It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Skin reaction to picc bandage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-22-2005, 08:39 PM   #1
    Pearlscale
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pearlscale HB User
    Skin reaction to picc bandage

The skin under my bandage covering the picc site is hurting alot and starting to get large blisters filled with fluid. This is a clear dressing that must cover the picc site. I'll call dr tomorrow but I'm afraid they may be closed for holidays. Any suggestions?
    This new picc line has not even been in 2 wks. No blood return today from the line when the nurse tried to draw back after she changed bandage. Bad sign.
    Marsha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2005, 01:44 AM   #2
    battling on
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

battling on HB User
    Re: Skin reaction to picc bandage

Hi Marsha
    Do you usually have a plaster allergy?
    is the bandage sticky anywhere?
    My son gets blisters if he uses plasters?

just an ideal, hope you manage to get some help soon
    it does sound uncomfortable.
    Take care
    Jules

Last edited by battling on; 11-23-2005 at 04:18 PM.

Old 11-23-2005, 05:47 AM   #3
    Pearlscale
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pearlscale HB User

Thanks Jules:
    I'll check into it. Marsha

Old 11-23-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Marsha: Sorry to hear that you're having a reaction. Those blisters sound painful!

Call the doctor N-O-W. Even if the office is closed, alert the answering service of your reaction. Perhaps doc can call you back and recommend a different dressing.

Hope things get better. You need your arms for shoveling food in your mouth tomorrow.

Old 11-25-2005, 07:35 AM   #5
    damz68
    (male)

damz68 HB User

Marsha,
    I have been dealing with itching, oozing, redness and blisters for a month know. My Dr., nurses, everyone who deals with me knows about it and nothing has been done to resolve it. I am pretty upset about it all and ready to stop the whole program. I hope you have better luck than I in resolving it.

Derek

Old 11-25-2005, 11:50 AM   #6
    Brocallie
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

You need to have the current problem attended to. In addition, in the future, have the nurse apply "skin prep" before applying the dressing.

Old 11-25-2005, 12:15 PM   #7
    Pearlscale
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pearlscale HB User

Derek, my blisters are drying up. My daughter who is also RN used the skin protection under the bandage when she redid it. We also cut the bandage after it was on at the top to miss the large blister. The pain from the blisters is easing. I go back monday.
    Yours sounds more like possible site infection. Not sure of the answer. My first line was pulled because of staff in the picc. I thought at the time it was the worst thing now I think it was for the best. Hope you get some answers. I do know when I call the office I have to ask for the nurse and have her paged. If I leave a message, I may have to wait a day and then I have had to call back. I think you go to Jemsek, right? How long have you been in treatment and status if you don't mind my asking.

Brocallie
    I thought I could get the attention quicker by letting my daughter change the dressing. She works on Peds floor and is familiar with this. She put the liquid skin protection on. It is looking a little better.

Thanks and Prayers,.............Marsha

Last edited by Pearlscale; 11-25-2005 at 12:17 PM.

Old 11-26-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
    damz68
    (male)

damz68 HB User

Hey Marsha,
    I have been on IV for 4 months and have been on orals for 7 months off and on. No change in the way I feel.

How are you doing?

Old 11-26-2005, 09:10 PM   #9
    Pearlscale
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pearlscale HB User

damz68
    my first picc line was put in couple months ago. Problems develped after 4 days , but I stayed on Rocephin until the end of the week. Put me on flagyl for c diff infection and then developed staff infection and had to have the line pulled. I had 2nd picc line placed Nov 4. Went on Priximin IV and probencid by po. Pulsed Mon Wed & Fri. Skipped the other days. Second week, I started Flagyl on M, T, W and stopped. With the amount of herxing I was doing, I was glad I did not have to continue Flagyl. I have a hard time with it. My liver doesn't handle it well.

Does any one take IV clinda and mepron po. How many times a day and do you pulse.
    Any problems I need to be aware of.

