It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Igenix testing question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2006, 01:39 AM   #1
    kyle1
    (male)

kyle1 HB User
    Igenix testing question

Hi Everyone,

Well I'm fairly new to this board and I'v been seeing alot of stuff about the Igenix lab testing. I'v had severe eye problems now for about 2.5 years or so and I strongly believe it's from lymes disease. I recently contacted Igenix and they sent me out a whole kit of stuff to bring to my Doctor to have me tested for. I was wondering what everyone on here who has been tested through Igenix has been tested for. I mean what test should I have my Doctor do from this kit they have sent me. There is a list in the kit but wow are some of them expensive.

I was also wondering if anybody on here who has been diognosed with lymes ever gets the chills that you can not control no matter what you do. I get these chills once in awhile almost as if you were sick with the flu but only I get them 100 times worse then normal. It's like my body is fighting off an infection or something. I can be just laying in bed and the next thing I know these chills come on and It get's to the point where I almost can't even talk. Then once I get them under control in a blanket if I move ever so slightly and air hits my skin they start again.

I was told by a Doctor about 3 years ago that I had MS and he was about 80% sure of it and that I should get to a neurologist ASAP. So I went and all they did was put me in limbo for the last 3 years with unanswered questions. I'v had MRI's done, EEG's,nerve test, spinal punture,and every blood test inmaginable. The MRI showed lesions but the neuro said they were unspecific for MS. All the blood work that I'V had done showed no signs of Lymes at all, so the Doctors claim. But my symptoms are getting worse including my vision,memory loss,tremors, unexplained pain in joints,dissiness,sever muscle spasms,night blindness,severe blurriness to bright lights,floaters, and the lsit goes on.

Well I hope I did not boar anybody with this but if your reading this your probably in the same boat I'm in. I just want to start feeling better I'm a 30 year old male in Law Enforcement school and I'm losing my career to this illness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2006, 03:35 AM   #2
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User
    Re: Igenix testing question

Kyle,

So sorry to hear of your circumstances. I think we can all relate.

Yes, the IgeneX tests are expensive ! I just recently found out that many insurance companies will pay for IgeneX with pre-authorization. This request has to come from your doc. Do you have insurance?
    When I called IgeneX about what to first test for they recommended IGG and IGM. The total cost was $390. Yes, I was shocked, but was so glad to finally know what exactly I was dealing with that I would do it again in a minute.

Wishing you all the best!

Prema

Last edited by peregrine; 03-26-2006 at 04:43 AM.

Old 03-26-2006, 03:37 AM   #3
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Kyle,

Welcome! You have come to a very good site with lots of intelligent people and fantastic support.

I'm so sorry you have been going through all this, I know it's so frustrating to say the least.

When I was first infected, I also had the chills where I just could not get warm enough. I would shake from being so cold when everyone else around me at work was warm!

Vision problems are also common with lyme disease.

As far as the IgeneX tests go, I had all the tests done which cost me about $1,000.00 because I wanted to know if I had coinfections. It was the best money I ever spent as I found out I have Lyme and Ehrlichiosis.

I don't know your financial situation and if you could afford the "complete" testing. If you can't, then I would advise you to just get the "initial" tests done which is the Western Blot. That would be Step 1. I am not sure of the exact costs for those tests but they are considerably less compared to the "full testing which includes testing for coinfections".

The other coinfections include Babesiosis, Bartonella, Mycoplasma.

If you read the "sticky" thread on top of this Board called "Lyme Disease Information" you can read all the "symptoms" of each coinfection as they do differ.

Many members here have been diagnosed with MS to find out later they really had Lyme.

The good news is that Lyme is curable with the right treatment and a "reputable doctor" or LLMD (Lyme Literate Medical Doctor).

Lyme is also the 2nd fasted growing infectious disease in the world after the AIDS virus (some doctors state that it is now #1).

If you have any more questions, please ask.

I have Lyme for 10 years and I would say that I am about 80% better now and plan on being 100% cured.

It took 5 years of being infected just to get diagnosed. Most doctors kept telling me that I either had CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) or it was all in my mind.

I truly hope that helps,
    Denise

Last edited by deejavu; 03-26-2006 at 03:40 AM.

Old 03-26-2006, 04:41 AM   #4
    battling on
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

battling on HB User

Hi Kyle

Welcome Welcome Welcome.
    You will find alot of help and support here, many questions I have asked I have found the answers here, you cant do much better than a fellow sufferer to guide you through it.

Sorry to here of the impact on your life , its terrible what we lose along the way thats why we are all so essential for each other.

if you havent done this over the years i suggest
    The first thing to do would be to draw yourself up a 7 day column chart on exel.

enter temperature and changes, through the day.
    list all symptoms 1 to 10 through the day.
    Sorry i cant paste my chart.
    ( this i found amazing once i started this i realised i had near on 40, its so sly you dont realise after years of twitching that, twitching is not normal, severe ingigestion is just something i took for being me.)
    The lists on the net made me realise alot of the issues i had where symptoms and not me!

