It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• test came back...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
    purplepiegirl
    (female)

purplepiegirl HB User
    test came back...

I need a bit of info from you guys. I had a lyme test done(sorry I dont know what kind) through labcorp and it came back borderline. My dr. is sending it out for a western blot test. I have been feeling ill for about two years now but I would have had lyme for about 12yrs. Let me know what this borderline info means and how accurate a western blot is. Thanks for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
    deejavu
    Inactive

deejavu HB User
    Re: test came back...

Hi Purplepiegirl,

What I can tell you is that no lyme test is 100% accurate, the ELISA test is the least accurate of them all.

The Western Blot is more accurate depending if your body is making antibodies, especially when done by IgeneX. The reason for that is because other labs use rabbit antigens from only 2 strains of Lyme, where IgeneX uses samples from human lyme patients from all over the U.S. and Europe.

A reputable LLMD (Lyme Literate Medical Doctor) does not diagnose a person based on test results alone. A good doctor will look at the whole picture and a person's symptoms to diagnose a person. Another thing to consider are coinfections as most people who have lyme usually have one or more coinfections such as Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HGE & HME), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Some coinfections should be treated before the Lyme itself.

Are you seeing a LLMD? Has anyone recommended one to you?

I hope you get on a treatment plan soon as 12 years is a long time to have Lyme.

We look forward to hearing from you,
    Denise

Old 05-12-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi purplepiegirl. I like your name. It almost sounds the title of a Beatles song.

I had some blood sent to LabCorp and it came back negative, which drove me nuts because I knew my symptoms fit like a glove.

Once I saw an LLMD (Lyme Literate Medical Doctor) I had my blood tested for Lyme disease at a lab called Igenex in Palo Alto California. Its an expensive test because they use more antigens from the different strains of the Lyme causing bacteria. My blood came back positive.

The Western Blot can be accurate if it is done at Igenex.

I know you've posted before so sorry if I can't remember but are you seeing an LLMD? How are you feeling? Are you taking any medicine? What are your symptoms?

Old 05-12-2006, 09:30 PM   #4
    Pearlscale
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pearlscale HB User

Purplepiegirl
    I like your name too. Remember that no test is 100% accurate. Lyme is a clincal diagnose.

I was tested at igenex and all my results were indeterminate. But I did test positive for Babasia, Bartonella, & Mycoplasma. (19 yrs ago I tested positive for lyme and was not treated long enough.

I hope that you see a LLMD soon. (If you are not already seeing one, I'm like Mickie, brain fog, can't remember if you are or not) He is the best one to make the final diagnose after all the history, blood workup, other tests are done.

Prayers....Marsha

Old 05-13-2006, 06:57 AM   #5
    purplepiegirl
    (female)

purplepiegirl HB User

Hi everyone, Im a big fan of strawberry shortcake her nemisis is purplepie guy. lol
    Anyway, yes I have posted before and no I havnt found a llmd. I decided to get some insurance and then I took the test that my Dr. gave me. It said lyme and ANA on paperwork with antigen written in big letters across the top. I cant afford Igenex so I just decided to see what the results from labcorp would be. I am actually having a good spell. Long time since I have had one of those. What does a borderline test mean and when you say false results do you mean false positives also? I dont know were she sent the blood too. I have heard that labcorp is not very good so do you think since it was borderline it must mean I have a good amount of lyme in me to be detected?

Old 05-13-2006, 07:28 AM   #6
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi purplepiegirl.

From what I understand the ELISA or titer is the least reliable test for Lyme and the one most doctors run first. It shows Lyme in only a small percentage of cases. Many people who have Lyme disease test negative because the tests are unreliable. As was stated, it is important to be tested by a Lyme reputable lab which uses more sensitive testing and lists more bands on the Western Blot. You also need to be tested for all the co-infections. Often, people who have Lyme have co-infections. Many Lyme doctors believe the co-infections need to be treated first for Lyme treatment to be effective.

If you post where you are located, we can tell you of the closest Lyme doctors to you that we know of.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:29 AM   #7
    purplepiegirl
    (female)

purplepiegirl HB User

Hey ticker, just wondering if you think that the titer test is least reliable and only shows lyme in a few people, I got a borderline result. Do you think it is likely I have lyme?

Old 05-15-2006, 12:30 PM   #8
    brid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brid HB User

hi purple girl... that is a very hard question.. labs have different meassures to the their tests..i kmow labcorp is not very good testing lyme..i dont think being in the borderline really means something..i really sugget you to get tested by igenex, you dont have to do the whole thing.. just do the igm, igg for lyme, thats is $195, and you will have a more accurate result.. even if you do just one, the igm, which is $95 will be better that the doubt you have with labcorp
    good luck!
    hugs

Old 05-15-2006, 01:45 PM   #9
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi purplepiegirl. In my opinion if your test is borderline you likely have Lyme. I think there are many false negatives, not false positives with the ELISA. I hope you can see a Lyme doctor soon.

Closed Thread