It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Midline catheter vs PICC?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-12-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
    jvs
    (female)

jvs HB User
    Question Midline catheter vs PICC?

Has anyone had a midline catheter placed for IV therapy? I would be interested in your experience. How long did it last for?

I have chronic Lyme that is affecting my nervous system. My doctor is proposing 8 weeks of IV Ceftriaxone with a mid line cather.
    I spoke to the nurse who inserts it and she says it will only last 4 to 6 weeks.
    I think a PICC line would be better.
    Alot of people on this site seem to using a PICC line.

I am curious to hear from someone who has a mid line catheter.
    Thanks
    jvs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2005, 08:52 AM   #2
    dr246
    (male)

dr246 HB User
    Re: Midline catheter vs PICC?

Midline catheter has more chances of complications if it gets infected. and it requires a certain level of expertise to put it. As compared to PICC.

Old 10-16-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
    brennd8
    Inactive
    (female)

brennd8 HB User

Hi there JVS,
    I have Chronic Neuro Lymes. I Have a PICC line which was inserted last Fridau the 7th. The Doc tried to insert a Mid-line but could not locate my veins even with a ultrasound machine. For some reason my veins seem to be shrinking. Possibly because of the lYmes in my opinion. I am on Claforan 2 grams every 8 Hrs.
    Last year i was put on a Natural thing called "Glutathione" IV, this was before I had a diagnosis of LYmes. I had a Mid-line inserted and it only lasted for 2 wks. My nurse said it was not because we did not take care of the site or being unclean. My nurse then inserted another Mid-line in the other arm and it only lasted 2 wks and developed into a severe Staph infection. The other was also badly infected. At the time that the second one got infected my doctor suggested I go with a PORT and we did. It lasted about 4 months and then got so infected I landed in the hospital for a while. We do feel that with the antibiotic it wont get as easily infected.
    Hope it helps

Old 10-17-2005, 12:11 PM   #4
    dr246
    (male)

dr246 HB User

midline always has risk of gettting severe infection.

Old 10-17-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
    jvs
    (female)

jvs HB User

Thanks for your replies. I think the PICC line is the way to go.
    jvs

Closed Thread