It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Complications

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
    Pearlscale
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pearlscale HB User
    Complications

Summary: Sat night, chills sweats face numbness, shooting neck pain, nausea, horrible reflux and pain (every 2 hrs taking carafate to numb digestive tract) splitting headache. Then Sun morning 1 1/4 hrs of hard tremors.
    Mon still having relux chest pain, very light tremors. Call to my LLMD told me to go to PCP. By the time I got in to see her, hard tremors, splitting headache she sent me to ER at larger hospital next county over. Thought possible stroke. Cat scan ok. Potassium very low, liver slightly elavated. Had potass drip and oral, morphine, ativan and told it was all because of my potassium. See PCP in 2 days.
    Tues called PCP and told her. She wanted to see me. Potassium ok Wanted me to see neurologist. Set appt for Mon for neuro. Want me to see digestive health spec next week then called back. My liver had jumped from 60's last night to 162 this am. 12 hrs. Shes very concerned. Wants adbom ultrasound and moved digestive spec up to Thur.

Not sure what is going on. Thought a brain thing now looks like a liver thing.
    Need prayers....Marsha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
    J0J0
    Inactive

J0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB User
    Re: Complications

Marsha did this just all come on all of a sudden? when do you go see your LLMD again? did they tell you to stop the antibiotics for now?

I wish I was there to help you....

Keep in touch please...been wondering lately about you...

Sending you BIG HUGS AND HUGE PRAYER'S!!!!

Old 02-27-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
    Pearlscale
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pearlscale HB User

I finished 3 wk pulse past Fri. Mepron, ketek, & Doxy. Thur and Fri Flagl. I see LLMD 2 wk. LLMD nurse told me to see PCP and check into stroke. Last night at ER they did liver panel. Wasn't concerned. (about anything but low potassium) and then told me if I needed to see Neuro I could discuss it with my PCP. But that is why she sent me to ER. We weren't happy with how ER went and my Daughter called PCP and she saw me first thing this am. (she is another jewell I have found). She noticed when she ordered my info faxed to her my liver functions were slightly elevated. 0-40 normal. I think she said they were around 60something last night. Since my potassium was low, she ordered rush on it and liver panel. Patassium better and liver almost tripled in 12 hrs. (my daughter RN checked into flagl and it is out of the system in 12 hrs and it lowers the liver function.) They quiickly got me appt to see gastro spec for Thurs. I have had major reflux and pain that has gotten worse in the last week. But has been bad for years. PCP afraid I might had adominal mass or something like that. She wants me to have intestinal sonogram. She got me appt with Neuro for Mom. LLMD and PCP are working together. PCP is having to write meds. But for now, meds are on hold. Got to get my system straightened out.

Tremors have stopped and headache is better but not gone. I have had tremors like that once before. By the time my sister got me to PCP (different one) they had almost stopped. He only saw a few minutes. And he was not worried at all. But these are worse and have come on less than 24 hrs apart.

Stomach still not like it should be. I think it is possible I have systemic candida and wonder???? if it can affect the liver functions??? affect the gut??? cause all the other problems???

Haven't posted much cause not up to it. Starting to break a sweat so time to quit.

Thanks for prayers.

Last edited by Pearlscale; 02-27-2007 at 07:21 PM.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:37 PM   #4
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

oh Marsha! My prayers are with you.

It seems like just a few posts ago, you were fishing off a pier in the outer banks.

Hang in there kiddo. I'm here with you. I can imagine how scary it must be; going from your LLMD to PCP to Neurologist to Gastro. A prayer for you and your family.

Sorry to hear your liver may be acting up. If you have abdominal sono - let us know what happens.

Been thinking about you lately; wondering how you been. Stay strong babe. Post when you can - don't push it.

Peace and health and prayers to you and your family,
    Mickie

Old 02-28-2007, 03:23 AM   #5
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pearlscale View Post
    Summary: Sat night, chills sweats face numbness, shooting neck pain, nausea, horrible reflux and pain (every 2 hrs taking carafate to numb digestive tract) splitting headache. Then Sun morning 1 1/4 hrs of hard tremors.
    Mon still having relux chest pain, very light tremors. Call to my LLMD told me to go to PCP. By the time I got in to see her, hard tremors, splitting headache she sent me to ER at larger hospital next county over. Thought possible stroke. Cat scan ok. Potassium very low, liver slightly elavated. Had potass drip and oral, morphine, ativan and told it was all because of my potassium. See PCP in 2 days.
    Tues called PCP and told her. She wanted to see me. Potassium ok Wanted me to see neurologist. Set appt for Mon for neuro. Want me to see digestive health spec next week then called back. My liver had jumped from 60's last night to 162 this am. 12 hrs. Shes very concerned. Wants adbom ultrasound and moved digestive spec up to Thur.

