It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• have medicaid and iv question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
    silentstones
    (female)

silentstones HB User
    have medicaid and iv question

since i have medicaid , in order for them to pay for it ,i have to go to the hospitial to get iv meds adminestered everyday .(says Dr C in MO) i'v called medcare and got no where. since dr c is not local, i had to see ID doc to get her to administer drugs. she dosen't believe in cronic lyme and wont give iv meds even though i have my pcd and llds approval. went she talked to dr c, lld, she said he had recommended orals. im so cofussed as to how to get around this dr to get on ivs , i am crurrenty on azithromyicin 250mg, since the 14th of march, im not having any effect. so yesterday i bummed it up to 250mg twice a day . i talked to my llds nurse she said to stay on azromax for atleast a month (14th of april) .shoud i be on another abx. with azx. and how can i get around this dr to someone who can give iv meds. help. side note i have had 3 back surgerys since 5/05. since then my pain leavel is really unbearable . tendennitous has taken over my body and left me almost inmmobililized. anybody eles have tendon problem? also getting knots on joints.very paifull ,.my newest saying is" you never know just how bad you really are until your worse"!!!!! thanks ,Gods blessings, debi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
    debbie2340
    (female)

debbie2340 HB User
    Re: have medicaid and iv question

im on medicare and when i was on iv's last year it was either go to dr's office everyday which was a hour and a half away or she said i could do it at home myself as long as i got a dr. near my home for weekly blood tests. i went to my pc and he agreed to take blood and check pic-line. i than went to my lld monthly

Old 03-30-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
    J0J0
    Inactive

J0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB User

Debi I also am on Medicare/medi-cal/medicaid....

When I had my picc I was assigned an in home health nurse....She came to my home once a week to check my vitals, picc line insertion sightnd drew blood...IF i ever needed her orantoher nurse to come out all I had to do was call.

I was give enough medicine to put in my picc everyday for 2 weeks..then I had a lady that would bring me out my drugs...(antibiotics for my picc line).

I was also assigned a councelor that would come out to my home once a week a chat with me (when needed).

So I don't know if it differs from State to State...

I would suggest getting on the phone again on Monday and calling what insurances you have and ask them how you should go about this picc line..

Also YES I had tendinitis VERY BAD....hands, wrist arms...I wore wrist braces...I lost the use of my arms and legs for a while...it is not fun...sorry you are having to go through this....

Be strong....

Hugs!

Old 03-30-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
    silentstones
    (female)

silentstones HB User

hi debbie , thanks for your response. i have been reading your past post .i hope you are doing better. you and i have so much in common with this thing . i too have been sick since oct 89. (17 1/2 yrs).i had been exposed to parvo and corona virous at that time .never tested for that untill i went to this ID doc last week . she wanted to do her own test even though i had had igenics test and been seen by lld doc . i never could get a doc to test for that . i was told in 89 that people could not get parvo or corrona. so we'll see if that comes back positive . any way back to the medcare problem . i'm still confused . how did they bill medicare. did it just get billed like a shot , through your pcp , . i can get the pic put in with no problem . it's just getting the meds thats the problem. i allready give myself b12 shots , which i know is nothing like a cillin shot but atleast im over the sqwemmies about shots. alittle!!!!lol my lld wants me on rosephin for 4 wks then reevaluate how are you doing these days. are you getting better . this ID doc told me that there really was no cure or hope of getting better if you have had llyme this long . that lld just tell you that to get your hopes up and keep you comming back to them (spending more money) HI JoJo, i hope you are continuing to improve everyday. thanks for your response , my pcp said in order for home health to come out i would have to be home bound . so why didn't he say i was home bound . i didn't ask , ofcourse , i dont know how much more home bound i could get. my hubbie has to drive me everywhere now . so what do i need to do to get home health to come out . i'm so glad God has sent all you friends my way . you have been such a blessing to me and so many others . i pray for all of you daily . may God richly bless you out of his wonderful riches and suppy . thanks once again, debi

Last edited by silentstones; 03-31-2007 at 01:35 AM.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:59 AM   #5
    J0J0
    Inactive

J0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB User

Debi....call Dr. C's office on Monday and tell them how hard of a time you are having getting this picc in place and getting a home health Nurse to your home...

