It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Is Lymes truly gone?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-01-2005, 03:19 PM   #1
    alarose
    (female)

alarose HB User
    Is Lymes truly gone?

Ok...so I got one of those stupid deer ticks the beginning of the summmer at camp (I was a camp counselor). The tick was sent in for testing, and came back positive. So...just for precautionary reasons I went on treatment. I hadn't been feeling good the week before (tiredness, flue like symptoms, and acheyness). I hadn't gotten offically tested, because the doctor said that even if they tested and the test came back negative, I could still have it. I am not quite sure how that works...but so I went on Doxicilin (sp???).

That made me SICK! For a whole week I had to leave camp, because I couldn't even sit up. I never threw up the meds, and I was told as long as I could keep them down I should keep taking them because they were the best out there. So I did...the sickness got better for awhile, but even towards the end I was feeling ill for about an hour a day (randomly).

So...after I finished the meds I was still getting sick, and still getting tired. The acheness went away. Part of me felt like it was mental, because I was scared. From what I had been told that medicine should have cleared up the virus, and from talking to some people they hinted it was in my head. So, I went for another week without meds and it kinda got worse.

So...ok...let me back up again. I got the tick mid-May, and I didn't start the antibiotics until mid July. So, it was early enough. I took the meds and waited for a week or two, and I didn't start another set of meds until Auguest (I think that is how that worked out)...just in case that info is important.

So...I went home and went to the doctor (first time there about the Lymes...my mom had been working with a doctor before that because I had a hard time leaveing camp...kind of an emotional hard time leaveing camp because I was scared). I got tested for Lymes, and it came back positive. The doctor told me that doesn't necessary mean that I still have it, because tests can still come back postive even if it isn't active. That didn't make sense to me....but anyways.

So, then I took Amoxicilin (sry, sp??? again). I took that for like 3 weeks, and I think it cleared it up. I was getting sick and still tired, and just felt crappy and not like myself for amost the entire 3 weeks. But during the last few days of treatment I started feeling better. By the end, I felt ok...not complety like myself ut ok. A few days after that I (had originally thought that I was better...but have you felt sick for so long you couldn't remember how it felt to feel better?)...well, I literally woke up one Tuesday morning and felt GREAT>

So...after that I have been good. No symptoms...no sickness. I am confuzed though...I've talked to my doctor (which is a pretty small town/city doctor), and she has told me that the Lymes is gone. From what I have read about though, it is never gone?

I read on the board somewhere that someone can have Lymes, and it might not appear until some kind of trauma that brings down your immune system...could that happen again?

Is the Lymes totally gone? Or is it just dormant and waiting, and my doctor isn't just wanting to upset me. Thanks for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #2
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User
    Re: Is Lymes truly gone?

Hi alarose,

Welcome to the site! Sorry to hear about your experience and it's good that you came to this board to post questions.

Because the tick was positive for Lyme, that automatically makes you positive.

As far as if the Lyme is gone for good, I don't honestly know. There was an interim of 4 weeks before you started the Doxycycline so I don't know if you took the antibiotics long enough.

Lyme is a complicated disease, I also had days when I felt great but later on I felt terrible again.

People do get completely cured and I highly recommend that you get your blood tested at a reputable Lab (IgeneX Labs in Palo Alto, CA is the best in the U.S.), please don't use Quest or Labcorp.

By getting your blood tested (a doctor will have to sign for the test), then you will know if you are free from Lyme. You will also find out if you are coinfected as ticks usually transmit more than one form of the lyme bacteria.

I am not saying that you are still sick, I pray that you are not! I am saying that just to be on the safe side, get tested so you know for sure.

Please keep us posted!
    Denise

Closed Thread