It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Marsha Blood thinners?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
    battling on
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

battling on HB User
    Marsha Blood thinners?

Hi Marsha
    i read in Brids thread you are still on blood thinners, is the thick blood caused by treatment or by teh blitters.

I notice at times when feeling ill i do a glucose test, but my blood wont even spread across teh test strip and its very thick and doesnt drip, with a more pink colour than red..

What would be the symptoms of thick blood, i get many cramp pains in my left chest, im sure my heart on the right side of it.

Are the thinners perscription only or can it be purchased.

Thanks alot and i hope your fishes give you pats on the back each day you get out to see them. :-)

jules xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2006, 05:49 AM   #2
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User
    Re: Marsha Blood thinners?

Dear Jules,

I just wanted to jump in here and say that Dr. Crist states that 90% of all lyme patients have "hypercoagulation". I know that is why Shanna is doing heparin shots. I am pretty sure Marsha is doing this because of the clot problem with her picc-line but who knows maybe it ws a problem even before then.

I had the test done at Dr. Crist's in October ($450) and mine actually came back okay although I kind of got the feeling from Dr. Crist that he doubted the results. He said if they were true I would be in the category of 10% who don't have it. I really wonder about this and think maybe the thick blood is keeping the die-off from leaving my body and that is why I can't seem to see any progress. Even with the negative he discussed the advantages of heparin therapy but not sure I could do it.

He does offer something called lumrokinasse (sp), orals, that basically does the same thing. The odd thing is that when I was seeing the homeopath last year who does muscle testing with magnets he determined that something called natokinasse would help my problem. I only took it for a month but of course since then I have discovered the "thick" blood can be a problem with lyme. I think it's interesting because my visit to him was just $35 but the blood test with Dr. Crist was $450. The question is which one was right. I tend to think the homeopath because you know how lab testing goes. I keep wondering if I should see him (homeopath) again and see if it is still needed. It may be what would turn me around.

Then again I think maybe a low dose aspirin every day would help the situation too. Not sure about that and will have to investigate. Hope this helps. Maybe you can research the above supplements (meds) and form your own opinion.

Hope you are having a good Easter.

Maureen

Old 04-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
    Pearlscale
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pearlscale HB User

Jules
    Hope you are having a good Easter. (if its Easter there)

I am on prescription generic for coumadin taking 7mg a day. I have to go each week to have my blood checked. I am on this for the blood clots, but have to agree with Maureen with the likelyhood of lyme being behind it.

I was told several years ago my blood was to thick and put on aspirin, folic acid, B6 and B12. The neuro told me I was in immediate danger of strokes or blood clots. There was no thought of lyme then. (I know now that it was lyme and had been for many years.) I still think Babesia has something to do with it also.

My husband who also had a mild stroke last fall was told to take a regular strength aspirin every day. You might want to consider this. If so, get the coated kind so it doesn't cause stomach problems.

I thought up until today that I was doing ok with my blood clots. But today, my fingers and wrist are so swollen that I had to take my watch and rings off. The side of my neck that was swollen when I had the clots is again swollen. I just took a prescription fluid med to help with the swelling if it is from fluid.

As far as symptoms of thick blood, I don't think there are any until you have a clot. I do think that if you were to cut yourself, you would quickly clot and stop bleeding. But then I'm no doctor. There are blood test that might give you answers if you knew what to have checked.

I was told when I started taking the thinners that it would be for at least three months. I also had blood sent off for a special study to see if this could have been passed down from my parents. (I think it probably was) I had a grandfather & sister die from blood clots and a brother that has a blood clotting disorder. Add this to lyme and babesia and I guess it was bound to be a problem.

I know this is more info than you ask for but hope you get some knowledge from this. Like Maureen said, research might be good. and I know you are an expert at research. Let me know what you learn.

Prayers....Marsha

Last edited by Pearlscale; 04-16-2006 at 01:31 PM.

Old 04-16-2006, 01:58 PM   #4
    brid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brid HB User

hi guys!! sorry about this question, sorry my ignorance, but what are blood thinners?
    hypercoagulation?? i had a positive test called in spanoch cardiolipipna or something like that and was a little higher than normmal but doctors cant tell me was is exactly.. told me to see a reumatologist, but he did other test and didnt give me an answer... hugs!

Last edited by brid; 04-16-2006 at 02:51 PM.

Old 04-16-2006, 02:49 PM   #5
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

My friends:

For about a year and a half during my search for a diagnosis, my blood was routinely tested. Every single test came back unable to count my platelets due to clumping.

My LLMD was the first doctor to recognize that this "sticky blood" was a symptom of Lyme disease.

She put me on a supplement called Bromelain and within 3 months my platelets are normal and unstuck. They have stayed that way ever since.

Hope everyone is doing OK.

Marsha, sorry to hear of your losses to a blood disorder but glad to hear you are participating in research that may help someone someday!

Old 04-16-2006, 04:10 PM   #6
    Pearlscale
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pearlscale HB User

Brid
    What I am on is oral med to thin my blood. I have a PT test each week. (test that checks the thickness of my blood, to thin my body may not be able to stop the blood flow - and to thick I end up with clots.) I really don't know how much of this is lyme related. May never know.

Mickie I have heard of Bromlaid but was told not to add or change my meds (even over the counter meds) as this can change the PT (pro-time) of my blood. Hope you are doing better. By the way, I had a brother named Mickey (he was a heart transplant receipant but died 2 yrs after surgery from hepatitus caught from blood transfusion) Every time I see you post, I think of him. I know my spelling is bad, trouble thinking today.

Prayers...Marsha

Last edited by Pearlscale; 04-16-2006 at 04:10 PM.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:42 AM   #7
    battling on
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

battling on HB User

Hi Guys
    just to say thanks for all the great info, im sharing a pc with lad at the mo, so will be back later to read it all accuretly.

xx jules

Old 04-17-2006, 10:30 AM   #8
    battling on
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

battling on HB User

Brilliant lots of info here, i have been concerned alot as i have no doc whatching my treatment it all under cover sort of thing.

May have to tell Gp soon that i am treating my self...
    But dont want to rock the boat realy.

Going to try the asprin one aday.

Marsha, write as much as you like , it helps us all get to know each other more and the wieghts we bare and the looses we hold, are just as important. Its all part of us and our books
    (((((((((hugs)))))) xx
    jules xx

Old 04-18-2006, 09:56 AM   #9
    janetclarkson
    (female)

janetclarkson HB User

Hi Jules,

Trying to catch up as I have been away for a few days.

I have sticky blood as well. It was discovered by my LLMD who immediately put me on heparin injections for a few weeks (this was a few years ago). At the time I had a fungal infection in my blood as well and was really ill with it.

Since then I have been taking Bromelain and aspirin. The Bromelain is on prescription from my GP at my LLMD's request, but is available on the internet as a dietary supplement. It is a pineapple extract and primarily is for digestive problems. I take half an aspirin each day and usually get soluble ones as they are better for your stomach.

At this particular time in my medical history I was also having lymphatic drainage massage as the micro-clotting was blocking my lymph glands.

So although my lyme hadn't been diagnosed at the time, I personally consider it to be an integral part of the disease (for me).

Hope this helps

Love

Janet

Old 04-18-2006, 01:25 PM   #10
    battling on
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

battling on HB User

Thnaks
    JC
    buying asprins tomorrow when get some moola, out the wall.
    XX

Old 04-19-2006, 04:33 AM   #11
    janetclarkson
    (female)

janetclarkson HB User

Hi Jules,

Hope the wall is working. Its always gone bye byes when I visit.

Janet

Closed Thread