It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Weird symptoms while on Zithromax

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2007, 03:26 AM   #1
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User
    Weird symptoms while on Zithromax

I was put on Zithromax for a sinus infection and by the second day, I wasn't feeling too good. The jumping in my legs started. I feel like there is something in there. My legs are hurting again too. The muscles in my arms hurt. My ribs are hurting again pretty bad. They feel swollen. The exhaustion is back too but I'm not sure if it's lyme or my menstural cycle doing that. My eye is jumping again but this time it's at the bottom. Usually it is the top of my eyelid. I was drinched in sweat the other night and I've been having the chills pretty bad. I've been feeling a lot more anxious too and my fingers hurt when I bend them. Also, an hour after taking the abx, my neck started getting stiff and I felt like I was getting a headache. I took the last pill yesterday and all of these symptoms are still here. What do you all think? Could this be a herx on only 200mg of Zithromax?

Thanks,
    Chantel

Last edited by hanelo4; 05-28-2007 at 03:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2007, 06:22 AM   #2
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Re: Weird symptoms while on Zithromax

Hi Chantel. Yes it sounds like you are herxing even though the dose is low. Night sweats and chills are symptoms of Babesiosis. Zithromax is one of the meds prescribed with Mepron to treat Babesiosis.

Make sure you are tested for all the co-infections. Most Lyme doctors believe they need to be treated first for Lyme treatment to be effective. This was true in my case.

Make sure you tell the Lyme doctor about this reaction when you see him. He may want to prescribe Zithromax since it seems to be targeting your symptoms.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ticker View Post
    Hi Chantel. Yes it sounds like you are herxing even though the dose is low. Night sweats and chills are symptoms of Babesiosis. Zithromax is one of the meds prescribed with Mepron to treat Babesiosis.

Make sure you are tested for all the co-infections. Most Lyme doctors believe they need to be treated first for Lyme treatment to be effective. This was true in my case.

Make sure you tell the Lyme doctor about this reaction when you see him. He may want to prescribe Zithromax since it seems to be targeting your symptoms.
    Hey Ticker,

Thanks for responding. I will definitely ask him to test me for co-infections before I start treatment. I wonder why I was so anxious too? It was aweful feelings. I'm not even sure I'm ready to go through all of that. It's scary. This morning, my head felt really weird. It's hard to explain and my muscles were jumping all over my body. I had trouble sleeping last night too. I kept jumping in my sleep and waking up. My dreams have even been more intense too. It's really weird.

I have a lot of symptoms of Babesiosis and Bartonella(without the scrath) so I want to be tested for sure.

If I'm on Zithromax and Mepron, would I still need to take Flagyl or Plaq to target the cysts?

Chantel

Old 05-29-2007, 05:07 AM   #4
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Chantel. Lyme can cause anxiety in some people. It sounds like the Zithromax is stirring things up.

Make sure you are tested for all co-infections.

You may need to take Flagyl at another time to treat the cyst form.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:36 PM   #5
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Hi Chantel. Lyme can cause anxiety in some people. It sounds like the Zithromax is stirring things up.

Make sure you are tested for all co-infections.

You may need to take Flagyl at another time to treat the cyst form.
    Hi Ticker,

I am getting frustrated with my doctor and am starting to believe that he doesn't treat aggressively enough like you said. Well, I actually talked to his PA and it seems like I know more than him. I asked him about testing for co-infections and he said all they do is give me a check off list to check off my symtoms and go from there. huh? That was weird to me. If I test for co-infection, what type of test should they do? Is this bloodwrok they send off?

Also, I have been having some really weird symptoms since I got off of the Zithromax. My body has literally been jumping all over. My head has been jumping and cloudy......I can barely think straight and the other morning, I felt like I was literally losing my mind. It really scared me. I've been having really weird dreams too. I told him all of this and he said that it was probably a herx and that I should have stopped the antibiotics when all of this started. Is this true? Do I stop antibiotics when I herx? He said that the toxins didn't have anywhere to go and that's probably why I felt the way I did. But, do I seriously stop the abx when I herx?

He also told me to take benadryl. Okay, I was already out of it and I didn't think benadryl was a good idea. The only thing I could think of was that he thought I had had a panic attack and benadryl would help. I know some people take that when they have panic attacks. All I know now is that I am really scared to start these treatments. I feel worse off now than I did before. My hands are always jumpy and shaky. I'm miserable. He also told me I would probably just be taking Doxy to start and add Flagyl later on. I thought we had to take a combo of abxs?

