It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Medical Diagnostic Lab

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2006, 06:34 AM   #1
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User
    Medical Diagnostic Lab

Someone suggested this Lab as an alternative to IgeneX. It is definitely much cheaper (considerably!) Has anyone else had experience with them.

The test that I am considering having -PCR DNA for Babesia - is $650 with Igenex and $130 with MDL, or $78 if you pay yourself.

Prema

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #2
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User
    Re: Medical Diagnostic Lab

Hi Prema,

I didn't want you to think that you were being ignored so I am responding. Honest? I never heard of this lab but I did look it up on the net.

My thought is what do you have to lose by getting this test done by MDL? A lot less money, right?

They sound like they are on the up and up and if it were me (being on the budget that I am), I would try them for this particular test.

Let us know what you decide.

Denise

Old 05-07-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Prema. I believe some Lyme doctors use this lab at least for Mycoplasma and Bartonella testing (although now I think IgeneX tests for Bartonella).

Do they do an antibody test for Babesiosis? This is the one that has always been positive for me, but I know we are all different.

Old 05-07-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

My LLMD has used MDL for Lyme Western Blot, Candiasis, Bartonella and Babesiosis.

All came back negative.

I then forked out the dough to Igenex and found I am positive for Lyme, negative for all the others.

I guess it depends on how you are financially, how you confident you'll feel in the results, any experience your doc has had with MDL, etc.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Mickie

Old 05-07-2006, 04:05 PM   #5
    dianneom
    (female)

dianneom HB User

Prema, I found an old price list from IgeneX (2002). Test #650 Babesia PCR $135. --- 650 is the test number not the price.

Old 05-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

I forgot to mention my Babesia test was done at Igenex by FISH method. Pretty pricey if I recall correctly (couple of hundred).

Old 05-07-2006, 04:08 PM   #7
    lymegirl
    Inactive
    (female)

lymegirl HB User

Hi Prema

I have the same LLMD as Mickie and she used them for my co-infection testing. I only did the PCR & Western blot at Igenex, which was positive. The testing I had done at MDL all was negative. The babesia testing was done afew months ago after I had been on abx for several months. I suspect I have babs but was negative and not sure if abx made any difference in results.

MDL also takes insurance, and I don't remember being balanced billed for the portion insurance did not pay. I could be wrong but I would check with them. That might make a difference, cost wise.

Kim

Old 05-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
    Smyle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smyle HB User

dianneom:

You're right. I have a current price list Babesia DNA PCR test #650 is $197.00 at Igenex.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:05 AM   #9
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dianneom
    Prema, I found an old price list from IgeneX (2002). Test #650 Babesia PCR $135. --- 650 is the test number not the price.
    Hi,

It was Dr. H who quoted me $650 for the price. I wonder if he was confused.

Old 05-08-2006, 04:22 AM   #10
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lymegirl
    Hi Prema

The babesia testing was done afew months ago after I had been on abx for several months. I suspect I have babs but was negative and not sure if abx made any difference in results.
    Kim
    Hi Kim,

Dr. H said the abx I took prior to testing may well have affected the result. He suggested I wait 3 or 4 months and then do the PCR DNA test, which I probably will. He also said that if I have babs symptoms to treat as if it was positive.

Call me neurotic, but as with the Lymes test, if I hadn't tested positive I would have always been wondering if I really had it. If I don't test positive this time for babs I will be reluctant to treat.

Prema

Old 05-08-2006, 06:27 AM   #11
    brid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brid HB User

hi peregrine!! i had the whole pannel for co infections and babesia too wich wasnt on the pannel and it was $650, but that includes all co -infecccions..such as erlichia and bartonella...i dont hinks the test mycoplasma there,probably doctor H was talking about the whole pannel....the FISH is the most expensive one and i dont think is include in the $650
    hugs!

Old 05-08-2006, 06:30 AM   #12
    brid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brid HB User

hi prema! i forgot to mention this.. if your blood was negative for lyme, you can ask doctor harris to test lyme in urine, thats the next test he does is you really suspect you might have lyme and is negative in blood, is a 3 days sample Urine and they send you the kit, in there is a protocol to detox from abx with another abx....
    good luck!

Old 05-08-2006, 08:37 AM   #13
    peregrine
    Inactive

peregrine HB User

[QUOTE=brid]hi prema! i forgot to mention this.. if your blood was negative for lyme, you can ask doctor harris to test lyme in urine, thats the next test he does is you really suspect you might have lyme and is negative in blood, is a 3 days sample Urine and they send you the kit, in there is a protocol to detox from abx with another abx....
    good luck![/QUOTE
    Hi Brid,

I tested positive for Lymes so that is not my concern. I also had the total panel done, called Midwest Eastern Regional and it included the FISH Bartonella, Erlichia, etc. and cost about $590. The test Dr. H suggested I now get is a different one, called the PCRDNA test.

Best,

Prema

Last edited by peregrine; 05-08-2006 at 08:37 AM.

Closed Thread