It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• What Is The Test For Ehrlichiosis?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-12-2006, 08:02 AM   #1
    brid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brid HB User
    What Is The Test For Ehrlichiosis?

HELLO ALL OF YOU, HERE IN MY COUNTRY I FOUND A LAB I CAN GET TESTED FOR EHRICHIOSIS, DONT KNOW HOW EXACT WILL BE, BUT THEY PERFOM 3 TESTS, I DONT KNOW WHICH ONE IS THE ONE I NEED TO HAVE, HERE ARE THE NAMES, THEY WILL BE IN SPANISH BUT HOPE SOMEONE CAN FIGURE OUT
    1. EHRLICHIA CHAFFEENSIS(IgG+IgM)
    2.EHRLICHIA EQUI (IgG + IgM)
    3.EHRLICHIOSIS, ANTIC. IgG + IgM

SIINCE THEY ARE EXPENSIVE, I MIGHT NOT NEED TO HAVE THE 3 DONE.. HERE THERE IS NOT A LLMD SO DONT HAVE ANY DOCTOR TO ASK, THANKS A LOT AGAIN!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2006, 10:14 AM   #2
    Pearlscale
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pearlscale HB User
    Re: What Is The Test For Ehrlichiosis?

This is the only one I do not have, so can't help you there.
    Prayers....Marsha

Old 02-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Brid,

I apologize for not getting the chance to welcome you to the site, so Welcome!

I have Ehrlichiosis which is one of the co-infections of Lyme. I understand that you live in South America and I am sorry that you are sick.

As you probably know, Lyme Disease is everywhere in this world, some people think it only exists in the U.S.A., but it affects people all over the world.

I suggest that you send your blood to IgeneX Labs located in Palo Alto, California but then again, you would need a Lyme Doctor where you live and that sounds like a problem, right?

IgeneX Labs tested me for every co-infection, and the one for Ehrlichiosis is called IGM and IGG, but IgeneX knows this already.

The other co-infections are called Babesiosis, Bartonella, and Mycoplasma.

I can only think of 2 ideas at the moment: that you contact a doctor in the U.S. who would talk to your doctor in South America.

My other idea is for you to buy a book that I have been reading and following the "protocol" written by a doctor who had Lyme Disease himself and is now treating people with great success using alternative medicine.

The book is called "Beating Lyme Disease Using Alternative Medicine" by Dr. David Jernigan. I have been using Dr. Jernigan's medicines and I am doing fantastic! Once you buy the book, you can order the medicines yourself (you do not need a doctor) and they will send the medicines to South America.

I hope you feel better,
    Denise

Old 02-12-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
    brid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brid HB User

thank you very much denisse! i was just cheking doctors on the internet, one that had it and had losts of succes with people passed away 3 years ago...his name was john drulle... what a lost. i would like to send my blood to igenex, but dont know how since i am in south america, i will call them tomorrow, anyway i had the test already done here, tomorrow i will know but i am not sure how acurate can be since lyme doesnt exist here, i will get the book you mention. have you experience phicological problems? i have rapid heart beat all the time, even with medication my cardiologist gave me, usually i have an average of 100 per minute..tremors, dizziness, weak legs, so pians in bones that comes and go, soome alergies on my skin, pain in the eyes zone that comes and go, and here all doctors are tying to convince me is on my mind, i did had beetween july and october big rashes but they went away..when those rashes go away doenst mean you are cure, right? my dad has a friend in misouri that he is the director of the hospital he works, he is a general doctor, so i guess he will help me in case my test are positive..i have been trying to fiond a doctor in miami , florida, which is the closest in the us where i live, but no luck... they dont put doctors name for lyme disease on the internet i guess, specailly not in the miami area... thanks you very much and hope you keep doing well!! what was your stage in lyme??

Old 02-12-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Brid,

You are very welcome, I only wish I could help more. Lyme does exist in South America, the problem is that doctors do not know about it, so they give a different diagnosis because they do not understand Lyme.

Most members here including myself will tell you that doctors have told us that it was "all in our minds" but we knew better.

Let me explain something to you: The main source of the lyme bacterias start with the "white-footed mouse" and those mice are everywhere!

Then ticks, mosquito's, flies, fleas, (even birds) feed on these mice (mouse) and get infected with the lyme bacterias which then infect humans.

I have had Lyme for 10 years now, and it was only during this past year that I am finally getting better after using Dr. David Jernigan's medicines.

I didn't have the rapid heart beats, I believe that is a symptom of Babesiosis. I did have a rash after I was infected, it did not look like a fried egg, it was large and itchy, I had to keep scratching it. It turned all different colors, it was very strange. I didn't have any more rashes after that.

