It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• My appt today with Doctor Raxlen

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-19-2007, 08:58 AM   #16
    itsmylife
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

itsmylife HB User
    Re: My appt today with Doctor Raxlen

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ticker View Post
    Hi Rodney. Mepron is a liquid. Let me warn you, it is very goopy and the color of yellow construction paint! You take it by the teaspoon--usually 2 or 3 daily. Most pharmacies do not have it and need to order it, so make sure you give them several days to get it before you run out. You can get it in a bottle or in individual serving packets.

The line insertion is usually not painful. You will feel the stick. It usually only takes a few minutes and the tech will likely x-ray it to make sure it is properly placed. The most important thing about IV is to keep the line clean and dry at all time. An infection can be deadly. If you ever have any question about the way the site looks, call your nurse or doctor immediately.
    ok, thanks ticker. I dont know if I should just start taking all the meds on monday together or gradually work into them. I should probably call the doctors office.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2007, 11:15 AM   #17
    Smyle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Smyle HB User

Hi It's My Life-

I am so glad that you had a great visit and that you are on your way to health. I would call about when to start everything. The Mepron needs to be taken with the Zithromax or the Babesia have been shown to become resistant to the Mepron. It might be a good idea not to start it all at once, that way if you react to something you'll have a better handle on what it is that caused the reaction, but that is entirely up to your Dr.

I am on Merpon/Zithromax myself. It is not an easy combo and when I added Artemisinin it has gotten even harder, but hang in there.

Keep posting and letting us know how you're doing

Smyle

Last edited by Smyle; 07-19-2007 at 11:16 AM.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #18
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Yes, call the doctor and see how he wants you to take them.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:19 PM   #19
    itsmylife
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

itsmylife HB User

BTW, here is the supplement part of the program-

Quantity Product
    Code Product Description Price Product
    Total
    CORDY Cordyceps Sinensis-MRL 500 mg 90 tabs $30.00 $60.00
    ARTE4 Artemisinin 100 mg 90 caps $39.00 $78.00
    FLOR4 Florastor Extra Strength 250 mg 50 caps $39.95 $79.90
    CO138 CoQmelt 100 mg 28 tablets $32.00 $96.00
    ENADA Co-E1 2.5 mg 30 tabs $15.45 $61.80

Old 07-19-2007, 12:24 PM   #20
    itsmylife
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

itsmylife HB User

Ticker, I was wondering if you feel your Lyme and Coinfections are in a "remission" stage at this point in your life. Are you still suffering with any symptoms...

Old 07-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #21
    J0J0
    Inactive

J0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB User

Rodney I'm curious...Have your children been tested for Lyme? Do they show "any" signs of it?

I read your Mom had Lyme...how long did she have it? Sure she can uderstand some of what you are going through.

Hope your having a good day!

Old 07-19-2007, 06:53 PM   #22
    itsmylife
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

itsmylife HB User

Hi Jo. I was infected in 1982, my mom was in 1985 and my father was also infected, it's difficult to remember I think he was infected in 86 or 87. My mother had the Bells Palsy symptoms. I was a teen then and not around much. Her Acute symptoms lasted a few weeks I think, but then she started to have gradual health problems like the rest of us. In her case, she suffered a lot of bone degeneration, especially in the back. My father later developed breathing difficulty. He has suffered with a lot of neuro symptoms, difficulty with fluid sentences, word retrieval...etc
    Yes, my mother is very, very supportive. She is a big reason why I am still around.
    I have not seen any signs of symptoms with my kids or former wife. I do think about it from time to time. If my former wife had it, then I think I would be more concerned. I've always thought as long as the spirokete is unable to get into the egg during fertilization, we would be safe. But that is a subject I admit to knowing very little about.
    So, I'm happy to answer no, no signs with the kids and I make sure they have insect spray if they are going to be outside at dusk.

How are you feeling lately?

Last edited by itsmylife; 07-19-2007 at 06:58 PM.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:39 AM   #23
    Kelly5907
    (female)

Kelly5907 HB User

Rodney... I know it was your first time meeting with Dr. Raxlen.. I was just curious if he took any blood or just diagnosed you by your symptoms?... I have a appointment with him on August 1st.. Thank you for your story.. It put me at ease..

