It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Detox baths -- how do they help? I'm confused w/questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
    Detox baths -- how do they help? I'm confused w/questions

Help! How is a detox bath supposed to work?

I tried it last year, but I was so sick that either I didn't remember to take a detox bath or I jsut didn't care cuz I was too fogged out.

I've decided to give a try again - detox baths every night for 30 days. I pour Epsom salts into a hot running bath and 2 bottles of Hydrogen Peroxide. I make it as hot as I can stand it. While in there, I scrub every inch of my skin surface with a nail brush (I read here that this helps with absorbtion). I soak for 30 minutes or as long as I can stand the heat.

Am I doing this right??

Unless your 3' tall, I don't see how a normal sized adult can submerge their whole body at once. Either my knees stick out or my shoulders & head stick out. I can't do both at once.

So which part of the skin is most absorptive? I'll be sure to keep that body part submerged.

Does anyone know the chemistry involved? Am I just soaking in hot salty water or am I extracting toxins? How exactly does the magnesium bind with the salt , etc.?

I notice no difference at all when I'm in the tub or anytime after I get out. I'm drowsy, but I'm always drowsy after a long hot bath.

What should I look for? How will I know its making a difference?

Any comments (good or contrary) are appreciated!

Peace and health to all.

Mickie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2005, 04:58 AM   #2
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User
    Re: Detox baths -- how do they help? I'm confused w/questions

Hi 6blues, I've been researching this and doing baths every night. It helps a lot and I have much more energy. I'll try to tell you what I have learned and others will fill in the blanks I hope...

Your skin is the largest organ of your body and has the ability to dispel toxins which build up in you. The part of the body that seems to release the most toxins is apparently the soles of the feet, so be sure to submerge your feet.

As for the heat factor, make the water reasonably warm and get in the tub, then increase the temperature gradually by adding hot water, but don't make it so you can barely stand it because you'll tax out your body and make yourself weak. You can't kill the spirochetes with super hot water, studies have proven that you'd have to make it about 130 degrees for an hour to do that, and of course the human body can't tolerate that. So if the water is so hot that you make yourself weak, then the bath may be counterproductive.

Dry brush the skin with a natural bristle brush moving in toward the heart as you brush. Using a sythetic brush will stimulate negative ions and affect polarity in a way that is not helpful. Your cells have energy and positive ions will encourage good health. Sounds hokey, but it's true. You should be brushing your dry skin before the bath for three to five minutes.

The salt doesn't bind with magnesium, epsom salt basically is magnesium. The peroxide and the salt work together to draw out toxins over time, so if you sit in a super hot bath for fifteen minutes that if not as effective as a moderately warm bath for thirty minutes.

You will probably feel very tired after the bath, but you should have improved energy the following day, especially after doing this for a week or so. Try to remember not to put toxins into your body all day long and then expect a bath to solve the problem. This bath will draw toxins out, but not like a garbage truck load. You have to "eat clean" and don't drink chlorinated water, don't use chemicals on your hair, no flouride in your toothpaste, no processed foods, buy organic fruits etc. If you have city water, you might want to get a serious filter.

I'm cheering you on over here...Go 6blues, you can do it! Yay, detoxing, wuhoooo! Detox, Detox, Goooo Detox!!!

Old 10-04-2005, 05:52 AM   #3
    gottagetbetter
    Veteran
    (female)

gottagetbetter HB User

6blues ,

The other thing too that I found to help is rotating the types of baths. Just keep your body guessing. Here are recipes:

1. 1 cup sea salt/ 1 cup baking soda
    2. 1 cup epsom salt/ 1 32oz bottle of hydrogen/ 2 TBPS organic fresh grated ginger
    3. 5 organic lemons cut up and juiced...put everything in but seeds

You want to be careful with the water temp. Too hot will cause the blood pressure to drop which gives you the wiped out feeling.

Like Sleeperwoken said ONLY use a natural bristle brush(health food store) BEFORE you bath.

In the #1 combo the baking soda rides the toxins and the sea salt you are pulling on the minerals. Most lymies are iodine deficient and we lap it up. I used to crave iodine in all forms. Now its only occasionaly that I do.

#2 the hydrogen kills the buggers and the epsom salt is magensium so another key nutrient that we need.

#3 you can do a search on lemons and how healing they are.

Hope this helps!!
    Happy bathing!
    ~P

Old 10-04-2005, 08:54 AM   #4
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks guys. I appreciate the response and the cheer!!

So, I put a natural bristle brush on my shopping list, along with sea salt and baking soda.

I'll remember to scrub down before getting in and to start with warm water then add hot. I'll also let my bottom half do most of the soaking

I'll keep everyone posted on my 30 day detox bath experiment.