I would really appreciate you trying to answer as many questions as you can. I am so frustrated. I am about to drive to Florida to see Dr. Crist. Seriously.

Thanks hun,
    Chantel

Old 05-31-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Chantel. I know of only one other Lyme doctor who does not test for co-infections, and I would not recommend him either. It does not make sense not to test for them when so many people have them. In my opinion, in order to get the best treatment, you need to know what all is present so you can get treated accordingly. I think it would be beneficial for you to get another opinion.

The co-infection tests are blood tests. IgeneX is one of the best labs for tick-borne testing.

Some doctors advise patients to back off the meds during herxes and some advise them to continue.

Herxes can be very intense and cause all kinds of symptoms. I know it is scary, but just remember it is part of the recovery process.

What dose of Doxy did he prescribe?

Hang in there okay?

Last edited by ticker; 05-31-2007 at 05:10 PM.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:59 AM   #7
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Hi Chantel. I know of only one other Lyme doctor who does not test for co-infections, and I would not recommend him either. It does not make sense not to test for them when so many people have them. In my opinion, in order to get the best treatment, you need to know what all is present so you can get treated accordingly. I think it would be beneficial for you to get another opinion.

The co-infection tests are blood tests. IgeneX is one of the best labs for tick-borne testing.

Some doctors advise patients to back off the meds during herxes and some advise them to continue.

Herxes can be very intense and cause all kinds of symptoms. I know it is scary, but just remember it is part of the recovery process.

What dose of Doxy did he prescribe?

Hang in there okay?
    Hey Ticker,

I will keep my appointment with him but insist he check me for co-infections or I will go to another doctor..........period. I am not letting someone mess with my health like that. All this came from his PA so I will find out for sure next week when I go.

My herxes were VERY intense. I guess that's why he said I should have stopped. It messed with my head really bad. My body is still jumping but it's not as bad anymore. My head has been in a cloud though and I feel like I cannot think straight anymore. Do people with LD ever get on antidepressants because of this? Did it affect your mind/head at all?

I'm not sure yet what dose he will put me on but I need to remind him about my ulcers and erosive esophagus. I'm not sure doxy is a good one for me. I will ask him about Biaxin maybe instead. What do you think?

Thanks hun,
    Chantel

Old 06-06-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
    stephen1970
    (male)

stephen1970 HB User

Hi Chantel,

I was taking Zithromax about 7 months ago for pneumonia. I had horrible anxiety, pain, clouded thinking, panic, racing heart, you name it! It eventually sort of went away after a few days but after about a month it all came back and has stayed with me for the last 6 months. I feel like I'm going crazy. I have been to see so many doctors about this but none of them have ever heard of such side effects. However, do a quick search on the net and you can find quite a few people who have experienced the same thing (but I'm not sure if they lasted over 6 months or just a few days). I'm just wondering how you are doing now? Has any doctor that you've seen heard about this problem? My doctors have all wanted me to go on anti-depressants but I haven't started them yet cause I don't know if the zithromax has caused a chemical imbalance or neurological damage, or as you said before some sort of toxic build up.

I hope we can help each other out on this one.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #9
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi stephen1970. Do you think you could have Lyme disease? I ask because often when people who have Lyme take antibiotics, their symptoms become worse or they get new ones. This reaction is called a Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction (herx). When the antibiotics kill the bacteria, toxins are released making them feel sicker. It can be very scary when it happens, but it is a good sign the antibiotics are working. Although it can vary individually, many people experience this at the beginning of treatment and every three to four weeks.

Zithromax is one antibiotic used to treat Lyme disease and the co-infection Babesiosis. Maybe it stirred up Lyme bacteria in your system.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #10
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Chantel. I am glad you will get tested for all the co-infections.

Some people who have Lyme take antidepressants. Yes, Lyme can definitely affect your brain. Check out Columbia University's Lyme Disease Research Studies Overview of Neuropsychiatric Lyme Disease. It has a ton of information.

There are many different antibiotics that can be effective, including Biaxin.

Last edited by ticker; 06-06-2007 at 12:03 PM.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #11
    stephen1970
    (male)

stephen1970 HB User

ticker, I'm not sure if I have Lyme disease. Before November of last year I had no symptoms and no recollection of getting bit by anything that caused a rash. I was given Zithromax in 2002 for an ear infection and had similar side effects. The difference was, I took a lower dose at that time over the course of a few days and felt the same anxiety, pains, and fear but at a lesser level so I quickly switched to a different antibiotic. I've never had any physical or mental problems until I took it again for pneumonia and the only reason I took it this time was because I was in another country in 2002 and the name of the antibiotic was different. Lesson learned!

