It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Saint johns wort

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-20-2006, 04:09 PM   #1
    eclipse27
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

eclipse27 HB User
    Saint johns wort

I was told i should try it. How often a day?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2006, 05:57 PM   #2
    J0J0
    Inactive

J0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB User
    Re: Saint johns wort

Hi Michael.

If you go to the health food store someone can help you there, they'll beable to show you different labels.

My friend uses it in bulk and takes about a 1/4 teaspoon in her mouth a day...think everyone varies for their own needs....I tried it a long time ago didn't do anything for me...but everyone is different...my friend uses it to help keep her panic attacks calmed down....

This will not help kill any bacterias....

You finding a way to get to Mobile? I hope so...I drive 3 hours one way to see a doctor. Yes it makes for a long day...but you need to find some help...

Good Luck!!

Old 11-20-2006, 08:45 PM   #3
    eclipse27
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

eclipse27 HB User

No ride....all i can do is save up money for the trip. Gonna kill me. Esp. Since i have a new powerstroked jeep lol. And yea. sigh. alwell. Just sick of feeling this way.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
    TINUVIEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

St. J's wort is an herbal anti-depressant. I found it to be fairly effective but had to take it for a long time (over a month) before it kicked in. Be cautious of sun exposure as it can cause photosensitivity.

I'm not sure how it will work though, if the depression is Lyme related. St. J's wort works to help balance brain chemistry, but if the depression is the result of a neuro infection I don't know if it will work or not. All you can do is try it.

Here's a couple more things to try. Many people with Lyme are co-infected with another disease like Babesiosis, erlichisosis, etc. Here are a couple of herbs that help with these infections. You may or may not have the infections, but it can't hurt anything to try taking the herbs. The worst that would happen is that they won't do anything. And if by any chance co-infections are part of the cause of your symptoms, it may give you some relief.

Artemisinin is an herb used to treat Babesiosis which can cause headaches and heart palpitations, to name just a few symptoms. The brand my LLMD recommends is called Allergy Research Group and I take 1 100 mg capsule 3 times a day.

The other herb is called Cumanda and my doc recommended a tincture by NutraMedix. You add about 4-6 drops into a cup. add 4 oz. water, wait 60 seconds, then drink it. You can do this twice a day.

Both of these produced a profound "herx" reaction and with the Artemisinin I literally thought I was dying. But it also made a huge difference in turning the disease around. btw, both of these are available on-line.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:03 AM   #5
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User

Hi eclipse, I took st. john's wort for years to keep depression away and it worked. I didn't know the depression was from lyme, but I knew that I had depression and it did help.

St. john's wort is useful for other things too, so the labels say different doses because of this and it can be confusing. Lab studies have shown that 900mg a day is the dose that is effective on depression. I recall buying 300mg tablets and taking three at once in the morning each day. It took about a month to start working and when I went off it, it stayed in my body for about three weeks also, so I remember getting really weepy when it started to wear off.

It definitely works, whether you have lyme related depression or other kinds of depression. St. john's wort is a distant relative of the ragweed family. If you show signs of allergy such as constant sore throat when taking it, you should consider that it is considered a ragweed.

SamE works too, but caused me a lot of painful digestive problems.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
    eclipse27
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

eclipse27 HB User

Is it ok to take with doxy? im finishing up about 3-4 days.?

Old 11-21-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
    sleeperwoken
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sleeperwoken HB User

Eclipse, I just checked drug interactions for you on doxy with st. john's wort. They do not interact with each other, but both are posted as interacting negatively with alcohol. Best not to drink alcohol, I know you don't drink anyway, right?

Old 11-21-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
    eclipse27
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

eclipse27 HB User

Nope i dont drink or do drugs.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
    battling on
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

battling on HB User

Hi eclipse
    Ive been on doxy and St Johns wort for 6 months.
    My phycological effect sof teh lyme were horrific and have had tried to find some that have suffered the same.
    I was deeply suicidal when my lymeover took my body completely, this had grown form 31 years of suicdal thinking. So i knew that something new was in teh mix, something had happened to my body.
    Doctors wanted me all types of meds, this was before lyme was tried.
    Nothing worked infact all teh drugs they gavce me made me worse and violent and almost attacked my mother of 73.

As soon as i started the doxy the suicide thinking stopped, and even if i tried to think along those lines it was truly as if a train had thought has run out of rails, it is the most amazing thing ive experienced, there was a total wall that was in the way stopping teh thoughts from gaining any depth in mental vision.

Any way, this was great but i discovered that by taking the doxy and having this wall it most of some how also closed a provided escape route for my anxiety and so my brain became like a boiling pot and the anxiety was overwhelming, i asked for hel pwith this but no one had any answers teh Pdoc would give me nothing as they wanted to let teh Lyme treatment kick in and my LLMD well i dint think he had ever had a case like it.

So a after 3 days in which time i had become a walking ball of pure anxiety and stress, i desperately grabbed St johns wort from a shelf.

I tried it for a while and got relief in days, how ever it wore of and i had to find a more effective capsule of different strengths.

I am now on a vegi capsule of 300mg @ standardised extract 0.30% hypericin

It doesn't make me perfect, I have slight pangs of anxiety and am quiet flat mood wise i dont have a zest for life but i dont want not to be here either, being a woman i have times that It doesnt work so well and i have learnt to understand them

But when i look at where i have come from the results are amazing and when there is no other route i would say to anyone try St johns Wort.

BUT DO NOT MIX any mind drugs with it that to made me visiouse.

I hope you find some respite, the mentall illness side of this illness is a world away from what i could ever of imagined.

Hugs
    Jules xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by battling on; 11-22-2006 at 10:50 AM.

Closed Thread