It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Throat/mouth issues...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
    loniousmonk
    (male)

loniousmonk HB User
    Throat/mouth issues...

Hi there,

Has anyone else had either of these problems?

1. "Excess saliva" - From time to time (every couple months?) I will have a problem where I salivate far too much (enough to make me nauseated if I don't spit constantly). It will last several days usually, but almost exclusively is a problem in the evening--especially if I stay up late. I remember that 12 hr. Sudafed (pseudophedrine) temporarily helped, but the Wal-phed (phenylephrine) that I have right now doesn't seem to do much.

2. "Dry throat" - When I'm not having problem #1 which is most of the time, I constantly am sipping water because my throat feels dry. This symptom started very quickly after starting a course of Doxycycline, Flagyl, and Ceftin (at which point I had previously taken Doxycycline only, i.e. it was my first time on Flagyl or Ceftin). I've tried "Mouthkote" and "Oasis" for this, but they only help for a very short time or not at all. I have tried "Biotene," and don't remember it working great... should I try it again for a longer period of time? Like does it take several days to really start working?

Thanks a bunch!

Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2006, 06:21 AM   #2
    J0J0
    Inactive

J0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB User
    Re: Throat/mouth issues...

HI Chris...WELCOME sorry you are having these problems...I can't remember going through that...I know alot of med's do cause dry mouth...might try something like lemon water...or just put a little bit of lemon in your mouth...I'm sure others will come on and give you some more advice....

How long have you had lyme? glad to see you are on a good treatment plan!

Hope you feel better soon!!!

Old 10-18-2006, 07:40 AM   #3
    loniousmonk
    (male)

loniousmonk HB User
    Smile Re: Throat/mouth issues...

Hi!

I'm actually not sure how long I've had Lyme; the onset of symptoms was so slow. Many years, probably, since I can remember having joint pain in middle-school (grades 7-8), and I'm now in my 4th yr. of college.

Thanks for the welcome... I think it's great to have such strong communities & lots of discussion. I hope I can contribute some advice to others.

I forgot to mention: I'm actually not taking those antibiotics anymore. I finished a 1 yr. course probably 2 yrs. ago. I haven't taken any antibiotics since then, but the dry throat etc. has stayed with me. So perhaps the antibiotics themselves caused some permanent reaction, or possibly the antibiotics incited new behavior in the Lyme infection which then in turn introduced a new (and lasting) symptom... ?

Thanks again!

Old 10-18-2006, 05:58 PM   #4
    Pearlscale
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pearlscale HB User

Hi Chris
    Wanted to say welcome.

I have had problems with dry mouth. Not sure if it was lyme or babesia since I had both. With a year of treatment my dry mouth has gotten some better. My singing voice was gone for about 9 months. But it has come back. So I am getting this under control. You may be right about the long term damage or change this has done to our body.

You mentioned you are no longer in treatment. Do you feel you are well. I've had this for 19+ yrs but was treated insufficiently in the beginning and have been in intense treatment for the last year. I am better but I won't say I am well. We can all help each other with our own experiences, so glad you have joined.

Congrats on college. I'm sure with lyme this has been a difficult road at times. Don't know what your major is, but we could use alot more LLMD's.
    Prayers....Marsha

Last edited by Pearlscale; 10-18-2006 at 06:01 PM.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
    eclipse27
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

eclipse27 HB User

I know i def. had those symptoms. Dry throat mainly. That was the begining symptoms of lyme i had. Next came flu feelings, heavy fatigue, dizzyness, head pressure, eye pressure.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
    Roman77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Roman77 HB User

[QUOTE=loniousmonk]Hi there,

Has anyone else had either of these problems?

1. "Excess saliva"
    2. "Dry throat" [QUOTE]

Hi Chris..welcome to the board. i can say that yes i definitely strggle with both of these. at night the salviva issue is horrible. it has gotten better with treatments,, but it's still not back to the norm. and dry throat is killer, i seem to be always wanting water or sipping on someting. i wish i had some idea of how to help it but i haven't found anything that takes care of it, so i'm hoping that when i finish treatmtne i will be back to normal.

i have never heard of biotene, what is it??

also if you find out any info abouty that being permenant please let us know, i'm sure alot of us will want to knw about it and bring it up to uro llmd's.

take care.
    shanna
    "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer." - Romans 12:12

Old 10-19-2006, 07:05 AM   #7
    loniousmonk
    (male)

loniousmonk HB User

Thanks so much for the generous replies!

Shanna: it sounds like you are having the exact same problems... does the excess saliva come and go for you? or is it every night? for me it happens for several nights in a row every couple months maybe; usually when I'm feeling particularly under-the-weather. Also, like I said the dry-throat symptom appeared very quickly after I simultaneously started taking Doxy, Flagyl, & Ceftin. So I always thought it might have been a drug reaction... but now I'm thinking the antibiotics simply triggered though it's actually a symptom of the Lyme infection. How did these symptoms begin for you? Have you taken Doxycycline, Flagyl (Metronidazole), & Ceftin (Cefuroxime)? Oh, and by the way: I see you're in Madison... do you have a doctor in the area?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pearlscale
    You mentioned you are no longer in treatment. Do you feel you are well.
    It's strange... the only symptom that significantly changed when I started those 3 antibiotics was my muscle twitching almost completely went away. Most other symptoms have stayed about the same. I think I am an unusual case because I think I have been infected for years, but I happened to be taking Doxycycline on and off for various other problems before finally discovering the Lyme & treating that. Anyway, overall I feel okay... for the time being I can lead a fairly normal life.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pearlscale
    Don't know what your major is, but we could use alot more LLMD's.
    Unfortunately, I'm a computer-science major. Trust me, I have considered changing to pre-med for just that reason...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Romans12:12
    i have never heard of biotene, what is it??
    It's a mouthwash meant to help alleviate dry-mouth. I guess it helps maintain "good" bacteria in your mouth? So who knows if that would help for us. Anyway I've seen it at Walgreens I am going to try Biotene again and I will let you guys know how that works. Also, I've been using "Oasis" mouth-spray sometimes. This product is also at Walgreens... it's kind of expensive and the results aren't great. But it definitely comes in handy if you are going somewhere that you don't want to carry water with you & there's no public water available; it's just a tiny spray bottle you could keep in your pocket, and each spray will give some sustained relief (better than a sip of water would).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Romans12:12
    also if you find out any info abouty that being permenant please let us know, i'm sure alot of us will want to knw about it and bring it up to uro llmd's.
    I definitely will let everyone know... who knows if I will ever find out, though!

Thanks again & take care, everyone.

Chris

Last edited by moderator2; 10-19-2006 at 08:48 PM. Reason: do not post commercial websites - please read and follow the posting rules

Closed Thread