That I.D. doctor is running your in circles...

Dr. C needs to know what is happening..this is what he told you to do and this is what these doctors need to respect...

YES YOU ARE GOING TO GET BETTER! Ticks me off that these doctors tell us these things...

The doctor I finally found to help me really put his license on the edge for me...And I will forever be grateful to him! HE SAVED MY LIFE!!

You sound like I was having to have someone drive you places...there was no way at that time that I could of driven myself to a doctor's office every day to put med's in my picc....

It is not like giving yourself a shot every day...so much easier...

Please call Dr. C's on Monday and tell them the trouble you are having getting this put in and getting to a doctors office every day to get the medication...Maybe he just didn't understand...

Hugs and Prayer's to you!

Old 03-31-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
    silentstones
    (female)

silentstones HB User

hi jojo thanks for your compasion for those of us hurting and strugging with this horriabe disease. not to mention your own stuff. i am really down today i dont usually let 'em get to me this bad . i usually fight back but between this and the dr who told me the lie that back surgery would solve my fibo . this was just last yr i let him cut ,.butcher my back . which has made this thing so much worse, im just ready to throw in the towel , if i could just figure out how to i would . i'm beganing to think it just doesn't matter anymore . thanks. , ill call dr.c mon. and let you know how it went. . debi

Old 04-03-2007, 09:14 AM   #7
    silentstones
    (female)

silentstones HB User

hi , i called medicare they said it had to be given in medical phacility inorder to be covered , i called my pcp they dont do it there that i would have to go through thie ID doc . she will not do it . if i go to anyone eles they wil refer me back to her . any suggestions?

Old 04-04-2007, 07:34 AM   #8
    J0J0
    Inactive

Hi Debi.....boy you are getting the run around...geeessshhhhh!!

Something isn't right..I mean there shouldn't be that much trouble getting a in home health nurse and your med's for home...I don't get it.

It is SOOOO simple to do it in your home..wish I could help you out with it..my doctor all I remember he ordered it...and had no problem with receiving the med's at home and the nurse once a week...

It is not like you have to have a needle inserted every time to get the med. that is why they put in the picc line you just attach it to the end of it and push the plunger and in it goes....

Are you on any kind of antibiotic?? Until you can get back to Dr. C I hope you are atleast taking orals.

Good Luck to you!!!

Keep fighting for your health....

Old 04-04-2007, 06:15 PM   #9
    silentstones
    (female)

silentstones HB User

hi jojo , hope your havin a better day . if you don't mind me asking when was it that you were on iv . i m being told that clinton pulled some funds from medicare and caused some problems from the home health care systems.(that doesn't seem right to me ) i'm trying to find out more on this . there's got to be a way . there's always away . i've got to think outside the box. so i put a call in to my cousin ..lol.. let her figure on it a while . she's a home health nurse in a larger city. not defeated yet . i think ill take a day off , regain my stenght,do alittle extra praying. . if i come up with any thing i'll sure let you know, thanks. HAPPY EASTER!!!!!!!!! debi

Old 04-04-2007, 07:12 PM   #10
    J0J0
    Inactive

hI Debi...I had my picc in 2002 - 2003.

There are always cuts being made to medicare and medical. Seems they like to hit the down and out first...

Yes you are right there has to be a way...

I hope your cousin can help you find some answers...

Don't give up okay...think some one is just throwing you a curve ball....

When you talked to Medicare did they undderstand that it is not like a I.V. bag hanging there?

Happy Easter to you also!!

Hugs...

