It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• ? for LUMPY728 or others who know about salt/c protocol?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
    Roman77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Roman77 HB User
    Question ? for LUMPY728 or others who know about salt/c protocol?

LUMPY728 ~ you posted on the main lyme info thread about a salt/c protocol you were trying and seeing positive results. I was just wondering how things went and if you could explain what this protocol is? i've never heard of it before. I am assuming the c is vit C? and salt is sea salt? but what is it? a tab or a mix? I am desperate to add something to my protocol that will help with the pain and lessen my symptoms during this lengthy treatment that's now going on 11 months. My pain meds are not helping anymore and detoxing is not cutting it either, yet my antibiotics continue to pile on the pain no matter what I have been trying over the past 2 months.

hope to hear more about this from you or others who know what tis' about. til then guess i will do some searching of my own on the board and net and see what turns up.

shanna
    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2006, 10:47 PM   #2
    Roman77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Roman77 HB User
    Re: ? for LUMPY728 or others who know about salt/c protocol?

ok i did a search for this protocol as it applies to lymes and i found a site that had pictures of lyme bacteria and the co infections dying b/c of the salt and vit c. this is crazy. the pictures are just gross and scary to think they might be in my body multiplying....not just the bb but other infestions aided by the takeover.

very hard to explain without sounding nuts but just one of those things i guess you have to read and see for yourself. i'm not sure what to make of it or what truth is behind it but these people make some good arguements. wish i could tell you all which site it is but maybe you'll find it through a search on the web...i know that's all it took for me.

protocol: supposedly 12 grams salt (tabs from a pharmacy) mainly want just the sodium chloride. and take up to 12000 mg vit c. with the salt. divided into smaller doses 3 times throughout the day. and a glass of water with each dose and plenty throughout the day to make sure it circulates throughout the entire body.

guess i'm not crazy about how high of an amount they both are but they are both soluble so the body will only hold a certain amount and use what it can and then release it. will definitely look into that some more though.

i think this is definitely something i am going to talk to dr crist about. i guess i'm at one of those stages where i've tried and tried tons of stuff but not had a ton of great results, might be worth a shot i guess. but even though i found some info on this i sure would like to hear if anyone has been following this and what results they've had. maybe some of yall have heard about this or tried it? share if you can.

thanks in advance.
    shanna
    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Last edited by Roman77; 01-16-2006 at 10:50 PM. Reason: brain fog

Old 01-17-2006, 03:13 AM   #3
    battling on
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

battling on HB User

HI Shanna

Thank you for explaining this in detail, ive wanted to know for a few days, i think there is a big and growing interest in salt and vit c.

I found a convo on it with another site and some guy pops up and writes, this is an essential method.
    I would hate to see your fatal result if you continue antibiotics.

Talk about push the subject, How to turn people away or what. So it all clammed up from there.

Realy nice to read it in a constructive thread.
    Thanks
    Jules x

Old 01-17-2006, 05:08 AM   #4
    battling on
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

battling on HB User

Dito

I to am not as sick as most and thank my stars every day.

I am interested in Health remdies always have been.

The more that try this then the more results can be found.

Although I wouldnt swap them for my antibiotics.

As they are the long term proven leader at the moment.

But i detox baths often.

My thinkiing is alongthe lines that we contain all natural things.

So to take natural things to aid relief makes sense.

But sometimes we need the modern kick.

Can a Salt and VitC be used in conjunction with Antibiotics?

Sherlock.xx

Old 01-17-2006, 07:41 AM   #5
    Roman77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Roman77 HB User

thanks for the chuckle there sherlock. nice to start off the day with one.

as to your ? i sure hope it can b/c i don't think i could ever go off the antibioitics to try them. at least not yet maybe if i saw bigger strides of improving in myself but till then i'm gonann hope that i can try this out with my antis still rolling. can't wait to ask crist about this. and i still hope some who have tried this will post about the results. i am so curious.

shannna

Old 01-17-2006, 08:20 AM   #6
    lymegirl
    Inactive
    (female)

lymegirl HB User

Hi Jules and Shanna

Jules you are too funny!

I asked my LLMD about this afew months ago without going into specific dosages. She had heard of it but thought the salt was not good (for the heart?) and didn't want me to do it. I wonder if it's something that can be monitored like liver enzymes.

I have been interested in IV vit C and am starting to research that. Saw some info on another board and am going to follow up on that. I see my LLMD in afew weeks and I want to ask her about that. I will post more info on that when I have time to research.

I haven't seen many posts from you Shanna and have been wondering how you've been doing.

