It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• My detox bath experience

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-13-2005, 09:49 PM   #1
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
    My detox bath experience

Greetings! I'm halfway through my 30 day detox bath experiment. I want to share some of my techniques/ideas/thoughts.

I use hydrogen peroxide and epsom salts generously.

My baths last from 30 - 60 minutes; never less and I try to take the baths at the same time every day.

I use a luffa (sp?) and scrub my skin roughly. I even scrub my scalp with my fingernails. I think the purpose of the scrubbing is to slough away oils and dead skin; "raw" skin is more absorbant.

I keep the shower curtain closed to keep the steam and heat in.

Bb die at 106 degrees and our bodies fight infections by running a fever. It makes sense to me that the higher I can get my body temp - the better. I get up to 104 and I try keep it there for as long as possible. Yes, I bring a thermometer into the tub.

I have low blood pressure so I'm not overly worried about the high temperature.

Heat makes blood vessels dialate. Brain tissue is encased in a very very tight net of capillaries; different from the capillaries in the rest of our bodies. This is the blood brain barrier. I keep my head submerged to try to dialate these capillaries (only my nostrils stick out). If I can get these capillaries to dialate even a tiny bit, then more abx can get to my brain.

My symptoms are all neuro, so keeping my head in the detox solution can't hurt either - perhaps even draw out toxins from my brain.

Some areas of our bodies have blood vessels pretty close to the surface: armpits, ankles, neck, scalp, behind the knees, wrists, feet, hands, under the tongue (I swish the water around in my mouth). I keep these parts submerged as best as I can.

I sweat for about 30 minutes after I get out. Perspiring is a way that body cleanses itself so I think that helps also.

So far I don't notice anything out of the ordinary.

With this post, I'm not implying that someone else's method of detox is worse or better than what I'm doing - just different. I would never want to offend anyone here. As a matter of fact, I've used a lot of what I've read here in my little experiment.

Peace and health to all,
    Mickie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2005, 11:12 PM   #2
    TINUVIEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TINUVIEL HB User
    Re: My detox bath experience

Hi,

I have been amazed at the difference the detox baths make. When I first heard about it I thought it sounded a bit preposterous. But I definitely feel a difference afterward, I just feel better and sometimes am able to relax and sleep when previously I hadn't been able to.

Old 10-14-2005, 06:04 AM   #3
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear 6blues,

I have to give you credit for the extent you are going to with the baths. I know a lot of people have the big type bathtubs but mine is just your everyday normal one and like you in the beginning wondered how the heck do you get everything wet at the same time. I stay in at least 1/2 - 1 hour. I really need to put a clock in the bathroom so I know for sure.

I was trying to make the water as hot as I could. I was using a candy thermometer. I ended up lowering the temp because there were times I could hardly get out of the water and I felt the bath was too important not to take. I can't make up my mind if it is the stuff we put in that helps the most or the water temp. I do feel relaxed during and afterwards now whereas before I was aggravating the leg twitching. For a while I added the baking soda that takemylife talked about and the twitching stopped. If I do it every other day I can tell more the day after I have done one than the skipped one.

I never noticed until a month or so into the baths that my legs and feet were covered with little bubbles after getting in the water. I thought this must be the die-off or bacteria coming out but I am not sure if it is that or just the bubbles from the peroxide. I have noticed lately though that the bubbles around my ankle and the souls of my feet are much larger than they used to be. I want to think this means more is getting out but not sure. I haven't done the skin brushing yet. Ronnie has to shop and wouldn't know what a loofah is.

I have to laugh at you sticking your head under water. I was telling my homeopathic one time about how hot I was making the water and he started laughing at the theory because he said that if you "fried" your body then why wouldn't the bacteria just go to the coolest place, your head. He does believe in detoxing just not making it so hot you are depleted. I will say that one time when I was reading about detoxing or the colloidal silver it said to take it just before you get in the bath because the hot water and body temp raising makes the bacteria come out of hiding and the CS can attack it better. I wonder if this is the same for the samento?

