It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Does Anyone Have Eye Troubles?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2006, 05:20 AM   #1
    Burnt Bees
    (female)

Burnt Bees HB User
    Does Anyone Have Eye Troubles?

Hi everyone. Well I just heard back from my ophthalmologist after having a visual field test... i did perfectly. no blind spots. my exam was also perfect, just extreme dry eye in the blurry eye. Here's what I notice are my symptoms:

blurred vision in R eye(things are washed out, hazy, less sharp)
    eye feels sore, filmy
    many floaters in this eye, clear trails and gray dots too
    this is a weird one. the blurriness only affects my distance vision, but when i cover my left eye and stare out my right eye is blurry but the objects are closer than in my left. like in zoom, not so much, but definitely a difference. i also get the bold/zoom effect when i am reading closeup, but no blurriness. this is only in the right, bad eye. both eyes are 20/20.

now the doc says my optic nerve is fine, my pupils both dilated okay. visual field ok, MRI brain ok. what is going on? i was originally searching for a diagnosis of MS because the blurred vision was my first symptom, but i went to a top opthalmologist and he says, No Optic Neuritis??? Is anyone else experiencing weird blurred vision in one eye that cannot be diagosed? could thhe doc be wrong and i do in fact have ON? i just cant get a break...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2006, 05:31 AM   #2
    Roman77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Roman77 HB User
    Re: Does Anyone Have Eye Troubles?

hi...sorry to hear you are having probalems getting your issues diagnoses. that tends to be a story we hear alot here. i hope that soon you will know what you are fighting and be able to start a treatmtnet plan to get you back to "you" again.

i have lots of vision probalems. they started when my lyme whent active as it wnet blidn for a few days. i have been diagnosed with lesions in my brain from mri's. adn also had an eeg that shouwed i have delayed responses on the visual pathway, cant remember the name of it. but drs have said that when i went blind that it was definitely a optic nreuritis in both eyes. i have had vision tests/field of vision exams and such, and mainly nothing is different than "normal", but still my problems persist. many of the first docs i saw thought these changes and others were all due to MS, they were very very very wrong. now after a year of lyme treatment, my vison is still bad but in minor ways it is sometimes better, ti comes and goes in levels of severity. but constantly i have the floaters, blurriness, sensitivity to light, double images, jiggly/waving field of visoon, extened after images, poor night vision, and lots more. if you want to know more about the jiggly vision mickie (6blues) started a thread about it the other week, called question for Romans12:12...a few of us describe the vision issues in it, plus i know there are other threads as weel that you can find doing a search on the baord.

i know lots of others here have vision probalems as well, they wil come on and share as well. i hope that with treatment your vision will get better, the cods are hoping that mine will improve at some point as well. just have to keep thinking postive. hope this helps. take care.

shanna
    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Old 03-25-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
    battling on
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

battling on HB User

HI Burnt bees
    3 years ago when my neuro started setting in I realy got bad, i used to wear an eye patch over my left eye so i could do the house work.

It stopped me drifting left and falling backwards when trying to iorn. Some what all round better balance i think.

The other thing i notice alot, is i have a 2 picture vision, years ago if a camera broke you would get 2 pictures over 1.

Well it is like that but its the same picture moved over to the right and its all in dark shades.

Like when you have looked at a shape in the light and teh shape stays when you close your eyes.

i hope that wasnt confussing lol its confussed me. I think i got it right.

also get flashing just at lower eye lashes, spots, swollen eyes alot in the mornings.

Also when bad i have trouble looking at anything that is different levels of vision.
    EG: a dog and after a dog a tree and then a car. all in the same field of vision but at different distances, i cant physically look at it, my eyes hurt.

which isnt good on days i want to drive as i have to stay home.

hope this helps some.
    jules xx

Old 03-25-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Burnt Bees and all,

All I can say is in the 1980's I went blind in my left eye (still don't know if it's from Lyme or not) because everything was working good.