Not sure what is going on. Thought a brain thing now looks like a liver thing.
    Need prayers....Marsha

Marsha,

OMG! I am going through the same exact thing as you hun. I have been having problems with my liver enzymes for over a year now. I also have those tremors too!!! Are your tremors uncontrollable? I sometimes feels like I am going to pass out when I have them.

What medications are you on? I was told that sometimes medications can cause you liver enzymes to go up. Google your meds and put in "high liver enzymes" in with it. That's how I found out that Axid, which is for ulcers and reflux, can cause elevated liver enzymes. I was also put on carafate too. It helped me a little but I still couldn't eat much when I was on it. They finally put me on Axid, which is an older drug and I tolerate that better. I am very sensitive to Prilosec, prevacid, etc. You can get Axid now over the counter.

Also, have you ever had your thyroid checked? That can sometimes cause tremors.

I'm sorry for all of these questions hun. It just freaks me out to find someone like me.

I forgot to ask.........Do you have Lyme?

Thanks for your patience and I hope I could help a little. I hope you find an answer soon.

Chantel

Old 02-28-2007, 03:44 AM   #6
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    I finished 3 wk pulse past Fri. Mepron, ketek, & Doxy. Thur and Fri Flagl. I see LLMD 2 wk. LLMD nurse told me to see PCP and check into stroke. Last night at ER they did liver panel. Wasn't concerned. (about anything but low potassium) and then told me if I needed to see Neuro I could discuss it with my PCP. But that is why she sent me to ER. We weren't happy with how ER went and my Daughter called PCP and she saw me first thing this am. (she is another jewell I have found). She noticed when she ordered my info faxed to her my liver functions were slightly elevated. 0-40 normal. I think she said they were around 60something last night. Since my potassium was low, she ordered rush on it and liver panel. Patassium better and liver almost tripled in 12 hrs. (my daughter RN checked into flagl and it is out of the system in 12 hrs and it lowers the liver function.) They quiickly got me appt to see gastro spec for Thurs. I have had major reflux and pain that has gotten worse in the last week. But has been bad for years. PCP afraid I might had adominal mass or something like that. She wants me to have intestinal sonogram. She got me appt with Neuro for Mom. LLMD and PCP are working together. PCP is having to write meds. But for now, meds are on hold. Got to get my system straightened out.

Tremors have stopped and headache is better but not gone. I have had tremors like that once before. By the time my sister got me to PCP (different one) they had almost stopped. He only saw a few minutes. And he was not worried at all. But these are worse and have come on less than 24 hrs apart.

Stomach still not like it should be. I think it is possible I have systemic candida and wonder???? if it can affect the liver functions??? affect the gut??? cause all the other problems???

Haven't posted much cause not up to it. Starting to break a sweat so time to quit.

Thanks for prayers.
    Marsha,

I also suffer with candida. I've tried many different things to get rid of it but once I take antibiotics again, it comes right back. I have it on my skin too. I never knew it could affect your liver. I guess I should have it checked out now. Thanks for that information. I googled it and leanred a lot. It says that people with thyroid disease can suffer from it. Also, people taking acid reducers for a long period of time. I have and do both. It is definitely something to check into.

Chantel

Old 02-28-2007, 06:34 AM   #7
    Pearlscale
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pearlscale HB User

Thanks guys

Lyme & Babesia 20 yrs also chlaymadia pneumonia, hhv6. probably lot of unkowns. LLmd suspects bart

tremors are hard and uncontrolable when present. but usually last less than 2 hrs. they are trying to start up again. i keep telling brain to stop it. since sat night its like they are trying hard to start all the time.

over the counter meds don't help much. when chest gets bad (like last 3 days) carafate every two hrs and I watch the clock.