My legs hurt me alot (for a long time I could not walk) but that is all better now.

I think the worse damage I had was to my brain causing what we call "brain fog" or confusion in thinking. That is also getting better.

I think you will have good results calling IgeneX tomorrow as I would not trust a lab in South America since they don't think Lyme exists there.

Perhaps your Dad's friend can sign the IgeneX papers for you to get tested. That is really important.

As far as a doctor in Florida, I can't think of one right now. I do know that a Lyme Clinic was supposed to open in Florida with a very reputable doctor. I will have to research that and give you the name of this doctor who is very well known.

Which country in South America are you from?

I hope you are not suffering that much and I am happy that you find this site,
    Denise

Old 02-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #6
    brid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brid HB User

hi denise! i got the blood this morning and my lab in peru is sending to igenex tonight, thay say it will get there is 2 days... i hope!i did the panel 500, Lyme Panel includes both Western Blots and your choice of PCR, the had whole blood too but didnt know the difference... i wanted to get tested for the co-infectiojns but didnt know which one to get, there are too many, i called them up and they said to talk to doctor harris , i couldnt find him.. maybe you know about the co-infections.. i just got my results from the lyme igm i had tested here, but was negtive..i think i had 12..but i i will trust igenex better,a doctor here form the laboratory send my blood.. so thanks go...i send enough just in case... can you explain me what is foggy head? i get confussed.. i fel like my head is heavy, like with rocks but at the same time, feels light, and dizziness, that is what fog head means?? thank you very much again!!

Old 02-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
    brid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brid HB User

hi denise! i got the blood this morning and my lab in peru is sending to igenex tonight, thay say it will get there is 2 days... i hope!i did the panel 500, Lyme Panel includes both Western Blots and your choice of PCR, the had whole blood too but didnt know the difference... i wanted to get tested for the co-infectiojns but didnt know which one to get, there are too many, i called them up and they said to talk to doctor harris , i couldnt find him.. maybe you know about the co-infections.. i just got my results from the lyme igm i had tested here, but was negtive..i think i had 12..but i i will trust igenex better,a doctor here form the laboratory send my blood.. so thanks go...i send enough just in case... can you explain me what is foggy head? i get confussed.. i fel like my head is heavy, like with rocks but at the same time, feels light, and dizziness, that is what fog head means?? how can i tested if i have it in my brain? since i have this dizzyness like vertigo and anxiety, tremors.... is doctor harrys from igenex a lime disease doctor?? maybe he can help me out.... thank you very much again!!

Old 02-13-2006, 03:18 PM   #8
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Brid,

I am happy to hear that the Lab in Peru is sending your blood to IgeneX. They are the best laboratory in the world.

From what you told me, your blood will be tested using Panel 5000. That includes Western Blots and PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction).

Western Blots are used to see if your blood is making antibodies (which means you have lyme bacteria).

PCR testing is more complicated and it is a very good test.

There are 4 coinfections called Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis, Bartonella, and Mycoplasma.

Dr. Nick Harris actually found and opened up IgeneX Labs so it would be good if you could talk to him about your tests. You may want to consider doing Panel 5010 which is the Whole Blood Test.

A foggy brain is just what you said: confusion, the feeling that your head is heavy, then light, then the dizziness. All your symptoms sound like Lyme.

I don't think Dr. Nick Harris treats people with medicines, you would have to find another doctor for that.

I did e-mail a friend in Florida to give me names of Lyme Doctors since you said you could fly to Florida from Peru to get treatment.

I am waiting for her to write me back and as soon as I hear from her, I will let you know and give you the information.

You may want to try and contact Dr. Joanne Whitaker, who runs another Lab in Florida called the Bowen Research and Training Institute. Dr. Whitaker is very smart and I believe she knows Dr. Harris very well. I don't think she treats patients for Lyme Disease but I am sure she would give you advice about what doctor to see in Florida.

Please ask as many questions as you want.

I wish I could speak or write Spanish as I know that would be easier for you, but I don't know Spanish!

You are being very smart and I know you will get some answers soon.