Kim

Old 01-17-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
    Roman77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Roman77 HB User

good luck with the protocol kim. i know tronni has been on the vit c (i think) maybe she would be able to give you a heads up on what to expect. sure hope you have some good results.

and yeah i have been having a hard time last 2 months. so have been laying low. but thanks for thinking of me. thats nice to hear. thats why i love this board. but just seems like lately i take 3 steps back for every 1 forward. but am surviving. yesterday had a huge crying jag. struggling to take my meds cuz of the pain. and am afraid am wasting time taking breaks from my everyday herxes. am so sick of being sickand not having a life. jsut want to be better already, not years from now. but thank goodness for my boyfriend. hes the only one able to pull me out of those. just struggling with being 28 and not able to go out with my friends or deal with normalevery day life. seems llike i amlving someone elses life and i desperatley want my own.

but anywya i rattle on. hope things are going well with you and your treatments. making any progress? always nice to hear when others have good things to say and are making strides. so post away if you have some.

take care.
    shanna

Old 01-17-2006, 09:36 AM   #8
    arcticablue
    (female)

arcticablue HB User

From all that I have researched, the salt doesn't seem to be bad for the heart because there you don't use iodized salt. Don't ever try iodized, but rather sea salt or NaCl tablets from a pharmacy. That much potassium would definitely cause a heart attack! I tried this protocol for a few weeks and seemed to get more of a response from it than the antibiotics. I used sea salt that I got at Wal Mart. It didn't have any harsh additives other than a harmless anti-caking agent. Sea Salt is pure NaCl. The key is to start slow. You are supposed to take 1 gram of salt and one gram of c with plenty of water. You are supposed to slowly build up to taking 1 gram of salt and 1 gram of c anywhere between 8-12 times a day.

I asked Dr. C about this, and he said that of his patients that tried it, some claimed they got better and a some claimed it made things worse. He said that there were more that got better than worse. I asked him if I could try it, and he said as with any protocol, start out slow. I only quit because I was in serious need of detox, and wasn't sure if taking so much vitamin c would allow me to sweat properly. Let me know if you try it!

Jamie

Last edited by arcticablue; 01-17-2006 at 09:41 AM.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:50 AM   #9
    Roman77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Roman77 HB User

thanks for the input jamie. didn't know to start it out gradually. can't imagine what my systme would have thought taking that much to begin with. eek. anyway i am glad to hear that dr c acutally thinks fairly of it and doesn't discourage it. i wonder if the patients that tried it knew they were supposed to herx from it? that's what i'm seeing on the net. is that when taking this u herx like with on antis. guess that's to be expected since you're still killing of the keets and other stuff. just no way around it either route i guess. the more i hear and read the more i am tempted to try it out soon. just have to get over this herx first i guess and then maybe. what could it hurt after all? if it doesn't help then i'm just where i was before starting it which is a crappy place to be anywya.

thanks all for the extra info. hope it keeps on coming.

shanna

Old 01-18-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear Shanna,

If you go back and read some of Dr. Crist's paperwork he wants you to take as much Vit. C as your system can handle until you get diarrhea and then back off to the level it didn't cause this. I think he would like you to get as close to 15,000 mg Vit. C/day as you can. He doesn't say anything about the salt in the paperwork though. When I talked to his nurse she said the C works as a detox agent and so should be taken 2 hours away from the meds. My daughter has a friend on the c/salt protocol and isn't doing any better. I think it is just like abx, what works for one persoin doesn't necessarily work for another. Dr. C would also like you to take as much magnesium as you can.

I got up to 6,000 mg C per day with no problem but went through a herx and stopped. When I go off the rifampin I will go back on it. I know a lot of people who feel the C alone will heal just about anything. The only problem is that the pills are huge if you get buffered ones so I have been using the chewable and am afraid that can damage your teeth but not sure. I guess if you brushed after taking them you would be okay. Not sure if this makes sense to you but hope it helps.

Maureen

Old 01-18-2006, 04:46 PM   #11
    lymegirl
    Inactive
    (female)

lymegirl HB User

I wonder what the difference would be in taking oral vit c vs IV vit c?? I hope Tronni or someone who has tried the iv will come on and comment. I've printed some info out that I found on the internet but haven't had a chance to go thru it yet.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:11 PM   #12
    Roman77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Roman77 HB User

hi Maureen. glad to see you posting. miss hearing from you lately. thanks for posting about dr c's paperwork. i have been doing the vit c faithfully since starting with him back last may. i am usually at 8000mg or so depending on how crappy i am feeling. i didn't know about the magnesium though. i vaguely remember a mention of it during the first visit, but no specifics. i have been taking some with my melatonin at night. guess i'll check and see how much is in the mixed tablet. how much does he reccommend? have you noticed any improvements since uping your intake of it? maybe i should try to up that too and see if that helps any.

sure appreciate you input...as always. and the story about your sisters friend that is on the vit c/salt protocol. guess like you say each of us is different. supposedly the salt is what is actively killing the bb and other buggers, that's what i'm most interested in. makes sense to combine it with the vit c to detox though. but am sure curious to see if this will make any kind of difference. wonder if you can still take antis with it or not? guess i will ask dr c's nurses sometime this week. will let you all know if i start it and what happens.

