It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Need LLMD in Maryland--waiting for antibiotics

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2006, 06:51 AM   #1
    Peggy
    (female)

Peggy HB User
    Question Need LLMD in Maryland--waiting for antibiotics

Hi, Friends,

I've just spent the morning reading many, many posts about Lyme disease and issues. In 2000, I had the Lymerix vaccination since I live and worked outdoors. One year later I had flu-like symptoms which tests proved to be Lyme disease. Was treated with 3 weeks of Doxy and seemed to be totally fine.

Now 6 years later, I'd spent March and April thinking I was having menopausal symptoms (hot flashes, cloudy mind, lethargy), plus a cold and sinus infection that lasted a month, and carpal tunnel issue--even have surgery scheduled for the carpal, when my knees, hips, neck and back joints all started to hurt. I asked PCP to order a lyme test for me. Results: 1.41 (units? I don't know, but PCP says its a positive test and ordered a Western Blot test which I don't have results from yet)

I know I want a good LLMD (I'm guessing that stands for Lyme Literate MD??) in the mid-Maryland area--Wesminster, Frederick, Balt. area) The one I went to 6 years ago who was very good (Dr Young Cho in Westminster) no longer takes patients because Lymes patients were flocking to her and her license is in Neurology and she was restricted in treating Lymes patients..don't ask me why/how. So my nice, but not Lyme-literate) primary care doctor is waiting for the results of the Western Blot before doing anything. I want to give her names of Dr.s I'm willing to go to (NOT necessarily the ones on the insurance coverage list) but I need referals. Hopefully one might be on her list too.

Does anyone have enthusiastic recommedations for me within 25 miles or so of Carroll/Howard counties?

I am usually the healthiest person you could know, eat whole grains and mostly organic food, bike, kayak, x-c ski...want to get back to that life.
    Byrd

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2006, 08:53 AM   #2
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
    Re: Need LLMD in Maryland--waiting for antibiotics

Hi Byrd.

Sorry you have to be here but glad you found this board. The folks here are terrific and very supportive.

Yes, LLMD stands for Lyme Literate Medical Doctor.

Do you know what lab your PCP will use for the Western Blot? My PCP used a local lab and it came back negative. However, when I sent my blood to Igenex, it came back positive.

3 weeks of Doxy is not enough. It may a good sign that you reacted so well to it. Maybe you and try it again with permanent results.

I live in NJ so I can't help you with a referral to a good LLMD. I bet someone will come along with a recommendation.

Perhaps Dr. Cho has a few names for you?

Thats really good that your PCP is willing to accept a Lyme diagnosis and to work with you. I had to see many doctors before I found out why I was walking into walls!

Good luck finding a doctor and let us know what happens.

Peace and health to you.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User

Hi Byrdcall and welcome to this wonderful site!

I heard about the Lymerix vaccinations and how it caused lyme in many people. Very sad.

Your symptoms sound like Lyme Disease to me as lyme does affect the joints and muscles as well as many other places, it causes "brain fog", fatigue, and the list goes on.

Most people travel long distances to see a "reputable" LLMD, some even have to cross many states to see one.

The doctors that I know in Maryland that come highly recommended are:

Dr. Kenneth Singleton in Towson, MD
    Dr. Elizabeth Lucas in Timonium, MD
    Dr. Mark Garzon in DC

I hope you can see one of these doctors. Even if they say they are not taking new patients, please ask to be put on their waiting list and there are usually cancellations.

If you have any other questions, please ask, okay? Lyme is curable when treated properly.

Feel better,
    Denise

Old 05-05-2006, 12:29 PM   #4
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear Byrd,

Welcome.

I don't know where the counties are you are talking about but if you have no luck with Maryland there is a very good doctor in Pa named Chandra Swami. This doctor is treating the quarterback from Florida State University. He was found wandering around last year proclaiming he was God. Poor kid. I think he expected to play this season but they have already said no he won't be back. I think he has been treated for almost a year now. He must be like a lot of us going for years with no diagnosis so it will take a long time to get rid of it. Good Luck.