Hang in there,
    Denise

Old 02-13-2006, 05:50 PM   #9
    brid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brid HB User

thank you very much denisse! i juat came to see my infectology doctor which is the best here, but as i told you, no that familiar with lyme, here in peru doennt exist, but finally he decide to stop teliing me is my head and listen to me this time, specially since i told him i lived in boston in the eighties when i went to school there... anyway my lyme test here , the igg and igm were negative... but i wouldnt trust it... so hoping to hear something from igenex... what is the diference with the 5000 and 5010? the 5010 is whole blood, my doctor here told me that serum and whole blood is the same, that years ago doctors believed the whole blood was more but thay have discovered that serum is good too, specially if you mail it, like me, whole blood can develope clots sometime... i dont know, why did you suggest the 5010 anyway? is not the same?, he also said to wait for the results before doing the co-infections..but again, i can feel sure with my doctor here, even heis the best doctor in tropical medicine and infectologist in south america, he have never treat lyme disease.. i saw another one by the way that study in houston and just moved back to peru and have seen people with lyme, so i will be seing both i guess, sopunds crazy but i dont have a choice here...did you got tested positive for lyme in the 5000 test?let me know that please..also any suggestion will be very appreciatte..does foggy brain also means confused, zombie? thank you so much for your help. whis you the best!!!

Old 02-14-2006, 07:10 AM   #10
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Brid,

My tests were done so many years ago that I don't remember if I had the 5000 or 5010 done. I do remember my tests cost about $1000.00 as I was tested for all the co-infections.

The only difference is that the 5000 panel uses Serum and the 5010 uses Whole Blood.

I think you should just wait (I know waiting is difficult), for your results to come back (about 30 days or so) from IgeneX.

As I said in another post, you can always order more tests later on.

This is a good start for you! I think the more doctors you see, the better you are. I only wish these doctors in Peru knew that Lyme Disease exists in every country.

My father used to travel to South America to buy diamonds, I remember he would tell me how large the bugs were in his hotel rooms, especially when he would travel to Brazil. He told me "Denise, you can't imagine the size of the bugs compared to the bugs in the U.S.A., they are SO BIG!!"

My father had lots of stories to tell me as he would also travel to Africa. He had a very interesting life and I miss him very much.

Anyway, hang in there Brid!
    Denise

Old 02-14-2006, 06:11 PM   #11
    brid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brid HB User

Hi Again!!you Think The 510 Is More Accurate Than The 5000?i Will Like To Have The Co Infections Because Is So Horrible The Waiting!! Doctor Harris Suggested The The 200, 640,203,281, The Pannel 5050, But I Think One Is Missing, Cant Remember The Name, Something Like Mycoplasma?and I Cant Stand Feeling Like This! Yes, Is A Lot Of Bugs In South America, Acctually When I Got My Fiest Big Rush, The Fried Egg, Was The Day I Was Leaving Rio De Janeiro, In The Morning, And The Night Before Going To Bed, I Found In The Sheets Like A White Or Gray Kind Of Spioder, But I Trow It On The Floor And Killed Her... I Thing Ticks Arent That Color, Right? And The Big Center Of My Rash, Than Was Like A Yolk, Didnt Had Anything That Looked That An Animal Bit Me... Was Crazy.......your Father Sounds Like He Was Such An Interesting Person.. I Can Imagine How Much You Miss Him, I Miss My Mum So Much Too, She Passed Away When I Was 18 Just In My Face On Mothers Ay... That Was Soooo Painfull And Still Is..but I Guess God Knows Why He Does That...thank You Very Much For Your Support!

Old 02-15-2006, 05:44 AM   #12
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Brid again!

I think you should just do what Dr. Harris said as he is a very smart man.

Ticks are not the only source of getting infected with Lyme, Mosquito's can carry the lyme bacteria, Flies, and little tiny bugs called Fleas that like to live on animals. I am sure there are other "bugs" that carry the lyme bacterias, but so much more research has to be done.

Until later!
    Denise

Old 02-15-2006, 09:09 AM   #13
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear brid,

I am sorry I couldn't write before now because we have been having phone disconnections because of work being done by the water department on our street and they keep cutting the lines. I get on the computer and a lot of the time the screen goes blank so I try to read and answer what I can.

Anyway I just wanted to welcome you to the site. You will find the answers to most of your questions here. The members are a very compassionate group and if they can't answer your questions they will try to help in any way they can. We also know what you are going through so we can sympathize more than any doctor you see. When you feel down we will try to build you up. Can't ask for more than that! We do have a laugh or two also as I am sure you have seen. You'll have to visit our "green room" if you haven't done so already.

I have followed your story and am so sorry that you can't seem to find a lyme doctor there. We all believe that before too long it will be proved that lyme disease is surpassing AIDS as far as cases go. Anybody can get lyme and all you have to do is be where bugs are (that's everywhere). But because of the "crazy" criteria a lot of cases aren't counted even if they are confirmed by an LLMD and treated.

