It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• My Lyme test results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User
    My Lyme test results

Here are my Lyme IgM Western Blot results:

18 kDa ++
    22 kDa -
    23-25 kDa -
    28 kDa -
    30 kDa -
    31 kDa -
    34 kDa -
    39 kDa IND
    41 kDa +
    45 kDa -
    58 kDa ++
    66 kDa -
    73 kDa -
    83-93 kDa IND

So, by these results, my doctor did a CD57 test to see if I have a co-infection. I think I had a Herx reaction when I first got on antibiotics. All my symptoms came back by the 3rd day on them with a vengence. He wants me to wait to see what the CD57 test says them he may put me on some stronger antibiotics.

My IGG was negative. Here are the results:

18 kDa -
    22 kDa -
    23-25 kDa -
    28 kDa -
    30 kDa +
    31 kDa -
    34 kDa -
    39 kDa -
    41 kDa +
    45 kDa -
    58 kDa -
    66 kDa -
    73 kDa -
    83-93 kDa -

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Re: My Lyme test results

Hi Chantel. Below is the breakdown of the Western Blot bands:

9 cross-reactive for Borrellia
    12 specific for Bb
    18 unknown
    20 cross-reactive for Borrellia
    21 unknown
    22 specific for Bb, probably really the 23/25 band
    23-25 outer surface protein C (OspC), specific for Bb
    28 unknown
    30 unknown; probably an outer surface protein; common in European and
    one California strain
    31 outer surface protein A (OspA), specific for Bb
    34 outer surface protein B (OspB); specific for Bb
    35 specific for Bb
    37 specific for Bb
    38 cross-reactive for Bb
    39 is a major protein of Bb flagellin; specific for Bb
    41 flagellin protein of all spirochetes; this is usually the first to appear after a Bb infection and is specific for all Borrellia
    45 cross-reactive for all Borellia (sometimes people with Lyme who have
    this band positive also have the co-infection Ehrlichiosis)
    50 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
    55 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
    57 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
    58 unknown but may be a heat-shock Bb protein
    60 cross reactive for all Borrellia
    66 cross-reactive for all Borrelia, common in all bacteria
    83 specific antigen for the Lyme bacterium, probably a cytoplasmic membrane
    93 unknown, probably the same protein in band 83, just migrates differently in some patients

Did your doctor test you for each of the co-infections--Babesiosis, both types of Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma? A CD-57 test does not show co-infections.

Band 41 is often the first to show, and yours is positive. Bands 39 and 83 are Lyme specific and yours are IND.

What meds are you taking?

Old 04-26-2007, 12:26 AM   #3
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Hey Ticker,

Thank you for all of the info. My doctor put me on 500mg of Levaquin to see what happens. He is also talking about putting me on a stronger antibiotic because he thingks I have a co-infection. He thinks that is why my liver enzymes were high. I'm not sure what all I got teated for. This all confuses me. All I do know though is that when I am on Levaquin, the first few days, I feel really awful. All of my symptoms come back real strong. He thinks I am herxing. After those few days though, I start to feel better. Now that I think about it, when I was put in the hospital for a bladder infection last year, I think I herxed then too. I was put on 2 strong IV antibiotics then.

What do you think I should be on right now? My doctor listens very well and is up to anything.

P.S.- I think he is not really sure if I have it or not so that's why he put me on a months worth of Levaquin to see what happens since I told him that I feel better on it. He has to be careful with my liver. I really don't want to be on too much right now since I'm so scared with my liver and he knows that.

Chantel

Old 04-26-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
    sarah92202
    Veteran
    (female)

sarah92202 HB User

Chantel, one thing that Dr. Forrester is known for is the Herx reaction. he believes in trying an ABX for a month to see if you herx before he radically treats you for LD. This is his way of proving to himself that he is going foward with the right Diag. He did this with my friend Lisa and with another friends daughter who had already been daig. by Dr Jones. I wouldn't necessarily say he doesn't really believe you have LD, I think this is just his protocal. Your IGG was pos. by Igenex? Thats a pretty sure sign you have LD. A low cd57 is common in LD patients, not in other diseases that's why he is checking it, not for co-infections. I think he is a very cauteous LLMD. And that is a good thing. Sarah

Old 04-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
    Beachgirl0916
    Inactive
    (female)

Beachgirl0916 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chantel2003 View Post
    Here are my Lyme IgM Western Blot results:

18 kDa ++
    Look up online what Dr. Jones says about the 18 antibody on a Western Blot. He believes THIS BAND alone is enough to prove lyme. IT is in many articles.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Chantel. Many people who have Lyme get eleveated liver enzymes. If your liver is healthy, taking the supplement Milk Thistle daily can help with this.

Be careful with Levaquin. One of the possible side effects is tendon pain. This can lead to serious problems. If you have any pain you may think is from this, do not assume it is a herx. Call your doctor.