From what I have read, lyme bacteria's love to live behind the eyes causing these problems. I don't know why they like to live there, must be a good hiding place for them.

That's all I have read about this.

Wish I can be of more help,
    Denise

Old 03-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
    Egyptian EyEs
    (female)

Egyptian EyEs HB User

Hello Burnt Bees,
    I have some eye problems. I see fine. but the inner corners of my eyes are always blood shot and dry. Sometimes it feels like my eyes stick to my eyelides and my eyes burn. So I try not to wear makeup to close to the inner corner of my eye. But it still happens.

Old 03-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
    Burnt Bees
    (female)

Burnt Bees HB User

denise did your vision in that eye ever improve? i have heard of people temporarily going blind from lyme, but permanent? i am worred since my opthalmologist dismissed me and said good report, see you in one year!! i am going to see my GP on monday and discuss what he thinks are good further decisions.. i found a holistic neurologist in NYC highly recommended by Gary s Null, his name is Martin Feldman and he has dealt with lyme disease as well as his main focus on neurological problems like MS, so it will be like killing two birds with one stone. still i am concerned about my vision, so hope i could get in there soon. also have been having chest pains some dull aches that mean like they are coming from the muscle. i had an EKG and a chest xray--normal, should i get an echocardiogram just to be safe or are the above tests sufficient, gosh this is too much for one 19 year old girl to handle!

Old 03-25-2006, 02:38 PM   #7
    Smyle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smyle HB User

Hi Burnt Bees:

I am sorry you are having to go through all this, and especially if your family is not supportive. I also have vision problems and have had multiple, extensive eye exams. The opthalmologists can see nothing wrong with my eyes and the fact that they see nothing wrong with yours is good news! It will get better.

Unfortunately, a lot of the frustration of diagnosing lyme is about ruling out other things. I can tell you what I have had done since this all started. Upper G.I. endoscopy, stress echo, hormone and genetic testing, CT of the head, 2 MRI's of the head with and without contrast, holter monitor, numerous EKG's, 48 hour EEG, carotid artery ultrasound, abdominal ultrasound, 2 chest x-rays, extensive balance and hearing tests done two times, 3 opthalmic exams, 24 hour urine test for metanephrines, blood work for every dang disease imagineable- some multiple times, abdominal MRI with and without contrast, TB test and this week I have to do a sleep deprived eeg.

I am sure I have forgotten some of the things that I have had done. As Denise mentioned Lyme is the great imitator. A good LLMD will want to rule out many, many other things before they start treating for lyme and it is to your benefit to do so. If your insurance will pay for these things then I say it is worth it. But, first I would get tested for lyme. If your test from Igenex is positive then that my help you from having to go through a lot of this.

Don't worry, you will get better. Lyme is treatable.

Frango

Old 03-25-2006, 03:13 PM   #8
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi all,

Another thought has entered my mind about these eye problems. Ut oh!

I know that I have (had) ammonia in my brain and body from the lyme spirochetes. Every patient that Dr. Jernigan has tested has Ammonia (and Dr. Jernigan gets the worse case patients who have lost all hope).

I suggest that anyone who has eye problems spend $48.00 for 1 bottle of Dr. Jernigan's Bottle called "Neuro-Antitox II Formula CNS/PNS" and see after 1 month if their eye problems start to improve.

The reason I suggest this is because Dr. Jernigan states that the changes he has seen in LD patients via FACT testing (Functional Acuity Contrast Test), sometimes called a "Visual Contrast Sensitivity Test" are remarkable.

With the NeuroAntitox he has been able to demonstrate consistent improvement of FACT scores within a week of oral supplementation.

Improvement continues almost universally on repeat weekly testing.

Symptomatic relief follows the detoxification of neurotoxins, such as ammonia and heavy metals. It is suspicioned that there is a life-sustaining synergy between the ammonia and the Lyme spirochetes.

This suspicion is due to the fact of the more rapid than usual clearing of Lyme spirochetes from detection via resonance testing.

Anyway, what does one have to lose by trying this formula to remove Ammonia from their body?