Prayers..................Marsha

Last edited by Pearlscale; 11-26-2005 at 09:13 PM.

Old 11-27-2005, 10:00 AM   #10
    damz68
    (male)

damz68 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pearlscale
    damz68
    my first picc line was put in couple months ago. Problems develped after 4 days , but I stayed on Rocephin until the end of the week. Put me on flagyl for c diff infection and then developed staff infection and had to have the line pulled. I had 2nd picc line placed Nov 4. Went on Priximin IV and probencid by po. Pulsed Mon Wed & Fri. Skipped the other days. Second week, I started Flagyl on M, T, W and stopped. With the amount of herxing I was doing, I was glad I did not have to continue Flagyl. I have a hard time with it. My liver doesn't handle it well.

Does any one take IV clinda and mepron po. How many times a day and do you pulse.
    Any problems I need to be aware of.

Prayers..................Marsha
    How do you know you have staff? What did it look like:

Old 11-27-2005, 12:17 PM   #11
    Pearlscale
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pearlscale HB User

I had severe shakes, felt really weak, higher fever (I think about 101) and ended up at dr office. They did blood test. Had to wait a week to get results. Turned out the staff was just in the picc line and had not gotten into blood. They pulled the picc line. The test results showed the kind of staff that is common on the skin. They think it probably came in through the picc site when they were using it to draw blood or infuse.

A friend of mine has had two staff infections. The last, got into blood stream. He was in intense pain, fever. I'm not sure of all the symptoms but he did end up in hospital.

So far my new picc line is ok other than the blisters I had. They seem to be drying up.

I think Derek has been having some problems with his picc site. He said there was pus and blisters. I havn't heard from him in last couple of days. Maybe he will chime in and let us know.

If you are having questions call your dr. What kind of problems are you having that make you think staff.

Prayers.........Marsha

Old 11-28-2005, 05:56 AM   #12
    damz68
    (male)

damz68 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pearlscale
    I had severe shakes, felt really weak, higher fever (I think about 101) and ended up at dr office. They did blood test. Had to wait a week to get results. Turned out the staff was just in the picc line and had not gotten into blood. They pulled the picc line. The test results showed the kind of staff that is common on the skin. They think it probably came in through the picc site when they were using it to draw blood or infuse.

A friend of mine has had two staff infections. The last, got into blood stream. He was in intense pain, fever. I'm not sure of all the symptoms but he did end up in hospital.

So far my new picc line is ok other than the blisters I had. They seem to be drying up.

I think Derek has been having some problems with his picc site. He said there was pus and blisters. I havn't heard from him in last couple of days. Maybe he will chime in and let us know.

If you are having questions call your dr. What kind of problems are you having that make you think staff.

Prayers.........Marsha
    Hey Marsha,
    I guess one of your lyme symptoms is cognitive, cause I am Derek LOL. I do that all the time. my problems are starting to simmer down. All the areas that were red and inflamed are now scabed over. It is still itchy at times but not near as bad. The funny thing is I keep getting cold chills in the area of the picc, it gets all tingley and cold feeling for several seconds then back to norm. My nurse thinks that I got it wet during a shower so last week I purchased one of those shower arm gaurds and did away with the saran wrap, it works great.

Derek

Old 11-28-2005, 07:16 AM   #13
    Pearlscale
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pearlscale HB User

Derek
    Cognitive, what is that. Think 1/2 my brain is gone and the other half asleep. Can't think, remember, spell. Have to keep my thought simple. dud... I use to be pretty smart. Hopefully that will all come back with time.

My blisters are scabbed and peeling also. Have the tingley feeling in the arm but I don't think that is picc connected. I do go back to Jemsek today. (start clinda and mepron).

I'll have to check into the shower arm guard. Took a shower earlier and my covering got wet. First time and I also use the Press and seal Saran.

Take care and Prayers......
    Marsha

Closed Thread