You need to be tested for all of the co-infections by a Lyme lab. It is best to know upfront what infections are present so you can get the best treatment for your case.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:05 AM   #7
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarah92202 View Post
    Chantel, one thing that Dr. Forrester is known for is the Herx reaction. he believes in trying an ABX for a month to see if you herx before he radically treats you for LD. This is his way of proving to himself that he is going foward with the right Diag. He did this with my friend Lisa and with another friends daughter who had already been daig. by Dr Jones. I wouldn't necessarily say he doesn't really believe you have LD, I think this is just his protocal. Your IGG was pos. by Igenex? Thats a pretty sure sign you have LD. A low cd57 is common in LD patients, not in other diseases that's why he is checking it, not for co-infections. I think he is a very cauteous LLMD. And that is a good thing. Sarah
    Hey Sarah,

As you can tell, I still don't know enough about this disease. Thank you for clarrifying everything for me. I really like Dr. forester and I know in my heart that he will do everything he can for me.

No, both of my tests came back negative. I had some positive bands though on my IGM. 39 was IND and 41 was +. That's why he put me on the abx.

I was confused about the CD57 test. I took in so much information that day. Thanks for explaining that to me. I remember now.

Chantel

Old 04-27-2007, 12:07 AM   #8
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beachgirl0916 View Post
    Look up online what Dr. Jones says about the 18 antibody on a Western Blot. He believes THIS BAND alone is enough to prove lyme. IT is in many articles.
    Beachgirl,

Oh wow, I didn't know that. Thank you s much for letting me know. I will definately look it up. I feel so in the dark with this disease. It's still hard for me to believe I do have it since my tests are negative.

Chantel

Old 04-27-2007, 08:18 AM   #9
    sarah92202
    Veteran
    (female)

sarah92202 HB User

Quote:
    Hey Sarah,

As you can tell, I still don't know enough about this disease. Thank you for clarrifying everything for me. I really like Dr. forester and I know in my heart that he will do everything he can for me.

No, both of my tests came back negative. I had some positive bands though on my IGM. 39 was IND and 41 was +. That's why he put me on the abx.

I was confused about the CD57 test. I took in so much information that day. Thanks for explaining that to me. I remember now.

Chantel
    Chantel, from what I have read and what Ticker posted the 41 band is specific for LD, I am also not pos. by CDC or Igenex but I have 41kDa and several other pos. on both IGM & IGG, same with my son. I have been told by 2 different LLMD's that I have LD and my neur. read the results and agreed also. So obviously that's why the LLMD's know we have LD even without the CDC or Igenex agreeing. Plus those are just guidelines they go by for reporting purposes, they even state on the report that double starred bands are significant at IND and +. I know what you mean about being confused. I have spent hour after hour every day for 7 months researching and reading everything and every book I could get my hands on and talking to people about LD. when my son and I got diag. we got his results on a Thurs. here in Texas and Mon. we were in CT seeing Dr. Jones, he had a cancelation or it would have been 3 months to get my son in. They told me about Dr. Phillips and he was able to see me Tues. I didn't even have my Igenex report back yet, but he started me on ABX's because of history and an Equivicol Elisa, and my CD57 came back before my Igenex report and it was 26. We had never been to CT before, and every test we had to take was in a different town. I drove all over that state, at least it's not as big as Texas, LOL But It was very overwhelming. And we only get to see our LLMD's every 3 months. So I made sure that I was going to learn everything I could about LD. Still I hear contradictory things all the time, because this disease is so different from person to person. This board has been alot of help to, we don't have a support group here, but I just finally found another adult here that has LD, the rest are children that go to my son's school. So I feel pretty lonely most of the time. Unless you have LD you don't understand how bad we actually feel. Hang in there, and learn as much as you can. I even go down to the bookstore, get a drink and read their books. Have you found a support group? You know that the board is here for you to help, There also is a monthly newspaper called the Public Health Alert you can order for $30.00 a year You just send the payment to: Public Health Alert 821 Sansome Dr. Arlington, TX 76018. Bryan Rosner sent me the April & May copies of it and it is really a great newspaper, it has personal stories and info about ILADS and IDSA and everything that is going on with LD. Sincerely, Sarah

Old 04-27-2007, 05:04 PM   #10
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Sarah,

Thank you so much for all of the info. I will definately order the paper and start reading more about LD. I guess sometimes in my mind I think that I don't really have it, KWIM? Everyone here looks at me like I'm crazy and most of the doctors here don't believe we have Lyme in Louisiana. The funny thing about that is that I know a few people here that have had it already and Dr. Forester also treats many people from here that have it too. Sometimes, I think.........am I crazy or what? Do I have something else? I go round and round with it all even though I have a lot of the symptoms from Lyme. I guess I doubt myself too much sometimes. I just wish it would have came back positive so I would know for sure.

I haven't found a support group yet but I will keep looking. I think Dr. Forester might know of one. I will ask the next time I go.

