It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• New symptoms since starting antibiotics

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
    ktp812
    Inactive
    (female)

ktp812 HB User
    New symptoms since starting antibiotics

I have been on the antibiotics for about 9 weeks now. I am taking Ketek, Amox and Probenecid. I just had the results of the CD-57 which was 21. I am now starting to have symptoms that I never had before even in the beginning of this (2 years). Joint pain in my knee, terrible headaches, fatigue even worse than before with no energy. The finger joint pain has returned somewhat also. Anxiety when I get into bed to sleep. Bad muscle pain in my arms like someone was punching me..
    I use to run even before I was diagnosed but now I can't even walk. It is very upsetting that I have a total lack of energy now. I think I actually felt better before the antibiotics. Maybe because the bacteria was happy. I don't know. I guess I want some reassurance that I won't feel this bad during the whole course of meds how ever long that might be. Any input?

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
    Aquaticgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Aquaticgirl HB User
    Re: New symptoms since starting antibiotics

Those symptoms are probably not related to the medecine. You probably have Chronic Lyme Disease. Chronic Lyme happens if you don't get properly treated early on. Then you will get horrible symptoms, like the ones you're experiancing. It is important that you see a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor to get treatment that will work for you and help to get your life back to normal.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
    ktp812
    Inactive
    (female)

ktp812 HB User

I was diagnosed with chronic lyme disease in November and put on antibiotics for it. I have been taking them for 10 weeks and also have had the herx reaction within days of starting them. My doctor is a LLMD and it took me 2 months to get in to see him. I was just wondering if anyone else had their symptoms worsen after starting treatment. I actually have talked with my doctor since my post and he said it was expected to feel worse but that the symptoms will improve in time. Thanks

Old 01-19-2007, 08:08 AM   #4
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi ktp812. It is normal to feel worse before feeling better when getting treated for Lyme disease, and it can take time.

Often, when people who have Lyme take antibiotics, their symptoms become worse or they get new ones. When the antibiotics kill the bacteria, toxins are released making them feel sicker. It can be very scary when it happens, but it is a good sign the antibiotics are working. Although it can vary individually, many people experience this at the beginning of treatment and every three to four weeks. This is the Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction (herx). Over time, it should get less severe.

It is a good idea to document your symptoms daily. One way to do this is to list the three main symptoms you have each day and a numerical rating of their severity, from 1-10. Over time when you review this, you can see when your herxes occur and how you are responding to the meds.

Do everything you can to support your immune system: eat healthy, drink a lot of water, get enough rest, take supplements.

Hang in there okay?

Old 01-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
    ktp812
    Inactive
    (female)

ktp812 HB User

Thanks Ticker
    On the days I am feeling really bad, I guess I just need some reassurance that it WILL get better. It has been sooo long since I have felt good. I am taking lots of supplements and drinking tons of water. I always drank lots of water anyway so that is no problem. I am having some problems eating though. For the past 3 months I am just never hungry and have to force myself to eat. I have no idea where my appetite went. I must say though since I got sick two years ago my eating habits have become much better.

Kim

Old 01-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Kim. It will get better. I know it is frustrating because with most infections once treatment is started you start to feel better. With Lyme disease, you can feel worse. It can take time, but I think knowing this helps.

Over time the herxes should get less severe and the good days should outnumber the bad ones.

Make sure you space out the supplements and acidophilus at least two hours apart from the antibiotics so everything is properly absorbed.

You may want to consider seeing a nutritionist. Even if you only go one time, you could get a plan curtailed to your needs.

Closed Thread