It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Test results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
    datgrlstef
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

datgrlstef HB User
    Smile Test results

Back in March, I posted in a few different forums- listing all of my health history (practically, anyway!)- hoping to find out what the heck has been going on with me for the last several years. It was because of people leading me towards the direction of Lyme disease- here and elsewhere- that I found myself a LLMD, and got tested. Today I got the results of my Igenex tests, and found out I'm IgM positive (even + according to CDC standards).

18 kDa. ++
    22 kDa. -
    **23-25 kDa. +
    28 kDa. -
    30 kDa. +
    **31 kDa. +++
    **34 kDa. IND
    **39 kDa. +
    **41 kDa. +
    45 kDa. -
    58 kDa. +
    66 kDa. -
    73 kDa. -
    **83-93 kDa. +

I've already been on a month of 4,000 mgs/day of Amoxy, which is really kicking my butt- this and/or the Rx iron I'm on- it is KILLING my stomach. LOL Hopefully the scope I have on the 15th tells me something related to that. Who knows.. maybe it's Lyme related? I also have 3 nodules on my thyroid, but the tests the LLMD ran show nothing out of the ordinary. Makes ya wonder! LOL All I know is that this LLMD has been more straight forward about my health than any other dr thus far. He's great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2007, 08:09 PM   #2
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Re: Test results

Hi datgrlstef. Below is the breakdown of the Western Blot bands:

9 cross-reactive for Borrellia
    12 specific for Bb
    18 unknown
    20 cross-reactive for Borrellia
    21 unknown
    22 specific for Bb, probably really the 23/25 band
    23-25 outer surface protein C (OspC), specific for Bb
    28 unknown
    30 unknown; probably an outer surface protein; common in European and
    one California strain
    31 outer surface protein A (OspA), specific for Bb
    34 outer surface protein B (OspB); specific for Bb
    35 specific for Bb
    37 specific for Bb
    38 cross-reactive for Bb
    39 is a major protein of Bb flagellin; specific for Bb
    41 flagellin protein of all spirochetes; this is usually the first to appear after a Bb infection and is specific for all Borrellia
    45 cross-reactive for all Borellia (sometimes people with Lyme who have
    this band positive also have the co-infection Ehrlichiosis)
    50 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
    55 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
    57 cross-reactive for all Borrellia
    58 unknown but may be a heat-shock Bb protein
    60 cross reactive for all Borrellia
    66 cross-reactive for all Borrelia, common in all bacteria
    83 specific antigen for the Lyme bacterium, probably a cytoplasmic membrane
    93 unknown, probably the same protein in band 83, just migrates differently in some patients

Band 41 is often the first to show, and yours is positive. Bands 23-25, 31, 34, and 39 are Lyme specific bands and yours are either postive or IND. It is good you are getting treated. Were you tested for all the co-infections?

Regarding your thyroid, do you have a copy of your results? Were the thyroid antiobody tests run? If you need help interpreting your results, I can try to help and the people on the thyroid board at this site are great. Some people, including myself, have Lyme and a thyroid disorder. It is important to get the proper tests done.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
    sarah92202
    Veteran
    (female)

sarah92202 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by datgrlstef View Post
    Back in March, I posted in a few different forums- listing all of my health history (practically, anyway!)- hoping to find out what the heck has been going on with me for the last several years. It was because of people leading me towards the direction of Lyme disease- here and elsewhere- that I found myself a LLMD, and got tested. Today I got the results of my Igenex tests, and found out I'm IgM positive (even + according to CDC standards).

18 kDa. ++
    22 kDa. -
    **23-25 kDa. +
    28 kDa. -
    30 kDa. +
    **31 kDa. +++
    **34 kDa. IND
    **39 kDa. +
    **41 kDa. +
    45 kDa. -
    58 kDa. +
    66 kDa. -
    73 kDa. -
    **83-93 kDa. +

I've already been on a month of 4,000 mgs/day of Amoxy, which is really kicking my butt- this and/or the Rx iron I'm on- it is KILLING my stomach. LOL Hopefully the scope I have on the 15th tells me something related to that. Who knows.. maybe it's Lyme related? I also have 3 nodules on my thyroid, but the tests the LLMD ran show nothing out of the ordinary. Makes ya wonder! LOL All I know is that this LLMD has been more straight forward about my health than any other dr thus far. He's great.
    Stef, I am glad that you finally found out what is wrong with you, but also sorry to hear that it is Lyme. I also wanted to mention to you that lyme can be passed on to your children while you are pregnant and alot of the children are born Autistic. Is it possible that you had lyme while you were pregnant with your son? If this is a possibility it is very important that you get him tested also. Did you discuss this with your LLMD? What other ABX's is the LLMD putting you on? Sarah