I hope you and your son feel better soon.

Chantel

Old 04-27-2007, 06:06 PM   #11
    sarah92202
    Veteran
    (female)

sarah92202 HB User

Chantel, I know what you mean about the doubting. I think it is just us not wanting to have it, but deep down we know we do. Ever since I got my Igenex report back last year I have not been in denial. But when I received my Elisa and it was equivicol and my doc said I didn't have LD I spent years thinking, I have it, they are wrong. I don't have it, they are right. I didn't research it then other than look up the symptoms. I researched everything else they kept saying I possibly had. But nothing fit right. I finally just gave up on the doc's and stopped seeing them at all and went into complete denial that there was anything wrong with me at all. But then when my son was having some of the same symptoms and his doc's couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. I was like. How can we have the same symptoms but are all neg. for autoimmune diseases. Then when his new ped. immediately suggested LD within the first 5 min. of his appt. I knew it was LD, it explained everything. His Igenex report came back before mine, but I knew that the LLMD would diag. me with it to. I guess because I have a son that has been diag. with it too, and by a different LLMD than me, and he has the same symptoms as me it is easier for me not to doubt it than other people, I am so sorry that you have LD, but you are not crazy, and i know how you feel, it is a hard and lonely road. Thank Goodness we have this board, and each other. Sincerely, Sarah

Old 04-29-2007, 02:28 AM   #12
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Chantel, I know what you mean about the doubting. I think it is just us not wanting to have it, but deep down we know we do. Ever since I got my Igenex report back last year I have not been in denial. But when I received my Elisa and it was equivicol and my doc said I didn't have LD I spent years thinking, I have it, they are wrong. I don't have it, they are right. I didn't research it then other than look up the symptoms. I researched everything else they kept saying I possibly had. But nothing fit right. I finally just gave up on the doc's and stopped seeing them at all and went into complete denial that there was anything wrong with me at all. But then when my son was having some of the same symptoms and his doc's couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. I was like. How can we have the same symptoms but are all neg. for autoimmune diseases. Then when his new ped. immediately suggested LD within the first 5 min. of his appt. I knew it was LD, it explained everything. His Igenex report came back before mine, but I knew that the LLMD would diag. me with it to. I guess because I have a son that has been diag. with it too, and by a different LLMD than me, and he has the same symptoms as me it is easier for me not to doubt it than other people, I am so sorry that you have LD, but you are not crazy, and i know how you feel, it is a hard and lonely road. Thank Goodness we have this board, and each other. Sincerely, Sarah
    Sarah,

Thank you for that. I have been so emotional lately. My thyroid has been up and down and I just feel like I'm completely crazy sometimes. Try making someone believe you have Lyme when you're so emotional, lol. Anyway, thanks for all of the support. I truly need it right now. It has been a long, long road and sometimes I am so ready to just give up. I am tired of going to so many doctors and being poked for blood. I just want to feel better.

Hugs
    Chantel

Old 04-29-2007, 03:17 PM   #13
    sarah92202
    Veteran
    (female)

sarah92202 HB User

Chantel, I know what you mean, I am so sick of this illness too. are you taking any vitamins or supplements to help your immune system. Magnesium is a must and so are probiotics. Hang in there, and we are here for you.. Sincerely, Sarah

Old 04-29-2007, 05:55 PM   #14
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Chantel, I know what you mean, I am so sick of this illness too. are you taking any vitamins or supplements to help your immune system. Magnesium is a must and so are probiotics. Hang in there, and we are here for you.. Sincerely, Sarah

Hey Sarah,

Thanks hun Ys, Dr. Forester told me to take Magnesium, Sam GLA, Calcium, and Vitamin D. I've never met a doctor that ever told me to take supplements before. I believe in supplements 100%.

P.S.- What are probiotics?

Hugs,
    Chantel

Old 04-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #15
    sarah92202
    Veteran
    (female)

sarah92202 HB User

Quote:
    Hey Sarah,

Thanks hun Ys, Dr. Forester told me to take Magnesium, Sam GLA, Calcium, and Vitamin D. I've never met a doctor that ever told me to take supplements before. I believe in supplements 100%.

P.S.- What are probiotics?

Hugs,
    Chantel
    Chantel, I'm glad he told you about the supplements, that is a good sign! Most doc's skip that part and it is very important. ABX's not only kill of the bad bacteria but also the good bacteria in your digestive track and vagina and can cause yeast overgrowth, probitoics restore that good bacteria, it's in yougart and you can buy it in pill form that has alot more live cultures than yougart. I take PB8 and eat yougart, but there are alot of different brands out there in the vitamin/supplement section of any store. they even have chewable ones. You have to get some and take them everyday! I am also taking Wobenzym N, which I feel has helped with my energy, it is an enzematic supplement, my Endo said it was a very good thing to take. Take Care, Sarah

Closed Thread