It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• High White Cell Count with Chronic Lymes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
    jillybean81
    (female)

jillybean81 HB User
    Exclamation High White Cell Count with Chronic Lymes

Hi Everyone,
    Is there any one who has had an irregular high white cell count after almost three months of treatment?! As I stated in my last post, I am on the last legs of my 3 mons of Doxy and Amoxy and my white count is still high. I am going to see a Hematologist tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what to expect??!! Are they going to just look at my last labs and say the old "let's keep an eye on it" or are they goign to want to give me the intravenous antibiotics or do a bone marrow test?! I just have no clue as to what I am to expect walking in there tomorrow. Are there even any things I should ask of THEM?! PLEASE if any one has any light to shed I would really really appreciate it. My anxiety levels are through the roof anyway and this just does nothing to help it! THANKS!

Last edited by jillybean81; 05-30-2006 at 11:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
    Re: High White Cell Count with Chronic Lymes

Hi jillybean81.

I checked my records and I found that my White Blood Cell Count was high until I was on treatment for 6 months.

You sound afraid but try not to worry about the doctor appt. tomorrow. I'm sure it won't be that bad.

I'll say a little prayer for courage for you.

Let us know what happens at the doctors.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
    jillybean81
    (female)

jillybean81 HB User

Was it really?! Do you mind me asking how high it was?!! Were you taking Doxy and Amoxy or something else?! I guess my regular doctors didn't take that into consideration. I am in the process of finding a LLMD, and getting my records sent. I am just scared at the prospect of a hematologist and just haven't been feeling that great...I am most worried I will see the hematologist and they will tell me that maybe it isn't Lymes and that it is something else...it has happened before, just with being misdiagnosed I mean...I am also concerned, with doing my own research, that they may want to try to do the whole intravenous antibiotics, my doctor did mention that to me before, and I read somewhere that if your whote count stays high, that whatever you are doing to combat the infection is not enough and could possibly send your bone marrow into over load leading to other conditions...is that common? People with Lymes ending up with other conditions, due to mistreating it originally?! To say the least my anxiety is through the roof...
    Thanks for helping me!

Last edited by jillybean81; 05-30-2006 at 01:20 PM.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:29 PM   #4
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

jillybean81,

3 months is not a long time when you're dealing with Lyme. The Borrelia bacterium has a very long life span compared to other germs so it's not unheard of to be treated for a long time.

I think the strep bacteria reproduces every 6 hours so you can kill all of them with 10 days of antibiotics. The Lyme bacteria take a few days to reproduce so it takes a lot longer to kill all of them.

Again, 3 months is not long. Try not not to worry or let your imagination run away.

Yes, a high white count can be cause for concern, but try to think of it this way -- you're body is fighting an infection. Your white blood cells are coursing through your blood vessels destroying bacteria. That is awesome.

Make sure you try to keep your immune system as healthy as possible.

Lyme is curable. You will feel better someday. I promise.

No one can put you on IV unless you agree. No one can take bone marrow from you unless you agree.

Deep breath. Its going to be OK.

I forgot if you've told this before, but ...
    - were you tested for Lyme?
    - what are your symptoms?
    - when did you start getting sick?
    - what LLMD are you seeing or haven't you found one yet?
    - have you been tested for co-infections?

Hang in there.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:09 AM   #5
    jillybean81
    (female)

jillybean81 HB User

6Blues,
    You are absolutely right. I think I am just a little overly concerned by how drastically doctors not doing their jobs/not being informed/taking shots in the dark has effected my life. It is so hard to miss so much work being sick and having doctors appts, it is just so against my nature, and then to have to tell people at work that they "think" its Lymes and that's how it is being treated...I mean I have a lot of people even my boyfriend...say to me "well, the Lymes test never even came back positive" and I honestly want to smack them and say "Have you not been listening to anything I have said?!".

Well, yes I was clinically diagnosed with Lymes...I had extremely swollen glands in my neck, was getting chronic strep throat for a year and a half, that would only improve while on antibiotics, then come right back...swollen extremely painful knees, random fevers, increased anxiety...oh, and a bulls eye on my stomach about 2 years ago that a clinic doc said was Ring Worm. I was running a 102 fever by the time I showed it to him...

I am looking into a LLmd but I am awaiting my drs office for a referral...

Closed Thread