Throid has been checked in past. can't imigine she didn't do it this week.

have appt 9:15 tomorrow with gastro. maybe answers then

honestly dont think all the orals from last three wks did this. only took them m,w,f. they stopped fri and this all sat night. liver started mon and big jump just 12 hrs later.

chantel, was told 2002 mri showed lesions. blood thick. possibly already had several mini strokes. neuro wasn't sure. thought maybe ms. 2 yrs later looked more like ms. i think its all tied into neuro lyme & babesia. llmd agrees. had alot more test that point to brain involvement. going back mon to same neuro practice (different dr) so he will have all my records. have all my notes and test reports since. he will have to work with my llmd. one tomorrow will also.

at er mon night i had to keep explaining babesia to everyone. no one had heard of it. many said oh, you have lyme. (like oh no, you have lyme) I take my lyme folder with me if i see dr. i'm glad i had it as i couldn't get alot out. during tremors speech is difficult. my body has to put everything into the tremors, speech isnt slurred just slow

later...marsha

Last edited by Pearlscale; 02-28-2007 at 06:59 AM.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:31 AM   #8
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Thanks guys

Lyme & Babesia 20 yrs also chlaymadia pneumonia, hhv6. probably lot of unkowns. LLmd suspects bart

tremors are hard and uncontrolable when present. but usually last less than 2 hrs. they are trying to start up again. i keep telling brain to stop it. since sat night its like they are trying hard to start all the time.

over the counter meds don't help much. when chest gets bad (like last 3 days) carafate every two hrs and I watch the clock.

Throid has been checked in past. can't imigine she didn't do it this week.

have appt 9:15 tomorrow with gastro. maybe answers then

honestly dont think all the orals from last three wks did this. only took them m,w,f. they stopped fri and this all sat night. liver started mon and big jump just 12 hrs later.

chantel, was told 2002 mri showed lesions. blood thick. possibly already had several mini strokes. neuro wasn't sure. thought maybe ms. 2 yrs later looked more like ms. i think its all tied into neuro lyme & babesia. llmd agrees. had alot more test that point to brain involvement. going back mon to same neuro practice (different dr) so he will have all my records. have all my notes and test reports since. he will have to work with my llmd. one tomorrow will also.

at er mon night i had to keep explaining babesia to everyone. no one had heard of it. many said oh, you have lyme. (like oh no, you have lyme) I take my lyme folder with me if i see dr. i'm glad i had it as i couldn't get alot out. during tremors speech is difficult. my body has to put everything into the tremors, speech isnt slurred just slow

later...marsha
    Oh my! Prayers coming your way hun. I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. I think I'm suffering but when I read your post, I know I am not suffering half as bad as you. I sure hope someone finds out what's going on with you soon. My tremors are not as long as yours. They are uncontrollable but only last a couple of minutes. I couldn't imagine dealing with them lasting any longer. I feel for you hun

It seems like your doctor's have already checked a lot of things out. I had a hard time with the doctors here and I pretty much have to research everything first and bring it to their attention. It's always a fight.

The medicine I mentioned that is over the counter now is also prescribed. You can get it in a higer milligram in a presription but I buy a lower milligram over the counter so I can save money. Axid is the only thing I can take because I have a severe chemical sensitivity to prevacid, prilosec, etc.

Anyway, keep us posted because I'd like to know how things are going with you. You said you had lyme for 20 yrs? Did I read that right? If so, when did you start getting treated and are you getting any better?

Hugs hun,
    Chantel

Old 03-02-2007, 06:37 AM   #9
    Pearlscale
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pearlscale HB User

Saw gastro yesterday. He is concerned with liver and the fact I was on ketek. Ketek is being investigated and lawsuits have recently been brought against the manufacturer for it causing liver damage. I was on it a year ago for two rounds of 3 wks to get babesia. No liver problems then. But I am also on zocor now which is hard on the liver. So for now no abx, zocor, or tylenol. Have to wait and see if there is damage. Still no answers on why potassium dropped. They repeated all blood tests yesterday and I should hear today. Had alot of other tests on stomach, intestines etc.

Still having tremors but they are slight now. Sometimes I feel them inside my arm and hand but they are not visible shaking. Like they are either coming or going. I hope going. Still having alot of major headaches.

Chantel, to anwser your question. I was diagnosed with lyme 20 yrs this may. I was treated 2 days and had what ER Dr thought was reaction to doxy and taken off. A week or so later being worse, my PCP put me in hospital and I was then on IV rocephin for 10 days. I had cardiac involvement and it was doing something to my cartiledge. My Dr then had just learned of lyme and how it was in the NE. I had just come back from NY and Canada. I was treated about 2 months later again with IV for 10 days part of that time in hospital.

I think the treatments were enough to send it into cyst form where it hid out for years. Didn't even know about babesia then. I did have a positive lyme titer test back then..