I am glad you are getting some relief from this and hope it continues to go well for you. It is also a place to get away from what is going on outside the bathroom door which I think contributes to our stress level.

Maureen

Old 10-14-2005, 07:36 AM   #4
    cjFTWORTH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

i commend all who can discipline themselves to daily baths of 30-60 minutes... i've not succeeded yet...

for whatever it's worth, i read somewhere that adding the epsoms the first 5 or so minutes is good to open the pores, then add other products... figureed it wouldn't hurt...

i did baths including baking soda for several days in a row but have such issues with any discipline.. ridiculous. the hours i spend on computer doing research should easily swap out for a daily bath... again, discipline.

Mickie,

STAY at it - you won't know if the longetivity helps till you succeed - and it can't hurt!! Hats off to ya! cj

Old 10-14-2005, 08:59 AM   #5
    ciconner
    Veteran

ciconner HB User

Maybe that's why I felt so bad after I did a detox bath. Everything goes to my neck and behind the eyes.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:20 AM   #6
    sickandconfused
    (female)

sickandconfused HB User

sixblues...

can you explain exactly what to put in the bath. How much hydrogen perox? How much epsom salt? I too have a small bath tub, so hard to get everything wet. Should you make the bath as hot as you can stand it?

Also, is this similar to the salt and sea protocol I read about somewhere?? Do you notice any differences after the bath? either a herx or improvement of symptoms?? When you sweat it out after the bath, you just put the water on hot as possible and stand there w/ door closed?? for how long? I heard that people w/ lyme should go to saunas. So, i guess sweating helps remove toxins from the body?

Thanks,
    Nancy

Old 10-17-2005, 01:34 PM   #7
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi Nancy. I've noticed nothing out of the ordinary at all since I've been taking the baths. I wish I noticed even the slightest change (good or bad) but so far ... nothin'!

I can't remember to measure the Epsom salts so I buy it in the cardboard quart; I have no idea how many cups that is. I pour half the box and 2 big bottles of hydrogen peroxide into really hot running water so the salt grains dissolve. (I've sat on a few undissolved grains and it hurts)

I got this "recipe" off these boards; do a search for posts pertaining to baths and you'll find other recipes. Mentally, I can only handle 1 recipe right now. I hope someday to have the mental capacity to remember to buy other ingredients and try them.

After a few seconds, I switch to warm water and turn down the faucet so the water comes out slower. I get in when the tub's about half full and scrub every inch - between my toes, my underarms, my scalp, my face, etc.

I close the shower curtain partly to keep the air warm and partly because my other bathroom is under construction and my kids can come in if they can't wait.

By then my body is used to the warm water, so I change the running water to really really hot and let it trickle out of the spout so it happens gradually. While its filling, I try to submerge. My tub is normal (small!) sized and I must look like an alien crab by the time I contort all my body parts under the water line! LOL

My thermometers are crap and I dropped my Thermoscan in the tub last week, so I guess the water temp gets to 106 - 108F.

I keep submerged for as long as I can stand it - maybe 10 minutes at a time - then I sit up, take a break - then submerge again. On a bad night I can only stay submerged for 5 mins at a time.

I bring my cell phone into the bathroom and use it as a timer. I also bring water bottles, Readers Digest, thermometers, etc. I look like I'm going on safari!

My goal is to get my body temp up to 104 for a few minutes each day.

When I'm done, I drain the hot water, and I run cooler water at the same time. Doing that helps me to not feel so "heavy" and tired afterwards. It also lets me stay in longer which is way better han dealing with my two teenagers.

After I get out and get dressed and go about my business, I sweat for a long time. I actually carry a towel around with me.

If I was doing only the baths, I bet I would be noticing a difference but I also started TOA free Cats Claw and a new abx recently so I have no way to baseline this experiment.

I don't know if the temperature or the ingredients are the biggest factors. Heat does kill spirochetes, but only high sustained temps. I'll just keep at it for as long as I can.

Peace and health to all.

Good luck and happy bathing!