I also did a mood diary 1 to 10 from the pits to how it effected me intergrating in to life society and work.
    10 was working, active, gym and settled. ( havent got there yet but im on my way )

The 1 to 10 mood chart was extremely usefull and appreciated by phyciatrist.
    and the symptom chart was extremely usefull and appreciated by LLMD, as now i just post him alist of all symptoms but now they are under,
    IMPROVED/ NO CHANGE/ WORSE

once i started these and stood back from them all,
    As what once was not seen, i was now watching.

and now im hunting it!

with a big elephant gun

julesxx

Last edited by battling on; 03-26-2006 at 04:43 AM.

Old 03-26-2006, 06:01 AM   #5
    brid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brid HB User

hi kyle, welcome to this family! sorry we have you here but happy we can help you in whatever you will need.. i remeber i had my bull eye rash in july of last year, and after a month, the only symtoms i would have besides pain in the lession, very hot, and itchy, was mild leg pains,and chills....at that momnt i didnt really pay attention to the symtpms, since i though was an allergy or parasite, thts what doctors said, so was normal for me the mild symptoms, i might have mopre but didint pay attencion, but i do remember the chills beause thats when i bought a termometer thinking i migh have temperature, but really didint have temperature, from other peolple from these posts, i think everybody have gotten the chills.. but with in months i had develope more and more symtoms..i would recommend you to keep a diary of your symtoms and get tested at igenex..you can star with the igm and igg wich is cheaper then the complete pannel, those 2 are $195, better to have your test done without taking abx and try to see a llmd, because seing other doctors is just a waste of energy, time and money, believe, now , at this point, i know more aboput lyme that any reputable doctor inperu, i am the one teaching all of them......... really sad....
    big hug and good luck!
    brid

Old 03-26-2006, 07:09 AM   #6
    Smyle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smyle HB User

Hi Kyle:

Welcome, you've already gotten a lot of great advice from everyone. So I don't have too much to add. I do/did get those chills that you described. I felt like I had lost the ability to really feel heat and regulate my body temp from cold. After 4+ months on antibiotics that is getting better. Now when I get those chills it lasts for a few minutes. It takes a long time to get rid of lyme.

With regards to Igenex. Depending on where you live there are panels that they can do that will test for all the regional co-infections. If money is an issue you can just do the IgM and IgG test numbers 188 and 189 which are $95 a piece. I did not do the full 5000 panel which also includes the serum -and that is more expensive, because I had been on antibiotics already and Dr. Harris said that it would throw off the results. I got the answers I needed with the IgM and IgG alone. Also, Mycoplasma is one of the bacteria that also causes pneumonia and bronchitis so if you have ever had these or been exposed to these you could test positive. My llmd is an infectious disease Dr. and he recommended not testing for mycoplasma for this reason, but it is up to you. He has me on Ceftin and Ketek and he said those antibiotics would treat it anyways. I hope you are on the road to better health soon.

Frango

Last edited by Smyle; 03-26-2006 at 07:10 AM.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:30 AM   #7
    Pearlscale
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pearlscale HB User

Hi Kyle
    I want to add my welcome.

I am very familiar with the hard violent shakes. They have sent me to my dr a few times. Now I know to just wrap up and wait them out. I think alot of these are from the low body temp that lyme causes.

I had the Igenex IGG & IGM western blot. I do recommend this. I did test positive for babesia. So whether thru Igenex or one of the other labs get the co infections tested. But stick with Igenex for the lyme test. They are the most accurate. My results were all indeterminate which means my body wasn't fighting lyme. You get a neg, ind, or pos. Indeterminate is considered a positive by LLMD.

We all can understand how lyme affects the workplace. Most of us have had to change jobs, lose jobs, go on disability, or just struggle to make it through each day in order to keep the job you have.

I do suggest you see a LLMD. Post the area you live and someone will give you a LLMD closest to you. Good luck and

Prayers go with you....Marsha

Old 03-26-2006, 02:52 PM   #8
    debill
    Veteran
    (female)

debill HB User

Hi Kyle,

Welcome to the board...sorry you had to join.

I have been sick for almost 10 yrs. I went through the whole MS thing too...several times. It took several MRI's and 3 spinal taps to prove to my doctors that I didn't have it.

My best advice is to go with your gutt instinct. I knew for a long time that it wasn't MS. No one would listen to me. It is your body and if your not happy with your treatment it is time to switch doctors. Lyme disease can mimic many other illnesses so it is a good thing to have other disease illiminated. Your best bet would be to post where you live so someone here can recommend an LLMD close to you.

Good luck to you...deb

Closed Thread