It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• what abx for muscle twitching should I take ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-01-2007, 06:14 AM   #1
    stasis4

stasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB User
    what abx for muscle twitching should I take ?

I had lyme for 1 & 1/2 yrs before I finally received treatment from an LLMD.
    Now after 1 and 1/2 years almost of antibiotics , I just have one symptom left : muscle twitching all over my body several times a day ....

I am currently taking Omnicef (cefdinir) , probenecid, and minocycline ..have been taking these for more than 2 weeks now but the symptom stays the same..no reduction. During my 1 and 1/2 years of antibiotic treatment I have taken plenty of doxycillin, amoxycillin, plaquenil, zithromax, tinidazole (tindamax), biaxin (clarithromycin) and mepron......

thus I have taken the following classes of abx : macrolids, tetracyclins, penicilins (i think) and 3rd generation cephalosporins..but this symptom stays..

what shud i take now ?

If anybody has had experience with this specific symptom and they were able to resolve it, I wud really like to know which antibiotic helped.....

I am currently overseas so am not in touch with my LLMD. But medicine and healthcare is much cheaper in this country with no health insurance issues either ..should I get intravenous done ? Maybe abx thru i.v will penetrate the tissue better..
    if so, for how long is i.v recommended ?

any suggestions, info etc wud really be appreciated.
    thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2007, 06:57 AM   #2
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Re: what abx for muscle twitching should I take ?

Hi Lyme disease can cause twitching, but so can a magnesium deficiency. I suggest having your magnesium levels checked, you may benefit from adding some.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-20-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #3
    stasis4

Hello Ticker : thankyou for responding. Actually I have already gotten my magnesium levels checked and they are normal......I feel firmly this is a residual lyme symptom and that the abx have not effectively penetrated this one part of the CNS system that relates to the muscle twitching.....

I don't want to do abx intravenously and I know of people who have recovered from serious CNS symptoms fully just by taking abx orally...
    i just don't know which ones to take at this stage....

I read somewhere that doxy and minocycline penetrate CNS tissues very well. I will take these along with plaquenil (to keep them in the blood longer)....and see if it makes more of a difference.

In the meantime if anyone has a similar experience with this symptom........thanx.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi nppuzzled. I know Plaqunil is often prescribed with Biaxin to make it more effective, but I don't know if that is true witn the cycline class drugs. I have never heard of them being prescribed together.

Minocycline can be very beneficial for some people. It could be that you just need to switch meds.

Have you ever taken a cyst-buster like Flagyl or Tinidazole?

Old 07-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
    ktp812
    Inactive
    (female)

ktp812 HB User

I had Lyme for 2 years before starting treatment. Muscle twitching is one of my remaining symptoms. It was one of my first also. I only have it now in my left calf but it is bascially non stop. I am on amox/probenecid and ketek. I was just tested for co-infections and am waiting for those results. My doctor is leaning towards IV at this point. My magnesium levels were fine too but I am still taking a supplement. It seems to make no difference. I will let you know what my doctor decides to do when I see him later in the month.
    Kim

Old 07-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #6
    cjFTWORTH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cjFTWORTH HB User

Muscle twitching can also occur when the adrenal glands or thyroid glands are out of balance. And the endoctrine system is often affected by lyme, so other organs and their corresponding hormones can be involved as well, not just the thyroid and adrenals.

That is one of the problems with lyme, the great immitator... It can and does create all types of symtoms (the ones that come and go with abx treatment). It also affects other organs, creates secondary illnesses...

cj

Last edited by cjFTWORTH; 07-04-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
    goosefraba
    (male)

goosefraba HB User

hey friend,
    you might look into a B-complex vitamin.
    read "healing lyme."
    there's a whole section there on what to take for muscle twitching.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi goosefraba, welcome to the board!

Do you have Lyme disease?

Old 07-03-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
    ryebeach
    (female)

ryebeach HB User

Hi
    I have also had severe muscle twitching and the muscle in the back of my calve of my leg feels like it toatally collapses sometimes this is starting to get better and less frequent I have been on rocephin 2 mg a day for about 6 weeks and 2 mg four times a week prior to that for about 5 months I am still improving but it is a slow process I am still very tired after any sort of regular daily routines seems like I have energy for a few days then crash but can stay awake longer now than before It seems like I plateau for a awhile then get a little better then plateau again but still making progress I wish you luck in your progress with the lyme keep us posted
    ryebeach

Last edited by Administrator; 08-20-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:14 AM   #10
    ktp812
    Inactive
    (female)

ktp812 HB User

hi ryebeach

I feel like you do. I get a little better and then plateau and don't feel as though I am making any more progress. How is the IV going? I think that is going to be my next step. I was just tested for co-infections and are waiting for those results. I think the oral abx have done all they can for me. I see the doctor in 2 weeks. I am just wondering if IV would be the best thing to do at this point. I know I should try everything but it seems like such a big step. Are you on any other abx? My CD-57 came back really low again after 8 months on abx. If you have a chance I would love to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks
    Kim