Old 10-20-2005, 03:36 PM   #8
    brennd8
    Inactive
    (female)

brennd8 HB User

Kudos to you Mickie,
    I take the Epsom salt, Peroxide, and Baking Soda baths, also. I remembere after reading your posts that when i first started doing them it was because of detoxing, but my brain forgets these things and all i remembered is that i do it know because it helps with the aches and the pains. I get it as hot as i can also mostly becasue i am so cold all the time. ARE any of you COLD alot of the time?:?:
    Anyways i think i will try to do these like like you are doing , Mickie and see what happens, Thanks for reminding what i was doing this for, !

Old 10-21-2005, 06:13 AM   #9
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User

Yes, I am cold all the time and have been for years. My hands and feet are ice cold. I have been reading, no actually studying, Dr. Jernigan's book and he has a whole chapter on raising your core body temperature and the affects of low body temps. One of the things he says to do is take wobenzyme N on an empty stomach three times a day. These are not digestive enzymes, they are systemic enzymes. He says you have to stick with it, but eventually it does help raise your core temp. I've been doing it for about a month and I am just now noticing a difference.

There are other things in there that he talks about too as far as getting your body warmer, I will add them to my list of things to get/do/try. I'll let you know how it goes. I can't seem to try everything he suggests all at once so I'm adding them to my lifestyle one at a time. I think I'm going to research the magnets next.

Old 10-22-2005, 07:16 PM   #10
    brennd8
    Inactive
    (female)

brennd8 HB User

Hi Sleeperwokern,
    Thank you, i will be waiting to hear from you!

Old 10-23-2005, 07:12 AM   #11
    chocolatesprinkle
    (female)

chocolatesprinkle HB User

Hi Mickie

Thanks for starting this thread, and for the many many details. I chuckled at the thought of your preparations - indeed, like going on a safari!

I too have had trouble with discipline, etc., to do the baths. I've done them maybe once a week in the past month. And I felt like crap afterwards. That also provided little incentive. However, I had one of the worst weeks I've had lately. Work is going to be crazy for the next six months, that's one thing. The other thing is that I had my ears candled. While she did this, she massaged each side of my neck, massaged the lymph glands, for approximately 15 minutes each side I'd say. I did this on impulse. I went home and read about ear candling, and now, I don't know whether I would do it again ! But anyway, my neck is usually stiff, and sore, but after this stint with ear candling, and the neck lymph gland massaging, my neck pain was off the charts. Soooooo, I've been using those neck herbal pads you can heat in the microwave, and yesterday I did a detox bath. Made a big difference in how I felt afterwards. Yahoooo. I think I'm 'on' to the benefits of detox baths. I think I slept close to 10-11 hours last night (I wore foot detox patches too). Unbelievable. Seems like a lot to me. But I've had many many years of little sleep.

And I thought to puy my whole head in too - I think maybe that does make a difference. I decided on a whim to do the ear candling because my ears bother me. Itchy, from the inside out. I'm afraid to get too much water in my ears though although I did let the water go in a few times. Great tip !

I've ordered a few books this week, I think partly inspired by what this therapist was telling me - even if the ear candling was bogus - it was worth it just to listen to her advice. She had ovarian cancer ! And she's detoxed her life and radically changed her diet. So I've started thinking about what's inside my house, what I use to clean, etc. I need to reduce the chemicals in my life. That's my newest effort. The books I found were by going to ******-dot-com and using the search terms 'non-toxic household'. I also am on the mailing list for this web site called women to women. They recently put out a newsletter entitled allergies and sensitivities, and there's a lot of information in there about toxic overload, and detoxification. Smartly written, interested in holistic approaches. The thing is, I think I was headed for toxic overload before I got Lyme.

Okay, I can see I'm going off into babble mode. Have a good day all.

CS

Old 11-15-2005, 04:30 AM   #12
    battling on
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

battling on HB User

oh my you have just covered the question i was going to ask, as i have done a detox and yet my twitching and pinching and shooting pains stopped, My head was in agony and my mood is so low.

Vrey dperessed as a result. now next day neck pain is starting and stiffness.
    It seems the critters are always up to something

Many thanks all

Closed Thread