Just trying to be of some help,
    Denise

Last edited by deejavu; 03-25-2006 at 03:17 PM.

Old 03-25-2006, 03:46 PM   #9
    Roman77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Roman77 HB User

hi denise...i had that vision test when i was at dr c's and failed miserably. i thinik i could only correctly answer 2 of the eamples, afeter that i couldn't make any of them out. i hope that at some point there will be an online test for theis that i can take to see if i'm actually making any progress vision wise. also just wanted to say that i've been on the pale spike and also the new neuro toxin formula from dr j for now 2 months and i haven't noticed improvements in my vision or anything really substantila yet. i think i have such a build up that ti will take me a long time to do so, but i keep waiting. i definitely believe though that it has helped with some of my pain and fatgie, a small bit but i'm willing to take what i'm given and smile liek it was a miilion dollars!
    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Old 03-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #10
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi all,

Burnt Bee's, please don't worry. My vision came back a little bit after doing some "brain washing" to myself which the doctors do not understand at all because they told me my retina had died. But yet I can see partially out of my left eye. To this day, no one knows of the cause. I can see everything though, so it doesn't bother me at all.

It may have not even been lyme-related because I had no other symptoms at that time. It just happened with no warning. I was healthy as could be.

I didn't mean to scare you, honest! I just could have had a detached retina, probably an isolated case.

Shanna, you remember that Jeanne had to take 8 times the amount of the Pale Spike Lobelia (now called the Neuro-Antitox II Formula CNS/PNS) compared to others because she had so much ammonia in her body that her liver practically shut down?

I believe Jeanne still takes that product but not such a high amount of it. I take it 3 times per day and I just keep improving. Even with my period and bad cramping, I did 45 minutes of exercise last night.

Shanna, just keep taking it because it's all natural and it can't hurt you in any way. I think it's one of Dr. J's best products!

Keep up the good work!
    Denise

Old 03-26-2006, 08:58 AM   #11
    gottagetbetter
    Veteran
    (female)

gottagetbetter HB User

Burnt bees ,

My vision is bad 20/1100 in both eyes. So I can't see far away or upclose. I do know that since I became ill my vision has deterated at a rapid rate. My floaters has definitley increased. Most people don't see these all the time. Because my vision is so bad I can see them up close and personal because I can't see anything else. Looks like when you are looking through a microscope at things.

The other thing that struck me was that when I was in college about 11-12 yrs ago I was complaining to my optometrist about the zooming that my eyes would do. He said it was because I was doing too much and my eyes were tired. He recommended reading glasses on top of my contacts.

I still have the zooming from time to time. I have the eye tabbing occasionally...used to have it all the time before I started detoxing. Now I really only have it when I am tired and pushing it.

I would definitly start some detoxing with baths, water, and organic foods. This should help some of your symptoms so you can function better.

I can tel you I remember when I first came to the board and Ticker was telling me I would read again and sure enough...I am reading more then ever!

~P

Old 03-27-2006, 05:20 AM   #12
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear Burnt bees,

I just responded to Frango about this in another post but I wanted to add that when the blurred vision happened to me I freaked and ran to the opthamologist even though I felt it was a reaction to 2 valtrex I had been given. He pooh poohed it and put me on 1,000mg steroids even though I could see, it was just extremely blurry. I had been having lyme like problems for 18 months (noiot knowing it was lyme) with absolutely no change 24/7 until I took the 2 valtrex. He wouldn't even hear that it was a reaction. My visual screening test I failed miserably but my vision was actually better than it should have been considering the visual screening results. My sister works for an opthamologist in Tennessee and I sent her my test results and her doctor was very perplexed at the results of the eye test considering the screening was so bad. I wish I had been closer to her because he probably wouldn't have jumped on the steroid bandwagon which has been my downfall. I truly think the eye doctors need to be as informed as the neuros about lyme since vision can be a major lyme problem. Unfortunately they are just as ignorant as the general medical community.

Maureen

Closed Thread