Maureen

Old 05-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
    Peggy
    (female)

Peggy HB User

Hi and Thanks for the names and advice. Sure hope I don't start wandering around proclaiming to be a Goddess! (on the other hand....hmmm. ) I saw my PCP today. She gave me a prescrip. for 100 mg doxy 2x/day for 30 days. That'll buy me some time and hopefully have some effect. I asked her about Dr.Cho. From what she said, I gather that Cho was liberal in giving out the antibiotics, got very popular with the Lyme disease crowd, they thronged to her, other dr's I think got peeved that she had so many patients...making too much money on people who may or may not have Lymes since she didn't rely totally on the blood test...anyway, guess she going to get "voted off the island" if she didn't stop treating LD patients and went back the the neurolgy patients expected. Politics in medicine at work.

I still fel lousy, but its sinus congestion that has me pitiful today. I'll start my doxy day after tomorrow when my Z-pak for lymph node swelling is done. I'm really not a hypocondriac. I swear. Still waiting for result from the Western Blot. Last time I had the western blot result on one aspect of the test were negative, and the other side "inconclusive" possibly due to having had a Lymerix vaccine a year before. (I wonder if the vaccine caused my original bout with lyme disease...comments?) Thanks, Friends...I am reading your comments with great interest!
    Byrd

Old 05-05-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
    Smyle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smyle HB User

Hi Byrdcall:

Welcome to the lyme board. Sorry you have to be here. Zithromax works for lyme, too. Have you had any reactions to it?

Since you had LymeRx it is really, really important that you find an LLMD. Please don't be alarmed and I hope this is not the case for you, but it caused antibiotic resistant lyme in some of the people who got it. Look up information on this so you are informed. That is the real reason that it was pulled off the market, not because of lack of demand.

Please let us know if you need help finding an LLMD.

Frango

Old 05-06-2006, 06:09 AM   #7
    Betterdaysforme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Betterdaysforme HB User

Dear Byrd,

You would probably have to really search to find it but a lot of people on here started out with the flu-like symptoms but many, myself included, started out with a sinus infection. I think the lyme especially likes anyplace in the head such as the sinuses, eyes, and the brain. A lot of people have ear problems too. I had totally forgotten about the sinus problem until 2 years after being told I had MS (NOT) and I went back and looked up old doctor records (where I worked part-time) and saw I had taken abx for a sinus infection about a month before I really got sick and right after returning from a hiking trip to Maine. Connection, who knows but I think maybe because of all the people on here who remember having one too. Hope this helps. I think you are in a somewhat different category because of the vaccine just like I feel my case differs slightly because of the massive doses of IV steroids they gave me for MS. I feel the "modern" medicine at times has hurt more than helped.

Maureen

Old 05-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #8
    Peggy
    (female)

Peggy HB User

Thanks, Frango and Maureen,
    I am learning so much from you and the others. I didn't know that LymeRx may be responsible for a abx-resistant lyme. Sure hope I don't have that strain. I really felt somehting happen in my body when I was taking antibiotics for my recent sinus infection. Like my joints one by one were going each day. One day I said to my husband,"Today, every pair of joints in my body are achy, except my feet." The very next day, my feet were really hurting...at one point I felt like I was walking on a broken bone in there. Luckily that didn't last. I blamed the antibiotics, but then the achiness kept on well after I stopped the antibiotics.
    The good news is my PCP gave me doxycyline which I started today. Not sure I feel any improvement yet, but I'm optimistic. Dang this head cold again. Hopefully the spirochetes haven't made my sinuses and brain into their new home. Interesting sinus connection, Maureen. I'll keep my eye on that in the future.... well sure enjoy you comments. Thanks again.
    Byrd

Old 07-15-2006, 09:18 AM   #9
    Bill S
    Inactive
    (male)

Bill S HB User

You also might try Trent Nichols in Hanover PA...just went to see him and am having some tests ordered up. VERY hard to find anyone who knows jack about Lymes around here. He doesn't take any insurance, but the tests MAY be covered by your insurance.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:33 AM   #10
    TINUVIEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

Welcome to the board, sorry you have to be here.

Quote:
    (I wonder if the vaccine caused my original bout with lyme disease...comments?)
    There were reports that the vaccine was producing Lyme-like arthritis and neurological symptoms in people who received it. Listed as reported side effects of the Lymerix vaccine includes 640 emergency room visits, 34 life-threatening reactions, 77 hospitalizations, 198 disabilities, and 6 deaths. Not surprisingly, hundreds of class action lawsuits followed.

Closed Thread