It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• >>Lyme Disease a Possibility?<<

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2006, 11:10 PM   #1
    jms1508
    (male)

jms1508 HB User
    Question >>Lyme Disease a Possibility?<<

Ok, this might be a lot. But first, the symptoms I'm experiencing are:
    Headaches(rarely)
    Pressure in head
    Occasional muscle twitching
    Pain in neck
    Sore throats
    Worsening vision, blurry
    Pain in eyes
    Sensitivity to light
    Sometimes one ear seems blocked off
    Pain in ears
    Ringing in ears(constant, noticed most when trying to lay down)
    Constipation
    Irritable bladder(seemingly go a lot more lately)
    Muscle pain(arms and legs)
    Difficulty breathing
    Chest pain
    Fatigue/weakness(yet I'm unable to sleep well at times)
    Lightheaded(not often)
    Panic attacks/anxiety
    Difficulty concentrating sometimes
    Weight loss
    Loss of appetite/increased appetite(changes)
    Swollen lymph nodes(really worries me)

I found two ticks on me a little over a year ago. They were small and were pulled off(without tweezers). Months after that, I was sick and it felt a little like the flu. However, the doctors office was closed that day so I had to go to an express place. I was diagnosed with sinusitis and given medicine for that, which made things worse and caused me to be nauseous. Around the same time, I had to go to the dentist for a toothache and he said I had a small cavity forming in that tooth and I had fillings done. I had also noticed a swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck, but was told it was probably from the sinusitis. My gums started bleeding, and became very irritated with ulcers, and I noticed white stuff on the back of my tongue which I assumed was thrush, along with that more lymph nodes started to swell on the same side of my neck. From the base up to behind my jaw. My gums feel better from time to time, but now my tongue hurts in places when simply talking or eating, and my sore throat is persistent lately. I told the doctors I was concerned over oral cancer, but my dentist saw no indications and the ENT I was referred to told me the lymph nodes weren't abnormally swollen and he felt that we should just watch and see if any growth occurs. So I'm currently waiting for my next appointment with the ENT, which is Friday. Since the last visit, I've noticed some swollen lymph nodes on the left side of my neck as well, almost in the same places. I read somewhere that dental problems can be related to lyme disease, but it didnt explain what. Can these be related in any way?

I also had to go to the ER a few weeks ago for chest pain and difficulty breathing. They said it sounded like anxiety to them, so they gave me a dose of Ativan(lorazepam) to help me sleep and suggested talking with my doctor about anxiety. He put me on Zoloft(all of my symptoms started before taking any drugs, so it's not side effects).

The ringing in the ears is very annoying. Sleeping with a tv on helps some, but it sounds like I'm hearing crickets all the time. And strangely, it sounds like it's only in one ear. But anyway, I'm just wondering if this sounds like lyme disease, or maybe a combination of LD and something else with all the dental problems. Any help/info is greatly appreciated. Sorry if I wrote a lot.. Thanks for taking the time to read this. God bless.

Oh yeah, more stuff. Forgot to mention my doctor heard a heart murmur during a ckeck-up. He had an EKG and echocardiogram done, neither showing anything serious I guess. I think he called it an 'innocent murmur'? Not sure if that has any significance.

Last edited by jms1508; 03-19-2006 at 12:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2006, 03:35 AM   #2
    dealer1111
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

dealer1111 HB User
    Re: >>Lyme Disease a Possibility?<<

When you find two ticks ebedded in you, its a sure sign that you may have contracted Lyme or Co-Infections.

Please you need to get to a LLMD to have a good chance of beating it.

Good luck and sorry you feel so ill. I've been through many of what you listed.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:52 AM   #3
    J0J0
    Inactive

J0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB User

Hi Jms...i Like You Knew When I Was Bit..took Only "one" Day For Me To Start Having Problems...because None Of My Test Would Come Out Positive No One Would Believe Me...i Had Beautiful Healthy Gums And Teeth. When I Had A Check Up A Couple Years After Being Bit...my Gums Bleed..and They Were Loose!! My Pockets Were Huge!!!!! I Also Had The Ringing In The Ears...i Always Thought It Was From The Med's..now That I Am Off Of Them...my Ears Still Ring!!! Don't Whatever You Do Go By What The Doc's Say...save Yourself Some Time And Money And Get Tested...it Might Help..like I Said From 1992 To 2003 Mine Never Came Out Positive...only After I Had One Of My Picc Lines Pulled Did I Show Positive...this Stuff Is Weird!!!! Good Luck To You And God Bless!!!

Old 03-19-2006, 08:00 AM   #4
    battling on
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

battling on HB User

on my travels of the info highway, it read
    1 in 5 ticks is an infection.
    So 2 is relay high %

no one can be for sure but you are suffering awfull affects.
    best thing ASAP get a LLMD and some opinions and get some treatment

hugs to you.

PS if i put my earlier symptoms on top of yours they are exact.
    I then had some seriouse mental problems, memory loss and just all round interaction to life.

please get off to see someone soon.

jules xx

Old 03-19-2006, 08:18 AM   #5
    jms1508
    (male)

jms1508 HB User

Thanks for the info. I'm real anxious to find out what's wrong, as all my doctors think I'm healthy. I know I don't feel right, though. How do I go about finding an LLMD? I live in South Carolina if that helps at all.

Last edited by jms1508; 03-19-2006 at 08:19 AM.

Old 03-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #6
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi jms,

I'm truly sorry that you are feeling so bad. Your symptoms sound like Lyme to me in my non-medical opinion.

Most doctors do not know anything about lyme disease. I went from doctor to doctor for 5 years with my symptoms and the majority of them told me it was all in my mind. No one believed me, it was a rough journey.

