It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Is anyone cured?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
    mindy78
    (female)

mindy78 HB User
    Is anyone cured?

I was diagnosed with lyme disease about 6 months ago, and probably have had it for at least 6 years. I have had the common rashes and have coinfections of bartonella and rickettsia, also neurological symptoms, plus a lot of the same things that others have listed. I am on the many oral antibiotics, now including rifampin, amoxycilin and doxycycline, and believe I have a competent doctor. Just wondering if anyone has examples of patients who have gotten better completely? Is that a possibility? I really am not looking forward to being sick for the rest of my life at age 28. Any uplifting information would be appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
    Re: Is anyone cured?

Hi mindy78 and welcome.

My fatigue is so bad today - so I can't write a lot.

LOL - the blind leading the blind.

28 is quite young - your immune system is strong and I'm sure you'll feel better someday. Try to have hope - Lyme is treatable & curable.

Be careful on that Doxy when you're in sunshine. Last year I burned my knuckles by just driving around on a sunny day. I can't believe that I could get so sunburned through my windshield! It was painful and my hands still are discolored.

Be warned - invest in a good sunscreen. I wore gloves and long sleeves the whole summer after that. I wouldn't even wear flip-flops. I wore my Uggs, even is summer.

With all the antibiotics you're taking, it may be worth your while to take a high quality pro-biotic. The good quality ones have to be refrigerated and contain more than one "-ifidus" bacteria. For example, acidofilus + bifidous. You can find it in any health food store.

The benefit of pro-biotics is that it replaces the good intestinal bacteria that antibiotic's kill. Antibiotics can't tell the difference between good & bad bacteria. So a good pro-biotic can keep you healthy and strong while you're under treatment.

Another idea you may want to consider is taking Milk Thistle (aka Silymarin). The brand I take is "pure Encapsulations" and it seems to work. Some antibiotics can affect the liver enzymes and liver health.

Since the liver is an organ that detoxifies our bodies, you want it to be as healthy as possible!

Just wondering ... have you been tested for co-infections? Is your doctor Lyme Literate?

Let us know how you're doing.

Peace and health,
    Mickie

Last edited by 6Blues; 05-21-2007 at 07:17 PM.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User

p.s.

The healthy folks (the "cured" ones) are out there.

They're so busy driving and gardening and dancing and biking and skiing and scuba diving and sewing and singing and working and shopping and taking classes and travelling .... they don't post as often as us sick ones - but boy are they are busy!

Once in a while they pop in and give hope to the rest of us, still down in this hole, trying to make sense of senseless disease.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:28 AM   #4
    Bill S
    Inactive
    (male)

Bill S HB User

I'm running at about 98% of normal, but with some residual symptoms. Does that count? Still have a ways to go, but there's daylight showing at the end of the tunnel.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
    EternalBliss17
    (female)

EternalBliss17 HB User

HI Everyone,

Bill, what helped you get over the hump? what treatment? did you do any alternative therapy, too?

THANKS. : )

Old 05-22-2007, 09:13 AM   #6
    mindy78
    (female)

mindy78 HB User

Thank you all. I did have the same burns on my hands from the doxy, but now am on 55+ sunblock and sometimes I even wear gloves if I'm driving around. It's just something else to add to the list. Also, I'm taking the probiotics, etc. I think we're on the right track so far. My doctor also prescribed IV vitamins, anyone have experience with that?

I was thinking that those that are cured are probably not writing in, but I just need to see that light at the end of the tunnel. 98% is good, so I'll go with that. I have a doctor's appointment this weekend, yes she is very lyme literate, so I might ask her for examples of patients that have been cured, just to have something to look forward to. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:27 AM   #7
    outinthe_woods
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

outinthe_woods HB User

Hi, Mindy!

I can't say that I'm cured, but after more than a decade (close to 2 with "wierd symptoms before dx) I am finally better - not cured - but better. Unfortunately, my Lyme was undertreated for so long that I had brain damage which has been improving (perhaps my neurons are renewing themselves now and synapsing better? don't know - and neurologists or LLMD won't swear to it...LOL) at any rate, my cognitive problems drag on (as 6 blues said, FATIGUE) but I've been doing more deep breathing and trying to support my head in bed better to get more oxygen to my brain - maybe it's helping as I am improved. I no longer spend most of my day and night in bed and last week, actually went out and trimmed branches on my trees which had badly overgrown...only the smaller, thinner branches, but, there were quite a few!

So, not saying I'm cured, but I AM better.and thankful for the improvement! It's been a long hard road! Hang in there!

Old 05-22-2007, 09:35 AM   #8
    TINUVIEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi mindy,

Yes, people do get better. As others have stated, the ones that have gotten well are not here on the board, they are busy out and about living their lives.

It can be a long and challenging (to put it politely) road to recovery however people do get there with correct treatment. Also, there are many people who were never on the board to begin with. It sounds like you have a competent doctor who is addressing the co-infections which is extremely important.

With Lyme that has progressed to the disseminated stage, recovery is possible, however, a certain amount of the organism remains in the body. If the immune system becomes surpressed by stress, steroids, etc. it is possible for it to flare up again. For this reason, it is important even after recovery to take really good care of yourself for the rest of your life by maintaining good nutritional habits, proper rest, minimizing alcohol consumption, etc. But then that is a sensible thing for anyone to do whether they have had Lyme or not.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
    Bill S
    Inactive
    (male)

Bill S HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EternalBliss17 View Post
    HI Everyone,

Bill, what helped you get over the hump? what treatment? did you do any alternative therapy, too?

THANKS. : )

My doc put me on Vit-D3 supplements (initially 2000IU, raised to 4000IU recently), along with 6g fish oil, Tindamax (500mg /day), Cefzil (2x500mg /day), and Benicar (worked up to 3 x 10mg /day, now being increased to 2 x 40mg/day). It's been working out WELL so far, albiet slower than I like. In treatment with this regimen since late December '06. I'm at about 98% of normal, with some persistent minor symptoms. My CD-57 is rising, though it's not yet where we want it to be (that'll take some months).

My doc says that the low Vit-D test results are because I have so much inflammation in my body; the Lyme spirochetes apparently go into cyst form and create inflammation around themselves as protection from the antibiotics. You have to keep the Vit-D levels up, and the Benicar regimen seems to help with both reducing the inflammation and helps keep the die-off reactions down.

He's also had me on Boswellia Complex for inflammation, and some kelp to help my intestines heal from a bout with Yeast. I also use a yeast-inhibiting product called Fungal Defense, made by Garden of Life. I take LOTS of Acidophilus supplements as well.

Mindy, you said:

I did have the same burns on my hands from the doxy, but now am on 55+ sunblock and sometimes I even wear gloves if I'm driving around. It's just something else to add to the list.

One thing you might look into is having your windows coated with a film made by Llumar called UV-shield. It blocks 99.9% of both UV-A and UV-B, and may help with your sunlight problems. I have had it installed on both my vehicles due to a very close call with deadly skin cancer, but I recommend it for everyone else. It cost about $170 for a passenger car.

Last edited by Bill S; 05-22-2007 at 06:01 PM.

Closed Thread