Old 07-04-2007, 05:56 PM   #11
    ryebeach
    (female)

ryebeach HB User

HI KPT12
    It has been along time since I spoke to you I am sorry to hear you are not doing much better The Iv is a big step but the results of untreated or poorly treated lyme lyme is even worse it depends on your symptons I was on the oral abx for about 4-5 months then Mine went into the neurological and there did not seem to be much choice but to hit it with everything I could I certainly didn't want to wind up long term the way I was so it paid off to take the chance You get used to the picc line A friend of mine daughter also had to go with the Iv Rocephin fo 7 months and is doing much better now I have been on the rocephin and have made progress boy was I a mess before I did it I also take plaquinal for the joint swelling and it kind of takes care of the babesis for the time being until I finish with the rocephin then I will take mepron for the babesis the co infection You can't take both at once My cd-57 went up from 60 to 95 taking b-complex milk thistle magnesium vitamin c and a multi vitamin and b-12 all to boost your immune system Never in my life would I have takien a vitamin also a probiotic which works wonders My mind is much clearer except my short term memory stinks Still having the sweats and joint pain but much better than before with the herxing not so severe Bad idigestion today though This seems to come and go the last month or so By the way did you ever hook up with the support group ? Keep in touch I also have an appoint in 2 weeks to see the doc on the 11th so good luck with your appointment
    Take care
    Ryebeach

Old 07-05-2007, 04:47 AM   #12
    ktp812
    Inactive
    (female)

ktp812 HB User

Ryebeach
    Thanks for the information. I am taking all the supplements you listed. I also have AI and thyroid issues so I am on medications for those too. I just feel that at 8 months I should be feeling much better. The fact that my CD-57 is still really low makes me feel that I need something else. I am not sure he will treat me for co-infections if they come back negative. I still have the same symptoms that seem to linger on. Fatigue being the worse all the time. I am still trying to hang onto my job but it is hard. I hope you continue to improve with the IV. I was told he would put a port in my chest instead of the arm picc line. I guess that is what he prefers. Anyway, I won't know anything for a few weeks and will let you know what happens. I never got together with a support group. I haven't really looked into it.
    In fact there was a story in our newspaper about how rare Lyme is around here! Yeah right in NH..I laughed at the story it was so inaccurate. Take care.

Kim

Old 07-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #13
    stasis4

Hello folks,
    hope u all start feeling better very soon.........

this is about the muscle twitching once again.......actually I am beginning to wonder whether this may not be a magnesium deficiency and nothing else at this stage of my treatment.....

I don't have any more symptoms..THANKGOD ...just the twitching that does not seem to be affected by oral antibiotics anymore.......

Ofcourse this may be taken no more seriously than with a pinch of salt as far as credibility goes, but I came across several stories on the web where ppl with lyme were in the end were often left with the muscle twitching symptom and that it was a magenium deficiency caused by the bacteria. It said it was intracellular so that the deficiency would not show up on a blood test.....

I just don't know what to do..now that I am in another country, my LLMd has not returned my two calls to him from overseas.

How do i figure out if this is a magnesium deficiency or a symptom of remaining infection. I don't want to risk taking antibiotics when there might be no infection since I think i am already getting side effects from taking so much of this medication.

Any thoughts on this will be much appreciated. thanks.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #14
    Petesmom24
    (female)

Petesmom24 HB User

I hesitate to suggest prescription meds since I'm not a doctor, but the treatment that has helped me MOST with neuro symptoms is cholestyramine. It is approved for reducing cholesterol, although apparently it is not terribly effective for that use. I think muscle twitching may be a neurological symptom because when nerve fibers become demyelinated (sp?) they act like a shorted out electrical wire and carry the electrical nerve impulses when they shouldn't.

The way I understand it, Lyme organizms (at least the spirochetes, and possibly the cyst and cell wall deficient forms) produce neurotoxins as they die. The neurotoxins get taken up and excreted in the gut, but instead of being eliminated they get re-absorbed to circulate again. As a result, neurologic symptoms can continue long after all trace of the disease organisms are gone. Cholestyramine is a resin that binds with the neurotoxins in the gut and carries them out of your body.

I had eye twitching, facial nerve paralysis, numbness and tingling in hands and feet, severe problems with brain fog, concentration and word retrieval, and severe fatigue. The first relief I felt was the fatigue, then the facial paralysis, and over the last 6 weeks everything else has been improving. I actually have hope that I will fully recover eventually.

The biggest side effect that I'm aware of is that the medication CAN cause constipation. But since I was on various oral antibiotics for 8-10 months, then IV rocephin for a month, then IV zithromax for 2 months, and now both zithro and rocephin IV (whew!) constipation is not one of my problems.

If your doctor thinks it would be helpful for your case, I hope you see improvement in your symptoms!

Old 07-08-2007, 12:30 PM   #15
    ktp812
    Inactive
    (female)

ktp812 HB User

petesmom24

I have severe fatigue also. Did the oral abx help you with that symptom? I have days where I can barely function and others where it isn't as bad. I have been on abx for 8 months and the fatigue is the worse for me. Last month the doctor said if I didn't have improvement by this month then I would go on IV. I am willing to try them in order to have some relief. I think the oral abx has helped some but for me there hasn't been enough improvement in 8 months. Thanks
    Kim

Closed Thread