It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• To Biaxin or Not to Biaxin? Info on this drug?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
    bubbalyme
    (female)

bubbalyme HB User
    Question To Biaxin or Not to Biaxin? Info on this drug?

Hello there, just been put on combination biaxin amoxicillen. Anyone have any input as to whether this combination is good for lyme.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Re: To Biaxin or Not to Biaxin? Info on this drug?

Hi bubbalyme. Biaxin is often prescribed for Lyme. What doses of the meds will you be taking? I have never heard of it being combined with Amoxicillin.

It can cause a metallic taste so be prepared for that. I think some people get relief by eating something salty.

Good luck!

Last edited by ticker; 05-08-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
    sarah92202
    Veteran
    (female)

sarah92202 HB User

Bubbalyme. I would be more worried about the amox. than the Biaxin. amox is not an ideal med for Lyme it can cause the lyme to go into the cell walls and hide until you stop taking it, and then imerge and multiply. I also have not heard of combining these two ABX's, usually with Biaxin,they will prescribe a tetracycline(zithro, doxy, minocycline) and a 5-nitroimidazole(such as flagyl). Make sure that you drink lots of water and take probiotics with these ABX's. Sarah

Last edited by sarah92202; 05-08-2007 at 03:37 PM.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
    cbsoapfan
    (female)

cbsoapfan HB User

If Dr. P put you on Amox, he'll probably only have you on it for 3 to 4 weeks. I was on Augmentin for four weeks and then he switched it to something else. He believes in switching antibiotics around to get it to come out of hiding. I was . on Augmentin, and Doxy (2nd and 4th week pulse of Flagyl). Now i'm on Ketek & Doxy with a 3rd week pulse of Flagyl.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:34 AM   #5
    bubbalyme
    (female)

bubbalyme HB User

Hi guys, I personally hate drugs and now for the first time have to take them. I don't like the unknown combination and in Dr. Burrascano's guidelines they say that flagyl may become less effective with doxy. But I have a good years supply of doxy and thought I should use it. But the doctor wants the amox and the biaxin. Lets hope the pharmacist is on the ball. I have read that amox should be used with probenecid. The doses are only 1000 mg per day respectively. Which I here are very low. I am impressed he is worried about my gallbladder and herxing too quickly, but I don't know.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:16 AM   #6
    ktp812
    Inactive
    (female)

ktp812 HB User

I was started off on biaxin, plaquenil, amox and probenecid. It worked great for me. I had my first herx 5 days later. I didn't like the taste of the biaxin so he switched me to ketek, amox and probenecid. I was on that for 5 months and then he changed me to ceftin/ketek. All I can say is that I had definate herxing with that combination. Maybe he is starting you off on that and then will switch it up later on. I have other problems also but I can tell you that it was a great combo and I know those bugs and dying off.
    Kim

Closed Thread