Anyway, lyme is curable with the right doctor and treatment.

You are lucky, there is a Dr. Jemsek. He has a clinic in the Carolina's. Some people have to travel across many states to see a LLMD. Others get into planes and fly.

Try to make an app't and remember that you can always be put on a waiting list as their are cancellations.

If you have any more questions, please ask.

Hope you are feeling better,
    Denise

Old 03-19-2006, 08:50 AM   #7
    jms1508
    (male)

jms1508 HB User

Saw the website for Jemsek, looks like a good place. I don't know if I'll be able to go there though. Have to discuss this all with my parents and see what they think we should do. Of course, they blame EVERYTHING on the anxiety now that my doctor has me on Zoloft(which doesn't help, by the way), so they think it's all in my head. Makes it a lot more frustrating than it already is to not be able to make them understand. I've been through so many different tests and scans lately, all with nothing 'abnormal' and they're kinda getting annoyed with me. But I'll talk to them about it later. Anyway, thanks for the doctor. Very appreciated.
    God Bless

Old 03-19-2006, 09:32 AM   #8
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi jms,

I understand about your family, most members here including myself have family's that do "not" understand and think it's all in our minds.

You may want to buy the book "Everything You Need to Know About Lyme Disease and Other Tick-Borne Disorders, 2nd Edition" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner because it has lots of good information.

Education is so important about this disease.

Dr. Jemsek's clinic comes highly recommended as many of our members go there for treatment.

You can tell your family that it is a fact that Lyme is the 2nd fastest growing infectious disease in the U.S. after the AIDS virus (some doctors believe it's now #1).

There is also a "sticky thread" on the top of this board called "Lyme Disease Information" and you may want to print out the symptom list for your parents.

The sooner you are treated the better, as Lyme progresses and only gets worse with time. I really don't want you to go through what I went through searching for help for 5 long years and constantly being called a "mental case". It was truly demeaning but I knew better.

Good luck!
    Denise

Old 03-19-2006, 09:35 AM   #9
    battling on
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

battling on HB User

JMS
    sorry you are stuck in that position, once the doc says in teh mind its hard to shake that damn opinion.
    for 12 years i have been treated as depression, im so tiered of this.

There are essays on the net about how Lyme effects the mind, it imitates all mental illness.
    by Robert C. Bransfield, M.D. writes good ones. They are often about rage but show agreat deal about the mental change with Lyme.

Its only fair that Lyme is addressed and illiminated before anyone jumps up and stamps a label on you hun.

maybe find the essays and explain you may have the chance for a better quality of life.
    Im 39 and my mum although seeing the difference when im on treatment Still!! has trouble accepting Lymes. she will accept anything else BUT! it.

Treatmnets in the 1990s antibiotics where held back by GP's and they where instructed to encourage patients to take responsibilities for thier own Flu and antibody recovery thats when Antidepressants use grew and now takes the highiest % of perscriptions.

will be thinking of you , i hope your parents come through.

Hugs
    Jules xx
    ps many lyme peeps have brain scans MRI, EEG all clear. I have spent much on many tests and they have shown nothing.
    The only thing that helped me was treatment, if you get better you have it, if not you may not. thats how Poland do it.
    xx

Last edited by battling on; 03-19-2006 at 09:45 AM.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:22 AM   #10
    jms1508
    (male)

jms1508 HB User

The Jemsek Clinic is only 2hours 44minutes away. That's not as bad as I thought. Especially considering some people have had to go to a different country even for proper diagnosis/treatment. Once again, thanks for the suggestion. And thanks for all the replies guys. Helps to know not everyone thinks I'm merely paranoid. Just gotta convince my parents. Wish me luck.

God bless
    --Justin

Old 03-19-2006, 10:41 AM   #11
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Justin: Good luck. This is a good site to ask questions or just vent. My family is not very understanding about my Lyme. Hang in there and let us know what happens.

Peace and health to you.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:56 AM   #12
    Pearlscale
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pearlscale HB User

Jemsek Clinic is LLMD and in Huntersville NC. I go there.

Your symptoms do sound like lyme. I agree with the others you need to see LLMD asap. So sorry to hear of your problems. Take care.

Prayers.....Marsha

Last edited by Pearlscale; 03-19-2006 at 10:57 AM.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:09 PM   #13
    TINUVIEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi JMS,

Sorry you have been ill.

Your symptoms certainly do sound suspicious, especially given the timing of your having found the ticks.

I too had to go to the er with chest pain and difficulty breathing but was told it was "nothing". Seems I've heard from other Lyme patients who reported the same thing. And I also had a doctor say I had a "murmur" (which had never been there before all the symptoms started!). OF course since it didn't get treated properly back then it wound up developing into Lyme related heart block.

Your best bet is to see a Lyme literate medical doctor for evaluation. The Cllinic others have mentioned in this thread is outstanding. I am a patient there and it was at this clinic that I got a correct diagnoisis. The treatment I am currently on is really turning the whole problem around.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2006, 07:36 PM   #14
    jms1508
    (male)

jms1508 HB User

Thanks for the support. This place is great.

Quick question-- Any chance eczema can be related or included in skin rash? I had eczema and was given something for it by my dermatologist, but it didn't really help. I stopped using it and it eventually went away on it's own. About a week ago or so, it's back in the same spot.

Old 03-19-2006, 08:11 PM   #15
    brid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brid HB User

hu jms...how big is your lession? i had a bull eye rush and went away and came back..same arm, but not same spot..i dont know what eczema look like, it that a big one rash?? hugs

Closed Thread