Last edited by 6Blues; 10-04-2005 at 08:57 AM.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
    lymegirl
    Inactive
    (female)

lymegirl HB User

Hi 6Blues

Thanks for asking those questions. I want to learn more about detox too especially the baths. I've started using these foot patches at night to draw out the toxins. Not sure if they work.

I will be starting my detox bath regimen soon and will report back on the results.

Good luck and let us know what your results are.

Kim

PS Do you see Dr Eiras in Jackson,NJ ? Thought I read somewhere you're in NJ. Could be wrong. If she is your LLMD tell me what you think and what kind of results you have had with her.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:08 PM   #6
    ciconner
    Veteran

ciconner HB User

Oh man, I did the bath and forgot the hydrogen peroxide. Guess that was a waste. And it's hard to go for even a day without polluting my innards in some way.

I'm not in such good shape, today and it's killing my neck to sit at the computer, so I'll have to let you guys know how the bath and other detox stuff is going with me when I have more energy and less pain. I just started to give it a try since I think I'm having a herx.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:55 PM   #7
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ciconner:

I relate to not being able to be on computer. Sometimes I can't because I'm tuckered out after a day of work/kids/etc and other times because I've been a fever for 3 weeks straight and I just plain feel crappy.

I also relate to not being able to be 100% toxin free. I smoke ( ), I have a cold Corona occasionally and if the only thing to eat in the house is frozen pizza, than so be it.

I can barely do our regular grocery shopping, nevermind having to remember to buy organic. If it involves a separate trip to another store - no way! I can hardly make it to a special store for supplements.

It sounds backwards, but when I was totally out of it last year and I needed the baths the most, I just couldn't. I was too tired and too fogged out to carry myself upstairs or I could never remember to do it or I would remember to do it but I hadn't remembered to buy Epsom salts or peroxide.

I don't know what prompted me to start now; perhaps a post jarred my memory.

I've committed myself to giving it a 30 day try. So far, no difference whatsoever.

Good luck with your baths and maybe someday we can compare notes.

Peace and health to you.

Last edited by 6Blues; 10-04-2005 at 07:14 PM. Reason: stupid brain fog

Old 10-04-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lymegirl:

Thanks for asking about my LLMD. Yes, it is Dr. Erias in Lakewood, NJ. If its OK with you, I'll reply to your questions under a separate post.

I'm really tired now and I have to stay awake to take more pills (argh!!) and my detox bath, so look for it over the next day or two.

Peace and health to you!

Old 10-06-2005, 08:26 AM   #9
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I have a few more questions - please don't think I'm stepping on anyones toes, I'm just being curious.

- It seems to me that the purpose of scrubbing is to remove dead skin and oils from the skin surface and make it easier for minerals to get in and toxins to get out. What difference does it make whether I use a natural bristle brush or a nylon brush or a pine cone, as long as the job gets done?
    - It makes sense to me that the thinnest skin is where the most absorption would occur - ie: back of knees, scalp, inside of the elbows, palms, eyelids, neck, arch of the foot. These are also places where blood vessels are closest to the surface. Anyone agree/disagree?
    - Are the toxins drawn out through the pores?
    - What is the chemistry of the Hydrogen Peroxide + Epsom salts with regards to toxin removal?
    - So far I've had no sign at all that this is making a bit of difference. No red streaks, no red dots, no shaking, no pain ... nothing. What else should I be looking for?

Peace and health to all.
    6Blues (Mickie)

Old 10-06-2005, 11:02 AM   #10
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User

I don't know about all those things, but as for the natural bristle brush, I remember that Dr. Jernigan wrote in his book that the body's cells are charged with electric energy. He said that they are adversely affected by ions of positive charge (I think he said "positive" charge is adverse to the cells) and he said that the friction of the natural bristle brushes will not create any problems, but the synthetic brushes send off electric charges that are counterproductive to what the cells are doing.

The thing about Dr. Jernigan's theories is that he talks about things that can't be seen and things that take a long time to see results from (medically and spiritually). Personally, I'm going to trust him because at this point I just feel it can only help.

You asked "what should I be looking for?" For me, I get improved energy, much less fatigue when I do the baths. I don't get rashes, shaking or pain, and hope that never happens to you either!

Old 10-07-2005, 01:18 PM   #11
    ciconner
    Veteran

ciconner HB User

Well, I guess since I feel better I should stick with a little more detoxing even though I'm polluting. Can't give up that caffeine. Cold Corona's aren't too bad. A holistic nurse told me years ago that if you drink beer, drink foreign--less chemicals.

6Blues, that was funny. Pine cone. I'll really be embarrassed if you tell me you can really use a pine cone (lol). I guess it would be better than the nylon brush.

Closed Thread