It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Do I have Lyme's?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
    Red Palms
    (male)

Red Palms HB User
    Do I have Lyme's?

This whole episode happened when I did a 10 day colon cleanse about 3 months ago. During that time I lost about 10 pounds and I started to get dizzy as well. A few days later I picked a deer tick off of my elbow. I never saw the rash that is common. So I've never figured out if it was the colon cleanse or possibly Lyme's disease that has been causing all of my symtoms. I was tested for Lyme's about 3 months ago but it came back negative.

The doctors don't have a clue either. I was given doxycycline(100 mg) for 10 days but I was only able to stay on it for 1 1/2 days because of an extemely fast racing heart, fingers going numb after waking up in the middle of the night that put me in the ER.

I'm thinking about going through Igenex to get tested again but is that reliable? Also, if I am tested positive for Lyme's disease 3 or 4 months after the tick bite can I still be cured or is this just one long recurring nightmare? Thank you for any help.

Here is a list of my most of my symtoms:

Brain Fog
    Joints creaking and popping all the time(No pain though)
    Increased floaters
    Muscle pain in wrists/forearms
    headaches
    Bizarre dreams
    vertigo
    Poor short term memory
    fatigue
    hives?(little white spots on arms especially outside walking)
    Numbness/Tingling in hands(especially at night)
    cold hands and feet
    muscle twitches(mostly in legs)
    Irritability
    apathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Re: Do I have Lyme's?

Hi Red Palms, welcome to the board!

I am sorry you have been so sick. How did you remove the tick you found? Did you save it? Although a bulls-eye rash is a definite sign of Lyme disease, only about 50% of people who have Lyme ever get a rash. Your symptoms can be attributed to Lyme. Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
    Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
    Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
    Unexplained hair loss
    Swollen glands
    Sore throat
    Testicular pain/pelvic pain
    Unexplained menstrual irregularity
    Unexplained milk production: breast pain
    Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
    Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
    Upset stomach
    Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
    Chest pain or rib soreness
    Shortness of breath, cough
    Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
    Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
    Joint pain or swelling
    Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
    Muscle pain or cramps
    Twitching of the face or other muscles
    Headache
    Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
    Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
    Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
    Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
    Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
    lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
    Lightheadedness, wooziness
    Tremor
    Confusion, difficulty in thinking
    Difficulty with concentration, reading
    Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
    Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
    Difficulty with speech or writing
    Mood swings, irritability, depression
    Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
    Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

100 mg of Doxy daily is not strong enough for Lyme and ten days of treatment is not long enough. Are you aware of the Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction (herx)? Often, when people who have Lyme take antibiotics, their symptoms become worse or they get new ones. When the antibiotics kill the bacteria, toxins are released making them feel sicker. It can be very scary when it happens, but it is a good sign the antibiotics are working. Although it can vary individually, many people experience this at the beginning of treatment and every three to four weeks. This may have been why you felt worse on the Doxy.

It is very important to see knowledgeable doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. No Lyme test is completely reliable and results can vary by lab. Besides Lyme, ticks can transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected, and it may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA. I think it is a good idea for you to get tested here.

To me it sounds like you may also have Babesiosis. Do you ever get night sweats, heart palpitations, or shortness of breath?

Your infection is still relatively early. The sooner you get the proper treatment, the better. I do not know of any Lyme doctors in MN. The closest one to you that I know of is in MO. If you would like his name, let me know.

Hang in there okay? Good help is available and you are not alone.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:03 PM   #3
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi Red.

Sorry you are sick but glad you found this site.

I also had strange symptoms and went to many doctors. I was tested for Lyme at a local NJ lab but it came back negative.

9 months later I saw a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor (LLMD) and my blood was sent to Igenex for a Western Blot test. I came back positive and I even meet the CDC requirements.

100mg of Doxy is way too low. I was on 600mg per day for 3 months straight before I felt better. I've been on it for 9 months now and I continue to slowly improve.

Its important to check for those co-infections. Ticks are nasty little beasts!

Peace and health to you.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
    Red Palms
    (male)

Red Palms HB User

I couldn't even handle 100 mg of doxycycline, it put me in the ER. I can't even fathom what 600 mg would be like, maybe death? lol

I hope there are other routes to take than doxycycline if Lyme's is actually what I have. Did you have wicked symptoms when you were on doxycycline? Rapid heartbeat(150/minute), numb, major pain in fingers, etc...?

Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Red Palms. It really sounds like you may have been herxing. Herxing causes symptoms to intensify and it can be very intense. It is acutally a good sign that the antibiotics are working.

It could be that Doxy is the right med for your case if it is killing the bacteria. Unfortunately, it is part of treatment to go through this.

Old 06-17-2006, 09:44 PM   #6
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

Hi Red.

I'm glad you have a sense of humor! My recovery from Lyme feels like death only sometimes! LOL ~~ I don't want to scare you.