Your symptoms sound very much like you are fighting lyme and I hope you will have some resolution on this when you are tested thru Igenex. Before I tested thru Igenex I had 2 negative tests from 2 different labs here in Texas. When my new doctor (LLMD) sent my bloodwork to Igenex it came back with 4 positives and 1 indeterminate (undecided if neg. or pos.) and by CDC standards that is considered a negative because 5 bands are required to be positive. I actually was thrilled that so many bands came back positive because the other 2 labs only showed 1 band. The LLMD is sure that I have lyme regardless and I have been in treatment since October. Also the Mycoplasma test that is not offered by Igenex I believe is offered by MDL. Maybe somebody else on here can confirm that. Some co-infections are treated with the same meds as the lyme but I am not sure which ones. The general consensus is you treat the co-infections first for the lyme treatment to work. I honestly can't say why. But I will say a little over a year ago an Infectious Disease Doctor tried to treat me with an IV for 9 weeks but I never herxed. Maybe it was because of the babesia and bartonella that the LLMD thinks I have that was never treated. His attitude is that he treats everything (all co-infections) regardless in case a test is false. Makes sense.

Since treatment I have herxed almost every 4 weeks and that is good. Not for my body but good nonetheless. It is a sign that the meds are working and although you end up feeling worse it is a good sign. You will learn all of these terminologies as you go along. Don't try to learn it all at once as it can be confusing. You can probably look up Jarisch-Herxheimer (herx) on the net though and understand it better. It seems so foreign to take meds that can make you feel worse when in the past they have always made you feel better. Hard to understand but one of the drawbacks of this disease and how you fight it.

I know you are concerned about doctors since none there seem to be familiar with lyme but if you persevere you will come out okay. Some people on here go the natural route and some traditional. I was trying to go natural until my husband had something of a meltdown after 5 years of seeing me go downhill so now I see an LLMD (since October). I have an appointment next Wednesday. Doctors are even hard to come by in the states and I travel from Dallas, Texas to Missouri (7 - 8 hours) to see this doctor every 4 months. He will work through your own doctor if needed though after the initial visit.

I know you mentioned your father is friends with a doctor in Missouri maybe he has heard of him, Dr. Charles Crist in Springfield. If so maybe your father's friend could contact him and discuss your case when you get your results. He does have a great website under his name but be sure if you look him up you find the one in Springfield as there are a few Charles Crists on the web (not all doctors). You might even learn something from the site as it is quite extensive. At my first visit I spent 3 hours with him and he sent me home with 150 pages of info on how he treats lyme and what to expect. Very informative but can still be overwhelming at times. After reading it I still go back and look stuff up.

I know this is a lot to throw at you and can be confusing but sooner or later you will garner enough info that you will be answering questions for the newbies. Just ask Jules, she is a good example. Unfortunately there will always be newbies until the medical community realizes what a serious disease this is. When they do a cure won't be so hard to come by. We have had many on here who have been cured so be assured it does happen.

After 5 years of this and being told for almost 4 years that I had MS I feel I am on the right track to gaining my life back. I know you discussed leg problems and that is my biggest issue. After 18 months of virtually no changes (in retrospect I didn't have many problems at all at the time) my neuro gave me 1,000 mg IV steroids and it has been downhill ever since because they depressed my immune system. The complete opposite to what should have been done. Of course he thought I had MS. I now use a walker but hope for better days. I was a painter at one time but can barely hold a pencil let alone a paintbrush so that needs to heal too. One day at a time. As I said in the beginning I feel the herx reaction I am now having is proof I am on the right path. I don't believe just taking antibiotics will do this to you under normal circumstances. Something else you mentioned were brown spots. I have developed a lot of these mostly on the trunk of my body but they are like crusty moles but not as high. Since treatment started these marks have gotten even crustier and dried out but haven't gone away yet. I sometimes wonder if they are where some of the lyme is "hiding out" to avoid the meds. I think this is a bartonella symptom because it can affect the skin with lesion type marks. Not really sure though. I just finished a round of meds for this (bartonella) and the marks really dried out but haven't gone away yet.

I will close now and hope I haven't confused you. If you have more questions keep asking because somebody will answer you. We will all be waiting for your results. And don't forget that they can still be negative even if you have lyme. That is where a "real" LLMD comes in handy. Sorry for the length of this but I tend to be long-winded and everybody on here is used to it. I hope so anyway.

