It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• The Miracle of Magnesium

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-04-2005, 06:37 AM   #1
    chocolatesprinkle
    (female)

chocolatesprinkle HB User
    The Miracle of Magnesium

Hi everybody

This is the title of a book by Carolyn Dean, a medical doctor and naturopath.

Let me tell you how I stumbled onto this book. I have been having migraines, and they have been bumping up their frequency in the past 2-3 months, coming weekly, now sometimes twice a week. I had heard in the past that magnesium was good for migraines. So, I had 2 migraines last week, and each time I took magnesium. By the time I woke up in the morning, I had no headache or hangover effect. Nary a headache since, and the right side of my head which perpetually felt achy and itching to blow out into a headache feels fine. I thought, hmmm, there is something to this. I did some research, and found this book, and ordered it from the library. This is what I do sometimes, so I can then see whether I want to buy it. (And FWIW, I've now ordered it.)

Like I said, I had heard that magnesium was good for headaches, but I was taking some good vitamins, and thought I was getting enough. Apparently not. FWIW, I am taking a 400 mg tablet, and cutting it in half, 200 in the morning, 200 before sleep (yes, it helps with sleep too). I don't know if I need more; we'll see as time goes on.

If you want to read a little bit about what Dr. Dean has to say about magnesium, you can find a synopsis at Dr. Mercola's website. She says that many of us are magnesium deficient, merely from our diets and the fact that our soil is so depleted. The drugs we take deplete magnesium. Stress causes magnesium deficiency as well. And our bodies are under assault. All of this is explained in her book. It's an easy and quick read. Dr. Dean is a health advocate and educator and it's clear to me, she truly wants to help people. She is a doctor, and she went through that training, but she came to realize that the answers are not all about prescription drugs.

Magnesium is good for many things including anxiety, depression, fatigue, joint pain, PMS, etc, many many things. I will continue to be adding extra magnesium to the mix. There are also magnesium-rich foods you can eat as well. Between this and the aloe vera concentrate, I have been feeling a lot better this week. As you know, I'm trying to ready myself for trying the cat's claw again.

CS

PS I knew she had her own web site, and I didn't go there until just now. Apparently she has a radio program you might be able to stream. I had been thinking I wanted to try a naturopath, and she just may be close enough for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2005, 07:53 AM   #2
    cjFTWORTH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cjFTWORTH HB User
    Re: The Miracle of Magnesium

what a great story to find something to help you with migraines that is so non-toxic!!

i'm taking 800mg daily, mainly for heart support....

Old 09-04-2005, 10:38 AM   #3
    chocolatesprinkle
    (female)

Yes, very very good for the heart and she goes into that extensively. From what I read it makes sense to me that magnesium supplementation could be great for Lyme's patients because it seems to be useful for many of the symptoms we have, fatigue, muscles pains, aches, anxiety, depression, etc. Lyme depresses the immune system, all systems are stressed, and that's why these symptoms crop up. A section of her book specifically addresses chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia (but not Lyme). If I ever get to talk/e-mail with her, whatever, I'll ask her about this. If she lives in NJ, she definitely hears from/sees from Lyme patients. Her radio links are in northwest NJ.

Old 09-10-2005, 06:24 AM   #4
    ncgirl88
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ncgirl88 HB User

I think that Lyme also depletes us of magnesium because it uses it. So very important to get it.

I am happy to report that I have not had a migraine since January 2nd this is a record for me. I would get the kind where I would go numb in my face, hands, and mouth. My vision would be affected too. I think the lyme treatment has helped me. Now I am starting to think that my hereditary migraines were actually hereditary lyme...who knows...so strange...

Glad you are feeling well and ridding yourself of your headaches...

Old 09-10-2005, 10:08 AM   #5
    chocolatesprinkle
    (female)

The magnesium seems to be doing the trick in keeping the migraines away. I don't know whether I'm repeating myself but I think the migraines were a big red flag that I needed Magnesium. I had switched to a different kind, thinking it would be easier on the GI track, and I felt the headache creeping back in. Went back to what I was taking (Solgar brand) so that kind of makes me think these are good vitamins. The Mg I believe is also helping with sleep, and keeping the anxiety down as well. The woman who wrote the book said to take as much magnesium as your body can tolerate, and you can tell this by whether you get loose stools or diarrhea. So it seems I do well with 400 mg/day (split betwn AM and PM) on top of my regular vitamin regimen. She also explains how much you might actually be absorbing even though a tablet is 400 mg, e.g. Still got to figure out those B vitamins!

Closed Thread