I know lyme can cause lesions and I have lesions and MS signs. Since the cause of MS is unknown, I am wondering if the neuro might have been right couple yrs ago when he suspected MS. (wondering if maybe the lyme has caused ms.) I do see a neuro on Monday. I saw Dr in the same practice about 2 yrs ago. Theres so much unknown about lyme and ms.

Thanks everybody who have beening praying for me. I'm hanging in maybe by a thin thread, but as one friend that called me last night told me. Tie a knot in the end of thread and hold tighter. And I am.

Marsha

Old 03-02-2007, 12:20 PM   #10
    KateTheRiot
    (female)

KateTheRiot HB User

I recently read a book that mentioned that an award-winning scientist had found that at least one causative for MS is bacteria. The book did not specify which bacteria, but we all know that Lyme is OFTEN misdiagnosed as MS.

The book, which I highly recommend, is called Healing Lyme by Stephen Harrod Buhner. He is NOT opposed to abx, but he does go into the natural remedies you might try *in addition to* abx. When I do both together, I get the best results.

Unfortunately, due to a forced change in doc and insurance, I had to stop abx for 2 weeks. The supplements/herbals were not enough *for me* by themselves. I have restarted the abx while continuing the supplements, so I'll have to see if the symptoms go away again. I was almost symptom-free after only 6 weeks on the combined protocols.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:02 PM   #11
    J0J0
    Inactive

J0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB User

Hi you might want to read up on Chlamydia Pnuemoniae...this bacteria according to Dr. Charles Stratton is what is causing MANY MANY conditions, such as M.S., Fibro, demitia, alsheimers, cancers ect....

Marsha sendng you many much needed hugs your way....

Keep us posted okay!!!

Old 03-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #12
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Marsha. I am sorry things are so rough. Have you had your magnesium levels checked also?

For a long time, I had severely low potassium and low magnesium. No cause was ever found. I took several huge prescription potassium pills every day. I have also had elevated liver enzymes. I think stopping the meds for now is a good idea.

Do keep holding tighter. Know we are here with you and for you.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:34 PM   #13
    Pearlscale
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Pearlscale HB User

Kate the Riot
    I just researched ms last night and found there is a connection between ms and bacteria. But I already knew lyme is bacteria and that bacteria has been found in ms lesions and there are many possible causes for ms one of which is viral & bacterial.

Tried the natural Dr Js protocol with my abx for awhile and found I just couldn't tolerate any except the detox formula. So for now just off it all. Have put myself on a very strict diet to control yeast overgrowth. Hope that will help. Had cut out alot, but now a week on strict diet. Only sugar I allow myself is in my propel. And I dilute it equal with water. Just can't handle water.

JoJo
    I have researched chlamadia p and even discussed it with my LLMD. He said it wasn't a problem. I think it could be but what to do? I will go back and search stratton and see what I can find.

Ticker
    I find I have alot in common with you. I assume that I was check for the magnesium. They checked everything as far as I know. But the lab results from yesterday are to be a the neuro appt Mon so I will check to see if it was done there. I have had 3 different Drs doing blood tests this week, so I hope one did it.

I have been on prescription potassium since I started the diamox for fluid. But they did double it this week. They are now horse pills twice a day.

Thanks and prayers. I know I'm not the only one trying to take it minute by minute.

Marsha

Old 03-02-2007, 06:40 PM   #14
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Marsha. We do seem to have a lot in common. When my potassium deficiency was at its worst, I took 12 horse pills a day. I am not kidding!

Since we do have similiar cases, have you had your thyroid checked?

Old 03-03-2007, 06:41 AM   #15
    J0J0
    Inactive

Marsha just like with Lyme Disease one must see a speciliast that deals in the C.P. Bacteria. Since we were weeeee ones doctors feel that when you come down with a case of bronchitis, pnumoniae that a 10 day cours of ONE antibiotic will kill the bacteria off....this is not true...it is similar to the bacteria...going into remission and creating cells around itself...it is supposedley WORSE than the lyme bacteria beings it can be transmitted back and forth through sneezing and coughing...

The Fibro doctor I am seeing follows Charles Strattons protocols with antibiotics ...he is having GREAT success in helping people with it....

I have seen M.D.s and even Mayo and they pooh pooh it saying this bacteria is nothing...well from what I have learned...

Bacterias DO cause problems....just amazes me when you read on the fibro board that these people are having ALOT of the same symptoms as people with lyme...

Anyway ........

Worth learning about ....

Hope you will have a better day today!

Hugs....

Closed Thread