I will ask my doctor about getting tested for lyme just to be sure. Could you tell me about the tests they use to determine if someone has lyme and how long does treatment take?

Old 06-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #12
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Stephen. Do you currently have symptoms?

Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
    Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
    Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
    Unexplained hair loss
    Swollen glands
    Sore throat
    Testicular pain/pelvic pain
    Unexplained menstrual irregularity
    Unexplained milk production: breast pain
    Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
    Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
    Upset stomach
    Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
    Chest pain or rib soreness
    Shortness of breath, cough
    Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
    Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
    Joint pain or swelling
    Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
    Muscle pain or cramps
    Twitching of the face or other muscles
    Headache
    Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
    Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
    Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
    Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
    Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
    lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
    Lightheadedness, wooziness
    Tremor
    Confusion, difficulty in thinking
    Difficulty with concentration, reading
    Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
    Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
    Difficulty with speech or writing
    Mood swings, irritability, depression
    Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
    Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

Although a bulls-eye rash is a definite sign of Lyme disease, only about 50% of people who have Lyme ever get a rash. Many people are bitten by ticks without knowing it, because they are tiny and they inject a numbing agent so you cannot feel them on you.

Unfortunately, there is no completely reliable test for Lyme, and results can vary by lab. It is my understanding that the ELISA or titer is the least reliable, and the one most doctors run first. TheWestern Blot is a better test, but it should be done at a Lyme lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA. This test lists a series of numerical bands with a + - or IND after each one. The CDC requires several bands to show for the test to be positive; however many people who have Lyme do not have this many bands. Lyme doctors often look at which bands show, some are specific for Lyme.

When Lyme disease is a possibility, it is very important to see a knowledge-able doctor. Many doctors do not understand Lyme and treat with outdated protocols. Lyme needs continuous, aggressive treatment. Besides Lyme, ticks can also transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, two types of Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. It is estimated that 60% of people who have Lyme are co-infected. It may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

There definitely is Lyme disease in Canada. There is a Candian Lyme Disease Foundation.

Treatment length depends on several factors including how long the person was sick, the type of symptoms they have, if co-infections are present, what other health issues are present etc. Long-term treatment is not unusual.

It is also important to learn as much as possible. I recommend reading Dr. Joseph Burrascano's 2005 Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines For Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses. He is one of the top Lyme doctors in the country, and many Lyme doctors follow his protocols. I also recommend the book "Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease (2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner.

I hope you can get some answers soon.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:53 AM   #13
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stephen1970 View Post
    Hi Chantel,

I was taking Zithromax about 7 months ago for pneumonia. I had horrible anxiety, pain, clouded thinking, panic, racing heart, you name it! It eventually sort of went away after a few days but after about a month it all came back and has stayed with me for the last 6 months. I feel like I'm going crazy. I have been to see so many doctors about this but none of them have ever heard of such side effects. However, do a quick search on the net and you can find quite a few people who have experienced the same thing (but I'm not sure if they lasted over 6 months or just a few days). I'm just wondering how you are doing now? Has any doctor that you've seen heard about this problem? My doctors have all wanted me to go on anti-depressants but I haven't started them yet cause I don't know if the zithromax has caused a chemical imbalance or neurological damage, or as you said before some sort of toxic build up.

I hope we can help each other out on this one.
    Hi Stephen,

I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that because I know how scary it was for me. I've been on Zithromax a million times before and never had this happen. I was just dianosed with Lyme Disease though and I think it may have stirred things up just like Ticker said. It's called a Herx. Have you been tested yet for Lyme Disease?

My anxiety has gotten better but some days it feels worse than others since I've taken Zithromax. I used to be able to go through an automatic carwash to wash my car and this last time, I jumped completely out because I was terrified. I am claustrophobic but it's never gotten this bad before and I've been through that car wash a million times. I had a little anxiety going through before but it never stopped me. Thank God I wasn't in all the way when I jumped out. They stopped the thing that pulls the cars in and the little guys went through for me. I was so embarrassed. I think I may need to get on antidepressants soon.

I hope you feel better soon Why don't you do some research on Lyme Disease. You will be surprised what you find.

Chantel

Closed Thread