guess at this point in my treatment i am getting discouraged since having such a long round of iv's this fall, improving a little in nov and some in dec and then now feeling like i am back sliding on these orals. think i am really just in a bad point right now with having had lots of herxes, seems like they happen within hours of starting a new med combo and even after lowering the dose in hopes of avoiding a herx. having had to change my dosing of ceftin 3 times now in the last 2 weeks in order to find something that will hopefully not make me herx in just 2 days. am waiting now to have this herx fade and retry it at an even lower less frequent level. sigh. so maybe this salt/vitc addition may bring on some more positive progress. still doing the research though.

take care maureen and keep me posted on how you're doing. sure hope your herx fades quickly. i keep you and all the rest of ya "invisible friends" always in my thoughts and prayers.

shanna

Last edited by Roman77; 01-18-2006 at 07:17 PM. Reason: tons of misspellings and lots of brain fog. doh.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:19 AM   #13
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear Shanna,

I was actually taking the magnesium at lunch with B6 & B12 before I went to Dr. Crist because the Buhner book said it would help with the twitching. It has to a certain degree. Some nights are better than others. I don't know if Dr. Crist specifies a target on the magnesium so you might make that one of your questions to his nurse too. Right now I take 250mg at lunch and 250mg at bedtime. Like I said sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

It is so funny that when I did the rocephin IV last year the twitching was one of the things that went away but I can't seem to shake it now. I know it is a major contributor to the insomnia. Maybe I should add even more because I will say that I could get the twitching as soon as I went to bed when I was on just 1 but now it just happens when I wake up in the middle of the night since I am on 2. I'll have to think about that.

My next appointment is 2/22/06 and this time I will have questions. Last time I went I had a long list of questions but there was so much going on for a first visit that they all kind of went by the wayside.

I wanted to tell you not to get too discouraged with the draggy feeling. Remember you went through this but even worse when you were on the IV. I think the new meds are just doing their job and the bacteria doesn't like it. It has to be depressing after starting to feel good and then falling back but it is all part of this little dance we are doing. Ronnie keeps telling me he thinks I am walking better with the walker. I don't feel like I am and maybe he is just trying to "convince" me so I will be more positive. We have often said before that it is so hard to distinguish just normal feeling crappy to a herx type crappy. I know people on here in the past have said they didn't even realize how much better they were because the change was so gradual. We just have to keep plugging away and hope we are on the right track. Hope today is a better day for you.

Maureen

PS So far the rifampin is not too bad whch is a definite switch from the C/Q & B/P combos. Don't know if that's good or not. Isn't it terrible how you hate it when you feel horrible but then you take something that doesn't knock you down and then you wonder if it's working?

Old 01-19-2006, 09:20 PM   #14
    Roman77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Roman77 HB User

thanks for the encouragement maureen. i definitely need it. i'll pull through though like always. this lymes isn't going to beat me, never ever.

anyway i will be sure to put the magnesium on my list of ever growing questions to ask the nurses. if it seems to help your twitching legs, maybe it will help with the tingling and numbness in my arms/legs/face. that would be great. they are so painful and frustrating to have to endure as nothing helps.

am glad to hear that the new meds are not going too rough for you. and i totally understand that feeling of are they working or not....sad that we have to worry about that too what with what we already have to struggle with everyday. sigh.

oh and good luck at dr c's next month. maybe you'll have some good progress with the new med by then. that would sure be encouraging for you i'm sure. i go back in march on the 15th. have decided to fly down this time. i can't bear the drive again. that 2 days down and 2 back was pure hell and i suffered tons. i would rather get the suffering all down in 1 or 2 days if possible...just a grin and bear it attitude i guess. so looks like mom or dad will be going with me as i'm sure i would be just lost and overwhelmed trying to go through all the airport stuff and i still can't drive yet. are you and ronnie going to make the drive again or something different?

well i'm off to try to get some sleep...doubtful but gotta try am exhausted. have a good day tomorrow maureen. like i said before, just have to reiterate...glad to see you posting this week. missed you.

shanna

Old 01-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #15
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear Shanna,

We are going to drive again but do it a little different this time. It is about 6 1/2 - 7 hours total for the trip and Tenkiller State Park in Oklahoma is about halfway. My appointment is on the 22nd but we will leave on the 21st and stay in a cabin in Tenkiller then drive in for my 1:30 appointment and drive back to Tenkiller and spend 1 or 2 more nights there. This is our Christmas present to each other. Ronnie so needs to get away for a few days. I won't be able to hike or anything but a few days in a cabin with a fire and no TV or phone should be nice. At least there won't be crazy kids upstairs like when we stayed in the hotel in Springfield last time. It might put a little normalcy back in our lives for a few days anyway. We actually spent a week there with our kids one summer a long time ago.

I think flying is great since you have such a hard time driving. I don't know if you saw Heather's last post that she is waiting to hear if she qualifies for some special flight for her next visit thru a non-profit agency. With her seizure problems I hope it works out. I wonder if they have anything like that up there that you might qualify for. That would be nice and eliminate some of the cost. Have a good day.

Maureen

Closed Thread