Old 06-08-2007, 06:07 AM   #4
    datgrlstef
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

datgrlstef HB User

My husband and I both think I was (originally anyway) exposed before he and I even got married.. and possibly re-exposed later, but I'm not sure. My test results from Igenex state "Igenex IGM results", being positive.. but don't say anything specifically about IGG, which is what confused me- although I read on the Igenex website that it's possible I could have a persistent infection, going back for some time. We both agree we want to have our kids tested- especially our son. I didn't discuss it/my son yesterday, but had mentioned at my first visit that he has Autism. The Dr didn't say anything about a possible connection, but I'm hoping I can ask him to let me order the blood test for both kids, and have the results sent to him so I can find out.. then see where to go from there. It's either that or did what another mom did- take her positive results to her kids' pediatrician, and force them to test the kids. This ped. didn't even suspect my son had Autism, so i'm not sure how well this news would be taken LOL

As for my thyroid, I believe the doctor said the only test he didn't do was the Thyroid antibody. Everything else was normal (not elevated at all), but I didn't ask for the results from that. I can get them, but I'm seeing the endocrinologist at the end of the month, to look at my nodules anyway. So I'm sure that he would order the necessary tests.

I'm currently just on amoxicillin, 500mg/ 2 pills, 4x a day. The LLMD said I could do 1 of 3 things, depending- switch meds, stick with this one for now since it seems to be working (my heart palpitations have disappeared), or if I wanted, do nothing. Knowing I have Lyme, it would be silly to do nothing.. and I'm sure my issues would only get worse. So at this point, I'll do the amoxy. I have to go in once a month in order to get my abx anyway, and every other month my liver and kidney functions are tested.. so it should be easy enough to get new abx if necessary. Also, I was not tested for any co-infections at this point.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:19 AM   #5
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi datgrlstef. It is very important to be tested for all the co-infections. Many Lyme doctors believe the co-infections need to be treated first for Lyme treatment to be effective. This was true in my case. I highly recommend talking with your doctor about this or getting another opinion.

The best Lyme pediatrician in the country is Dr. Charles Ray Jones in New Haven, CT. He knows a lot about congenital Lyme. He sees patients from all over, and he has helped many children. I reocommend calling his office. Maybe he could consult with your pediatrician.

Regarding the thyroid, I suggest asking to have the Free T3, Free T4 (besides the T3 and T4) and thyroid antibodies tested in addition to the normal panel. They are not usually done but are necessary for a comprehensive view. If you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which is an auto-immune type of hypothyroidism, you can have normal results but positive antibodies.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:34 AM   #6
    datgrlstef
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

datgrlstef HB User

I'm really curious to know more about this band 30, which you said is common in European and one California strain. I am from California, and feel that if I didn't get this back in 1987 when I was bit (while vacationing in Pennsylvania), then I most likely got it when I was living in northern CA, between 1996-1998. (Or I suppose I could have gotten it before that.. )

Next time I see the dr, I'll ask about co-infections. I can barely afford my other medical bills as it is.. I can't afford to pay out for more Igenex tests right now. LOL

Old 06-08-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
    sarah92202
    Veteran
    (female)

sarah92202 HB User

Stef, Hope your day is going OK! Since you feel that you have had the Lyme before you had your children I would definately get them tested. Especially your son with Autism. It was Dr. Jones who explained all the info about children with Austism to me when I took my son to see him last Oct. I wanted to make sure that I had not passed the Lyme onto my son. But that was ruled out, by my son's history. He did not have any health or learning problems until he was 8, before that he was in the gifted program and played in nurmorous select sports. I know that I contracted Lyme the first time when in Wa ST. in 1989, but I ws put on ABX's for a month, I never felt completely well after that, but didn't know anything about Lyme, now I suspect that possibly the ABX's helped the Lyme, but I am now being tested for WA-1 Babesia, which is specific to the west coast. My LLMD tested for all co-infections, but because I live in Texas, he only tested for the standard co-infections and Lonstari. I think that I have had the Wa-1 Babesia since I was first infected. then I was again infected in Aug. 1997 in Texas. If it is possible that you were infected in California you need to have the West Coast co-infection Panel done also. Dr. Jones consulted with my sons pedi. He is a Wonderful doctor who will do whatever he can to help other doc's to get a proper diag. for children. My sons pedi had no idea how to read the Igenex bands and when they arrived he immediately called Dr. Jones to interpret. then they discussed a treatment plan, until I could get my son into see Dr. Jones, which to our great surprise only ended up being 5 days. It is expensive to do all of this, but it is so very important for your health and for your childrens. I have 1000's of dollars worth of credit card debt from all the testing and traveling, but I know what is wrong with myself and my son now and am working on getting us better. Credit Card companies take monthly payments, and other than Igenex the other labs used, Quest, MDL, and L**C*** bill your ins. and then they will take payments. I had $14,000 worth of out of pocket medical from Oct-Dec. That didn't include traveling from Texas to CT. I am paying it off little by little every month. We go without and there are months that I have to pay the monthly medical payments with the credit cards and the bills just keep on coming, but we are alive and working towards a recovery. No amount of money is worth your health or your life, or your kids for that matter. Good luck with everything, and keep us informed of what is going on. also, you should be taking some type of cyst-form drug with the amox. Such as Flagyl, Plaquenil, tinidazole. The Amox. alone is not able to kill off the lyme that has went into cyst-form, normally LLMD's prescribe both types of meds to work together. Ask him about this the next time you see him. Sincerely, Sarah

Closed Thread