Last edited by J0J0; 04-04-2007 at 07:13 PM.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:35 AM   #11
    Jlec125
    (female)

Jlec125 HB User

Since you haven't posted again in over a week I am hoping you have worked out getting what you need. But I got diagnosed with neurological lyme disease in March after my symptoms first started in June. Also and am getting in-home infusion right now. I have Medicaid also so I want to share how I went about getting it. My insurance at first said they do not cover in-home infusion. So I had to go the hospital everyday for an hour and a half and get stuck with the IV every 3 days to get 2 grams of Rocephrin. It was an absolute PAIN because I suffer with horrible joint pain, headaches, nausea and fatigue so to have to drive to the hospital everyday was insane! I contacted my insurance company again and they said if I found a nursing service that would come ot my home, that they could get an "out-of-network authorization" and then they would have to cover it. So, that is what I did and now I have a nurse that comes to my house once a week just to check on the catheter and change the dressing. But I give myself the medication everyday. It is such a relief to be able to do it while I am in my own bed! I hope things work out for you!

Old 04-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #12
    Beachgirl0916
    Inactive
    (female)

Beachgirl0916 HB User

My insurance isnt medicaid so they wouldnt even pay for the IV, even with TONS of positive lyme tests, brain spect scan, neurological testing...etc...I am a severe case and I see my LLMD every week anyway--So I just do the IV at home by myself, and let him check it/change dressing when I see him weekly.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #13
    silentstones
    (female)

silentstones HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jlec125 View Post
    Since you haven't posted again in over a week I am hoping you have worked out getting what you need. But I got diagnosed with neurological lyme disease in March after my symptoms first started in June. Also and am getting in-home infusion right now. I have Medicaid also so I want to share how I went about getting it. My insurance at first said they do not cover in-home infusion. So I had to go the hospital everyday for an hour and a half and get stuck with the IV every 3 days to get 2 grams of Rocephrin. It was an absolute PAIN because I suffer with horrible joint pain, headaches, nausea and fatigue so to have to drive to the hospital everyday was insane! I contacted my insurance company again and they said if I found a nursing service that would come ot my home, that they could get an "out-of-network authorization" and then they would have to cover it. So, that is what I did and now I have a nurse that comes to my house once a week just to check on the catheter and change the dressing. But I give myself the medication everyday. It is such a relief to be able to do it while I am in my own bed! I hope things work out for you!
    hi jlec125 thanks for your post, i hope your having a better day today , i did take some time off board . much needed time away for hubbbie and i . we took to the coast for a week tryed to out run the cold here but to our disappointment it followed us. it was still good to get away from this hickville i live in ,with it's uncoopertive backwoods drs. anyway to the subject of post. do you have medicare and medicaid. if so that is probably why you can get approval. medicaid will do things medicare won't , go figure? i am still working on it though . first thing is getting a dr willing to work with it . i went to an I.D. doc yesterday she would have no part of it . so today i went back to my gp doc and he said he would help me get the ball running at my expence. also have a couz in the biz so that helps alot .its going to run between 5-10 dollars a day for the meds. 1 gram rosephin.then i plan to see an old doc i use to see to get it approved. ill atleast be on it be on the stuff . i sure hope it helps. wew. all the politics are a killed themself whos got time to be sick . well ,thanks again, ill keep you posted on progress. debi

Last edited by silentstones; 04-19-2007 at 02:03 PM.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #14
    silentstones
    (female)

silentstones HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beachgirl0916 View Post
    My insurance isnt medicaid so they wouldnt even pay for the IV, even with TONS of positive lyme tests, brain spect scan, neurological testing...etc...I am a severe case and I see my LLMD every week anyway--So I just do the IV at home by myself, and let him check it/change dressing when I see him weekly.
    hi beach , i too an having trouble with medicare . thanks to good old prez. clinten's changes in m.c. .there are much more road blocks . there 's got to be away . there's always a way.i was wondering if it's not to personable . how much does that stuff run you . kinda want to brace myself. if i find any loop holes i'll let you know. i'm not givin in without a fight. be blessed. deb.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #15
    Beachgirl0916
    Inactive
    (female)

Beachgirl0916 HB User

no i dont mind

I am lucky that I am 19 and My parents can afford it otherwise...I have never had a job, and I have been sick my whole teenage years--I would be in BIG trouble!!

It really depends on what antibiotic your doctor puts you on...some are really expensive...

I am on Rocephin/Ceftriaxone right now... it is ($6,000/month) about $1,500 a week...

Closed Thread