Maureen

Old 02-15-2006, 02:44 PM   #14
    brid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brid HB User

Dear Maureen, waht can i tell you... thank you soooo much!!!!!!! for your time, patience... i really appreciate all you wrote me... is sooo hard being here, everything started 6 month ago when i got that rush, but i didnt had any symtoms, i star developing in october..spent soo much money in all the doctors you can imagine, neurlogist, oncologist, general, infectologist, dermatologust, stomach,cardiologist, dentist, nose doctor,blood work, cat scans of whole body,brain mri, tons of staff, no one eevn metion lyme, the keep saying is my nerves..so even i take xanax and lexapro, i still feel bad! so after i found this site, i totally realted with it!and went back to my infectology, the best here, but still... had never had a lyme case..and told him that i lived in the states , etc and he start listening to me..finally! and also stating seen a new one that studied in houston and just moved back to peru, and he had seen some lyme cases over there...but still, he is not a llmd.. so i gues i will just wait for igenex and ask for the co infections, but scare too ause i can be negative and still have it, so i will have to wait more, spend more...and then i wont know a good tratment, my doctor here said if you have that is not a big deal, yoy just take doxy... like if it was that easy...my faher fiends form high school here, is the directos of san luke hospital in san louis , missouri, do maybe is something comes pout possitive, i might have to invest and go there.. is doctor crist too far away from san louis? can you send me his phone number? maybe is woth it to make an appoinment since i hjave hear the waiting is like 2 months..how much does he charge?i dont know if i mention it, but like 5 years ago y right arm got very swollen, i dont think i had a bull eye.. just very very swallen, red , hot , itchy, i was in maimi, went to enmergency room, they didnt know what it was, gave me antibiotics, penicilin and cortisone, got beeter, then days after i finished the medicine, got swallen again, went back to other er and gave me another antibiotics 2 weks and got better, and then i july got this fried egg .. very different as the one 5 years ago.... but what bother me the most are my rapid heart beats, the little like mosquito bites i get in my skin, not too may, but the worts, i feel like i am hook with electricity and like a shake, i dont shake, at least doest seems, but i do.. when i lye down i feel it the most!! is such a horrible sensation, is the whole day...and of course, the weakness in my legs, some times joint pains.. thay come and go, the only thing that stays 24 hours a day are the rapid hearbeats and the feeling of shakiness..maybe i am getting parkisnson or something like that...i take medicine for heartbeats but they are still fast... i dont know if there are medicine for the sahkiness feeling.,.. i will ask my doctor today..have you heard about that symtom?? i also been having for mothns now low fevers... up to 37.3 avery days and like a week before my period i have 37.5 for a few days...its crazy, i just want to feel better... and get my results. cant stand being like that. i cant do a normal life because of axiety...thnak you very much for your support and the suport the rest of the group are giving me... how can i accses the the grenn room??? a big hug for you! and hoe you are doing good!!

Old 02-16-2006, 10:44 AM   #15
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear brid,

As far as giving you Dr. Crist's phone number the healthboards don't allow us to give out information like that. They ban you if you do. I got all excited one time and forgot the rules and published info I shouldn't have and was banned from the site for 2 weeks. All we can do is point you in the right direction and give clues to help you find any info. When you key in Dr. Charles Crist you will find a lot of different gentlemen by that name on the site but the one you are interested in is in Springfield, Missouri. You will just have to be a "detective".

I can't say for sure but Springfield appears to be 150 - 200 miles from St. Louis. Maybe your father's friend can even get you the info because he is in the same profession. I hope you can find his website though because it is quite impressive. He worked with a Dr. Masters a long time ago who was one of the initial doctors to fight lyme. As I said before he tends to treat not only the lyme but all co-infections too whether they show negative or positive because of flawed testing. Don't forget the blood tests are just a tool to hopefully pinpoint lyme but you should be diagnosed symptomatically too.

The shaking business you talk about sounds similar to what I go through every once in a while. I will just be sitting someplace and feel as though something has shocked me and my hand, arm, leg or whatever is affected will kind of jerk. Nobody sees the "shock" happen but would see whatever is affected move. The "twitching" I have is somewhat like restless leg syndrome but usually happens just at night and is mostly right sided. Maybe 3% on left. I honestly think I have bacteria in my right hip and the sciatic nerve on that side. It seems to only happen when I go to bed and wonder if my temp under all the covers makes my body too warm and the lyme reacts to this. The problem is that it has really messed up my sleep.

The marks you talk about really sound like mine. They are brown and do look like warts and that is why they seem "crusty". Thanks for the good word to now explain these. They have gotten drier and I hope will go away when I am over this but they seem to be part of my skin right now. Most are fairly small but I have one that is a little larger and worried about cancer but a dermatologist said it was hereditary. I don't think so unless my mother gave me lyme.

Let me know if you can find Dr. Crist's site and if not we'll try something else.

Maureen

Closed Thread