A Herx reaction is a real and frightening experience if you are unaware of it. Some antibiotics kill bacteria during cell reproduction, where the cell membranes tear open. When this occurs, toxins (poisons) spill into the surrounding tissues. This can cause you to feel worse than before you took any medicine.

Herx's are no fun but thats the way it works.

Recently started a new antibiotic called Levaquin and my muscles are so very sore! I feel as if I went horseback riding, surfing and then lifted weights for 4 hours!

In the year and a half that I've been battling Lyme, I've never had this symptom. Thats why I believe this sudden soreness is caused by the bacteria dying. I hurt, but I try to think of it as a good thing. The pain means that the stupid bugs are dying!

If you reacted so strongly to the 100mg of Doxy, perhaps it was killing Lyme bacteria (Borrelia burgdorfieri.). Thats a good thing but it is very hard to go through.

There are a few different 'classes' of antibiotics that Lyme patients can try. These classes kill the bacteria in different ways. For example, some are called bacteriostatic and others are known as bacteriocidal. I have tried 6 different antibiotics so far.

This is a tough disease to understand and treat. Its not as straight forward as, say, Strep throat. Treatment can be complicated because there are many different strains of the Borrelia germ. Also, Borrelia has a longer life span than other bacteria, so it's common to be on antibiotics for a long time when treating Lyme.

There is good news and reason for hope. Lyme is curable. You will feel better someday.

I hope you get tested soon and can start an effective treatment protocol.

The folks here are terrific. Ticker is awesome. Feel free to ask all the questions you want.

Hang in there! We understand what it's like to suffer from Lyme.

Last edited by 6Blues; 06-17-2006 at 09:50 PM.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:22 PM   #7
    brid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brid HB User

hi red palms! welcome here! sorry you feel sick...doxy is just one abx for lyme, some peolple that cant tolerate, take other ones, like amoxicilin, the mother of a peson in this site who had lyme, took it dor a few months and feels great now, i take doxy, 200 a day for almost 4 months now and i have improve.. the improvment is slowly , but i feel much better than before..i had lost or rapid heartbeats and was soo scare.. but i feel it has decrease now.. the more i improve , the less concern i am about symptoms...when i was taking 300 doxy a day, i felt very nauseaos, so the doctor said to take 200 and maybe sometimes i have some stomach ache but is tolerating.. maybe your hearbeats wasnt from the abx.. i mean, sometimes when you take abx, it can cause you anxiety.. maybe you may want to try it one more time and mnaybe have 0.25 xanax.. i am telling you because doxy is like the number one to treat lyme... but i hear a lot of peolple taking amoxicilin as a second opcion, for me, amocicilyn is stronger for my stomach..thanks god i never had a herx reaccion...as everybody says here, at the beggining of tr4eatment you migh feel worst, but it is normal...i notice improvments after 2 months... i couldnt have a normal live, now, at elast i go to work, i am not as tired as before, more energy, but still have a stairs to climb....good luck! and keep us posted...
    hugs!

Old 06-18-2006, 06:08 AM   #8
    Smyle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smyle HB User

Hi Red Palms:

I would recommend getting tested by Igenex. It takes a few weeks to get the results back. Remember that no blood tests are definitive.

Your symptoms sound like lyme, but more telling is that your reaction to doxy sounds like a herx.

I hope you get some answers soon and are feeling better soon...I am curious- where are you in MN? A deer tick in March- yikes, I know they can be out when it gets above 40 or so, guess you can never be too careful...

Last edited by Smyle; 06-18-2006 at 08:13 AM.

Old 06-19-2006, 12:01 PM   #9
    Red Palms
    (male)

Red Palms HB User

Thanks for all of the replies. I live in St. Paul area of Minnesota and we had some really nice weather in late March, into the 60's I believe which is around the time I got the tick.

I also had a CSDA recently which said that I could have some bacteria in my stomach because of elevated levels of Urobilinogen(4+). I also have IBS so I'm not sure if it's IBS or Lyme's related because I started getting all of these new symptoms right around the time I found the deer tick.

One thing I've learned from IBS bacteria is that if you have IBS bacteria, they feed on sugar which I'm guessing the Lyme's Bacteria does as well? Since cutting out sugar from my diet and I mean nearly all sugar(fruit included & even some sugary vegtables) my symptoms have slowly(and I mean slowly) improved.

I think I'll be calling IGenex this week. I see they have a number of different tests for Lyme's. Is there one that is considered the best to know if you have it or not? Again, thanks for all of the help and it's good to see all of the helpful people on this board.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #10
    brid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

brid HB User

hi red red palms! i would recomemd you to do the initial pannel, either the 5000 or 5050 are about the same, is just the method .. but is the same...i did the 5050. good luck!
    hugs

Closed Thread