Kelly

Old 07-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #24
    itsmylife
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

itsmylife HB User

Kelly he diagnosed me on the spot with Babesia. He did draw blood on site that day to send out to a lab to confirm. They also drew blood to send out for confirmation of other things.
    He is a very good man and glad to hear you will be in for a visit so soon.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:37 PM   #25
    itsmylife
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

itsmylife HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smyle View Post
    Hi It's My Life-

I am so glad that you had a great visit and that you are on your way to health. I would call about when to start everything. The Mepron needs to be taken with the Zithromax or the Babesia have been shown to become resistant to the Mepron. It might be a good idea not to start it all at once, that way if you react to something you'll have a better handle on what it is that caused the reaction, but that is entirely up to your Dr.

I am on Merpon/Zithromax myself. It is not an easy combo and when I added Artemisinin it has gotten even harder, but hang in there.

Keep posting and letting us know how you're doing

Smyle
    Smyle, do you feel you are recovering on this protocol

Old 07-21-2007, 05:26 AM   #26
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Rodney. I am still being treated for Lyme and HGE. I am going to be retested for Ehrlichiosis at my next appointment and hope it will be negative.

I had a severe case of Babesiosis and had to treat it more than once, but it is finally gone! I also had Mycoplasma, both types of Ehrlichiosis, and Lyme.

For me, eradicating the Babesiosis and taking the cyst-buster Tinidazole with Minocycline have helped a lot.

I also developed Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, a type of auto-immune hypothyroidism. I knew for years that I had a thyroid problem and I was repeatedly told my tests were normal. Finally a docor ran the antibody tests, and they were extremely elevated. Some people who have Hashimoto's have normal tests but have elevated antibodies. Treatment is warranted when antibodies are present.

Thyroid disorders can also cause many symtpoms. I recommend that people who have Lyme get thyroid testing done. Tests to request are the Free T3, Free T4, and thyroid antibodies. They are not usually done but are necessary for a comprehensive view. Lyme can affect the hormones.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #27
    Bearygood
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bearygood HB UserBearygood HB User

Thanks for sharing your story, Rodney. I found it very interesting, especially to find out that Dr. Raxlen did muscle testing! I'm only sorry I didn't know about your appointment beforehand, so I could have helped make your initial landing in my fine city a little less painful but I'm glad the pedicab experience helped diffuse that. Don't know if Amtrak is a convenient option for you but it's easier to get to the upper west side from there. Let me know if you need any more specific transportation tips for your next visit and regardless, good luck to you! I hope your treatment goes smoothly and that you continue to feel better.

Last edited by Bearygood; 07-21-2007 at 09:28 AM.

Old 07-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #28
    Kelly5907
    (female)

Kelly5907 HB User

Rodney... How long did Dr. Raxlen say it would be before you recieved your blood results?? I heard that he wont give you your results over the phone.. You have to get your results in person and it could sometimes take up to 2 months for an appointment.. I dont want to wait another two months for my results, thats for sure..
    Kelly

Old 07-21-2007, 11:09 PM   #29
    itsmylife
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

itsmylife HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kelly5907 View Post
    Rodney... How long did Dr. Raxlen say it would be before you recieved your blood results?? I heard that he wont give you your results over the phone.. You have to get your results in person and it could sometimes take up to 2 months for an appointment.. I dont want to wait another two months for my results, thats for sure..
    Kelly
    Kelly, we actually did not discuss that. I felt since he was willing to treat Babesia based on symptoms, it really didn't matter to me if I need to wait until my next six week appt.
    I was able to present him with a recent positive Lyme western blot for six IGG bands and two IGM.

I can say he was very kind, his wife can also handle questions if you call in...I would call and talk to Mrs. Raxlen and be open about your feelings. I'm sure something can be worked out. I might call on a Thursday or Friday, that way they are not so busy and stressed.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:12 PM   #30
    itsmylife
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

itsmylife HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ticker View Post
    Hi Rodney. I am still being treated for Lyme and HGE. I am going to be retested for Ehrlichiosis at my next appointment and hope it will be negative.

I had a severe case of Babesiosis and had to treat it more than once, but it is finally gone! I also had Mycoplasma, both types of Ehrlichiosis, and Lyme.

For me, eradicating the Babesiosis and taking the cyst-buster Tinidazole with Minocycline have helped a lot.

I also developed Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, a type of auto-immune hypothyroidism. I knew for years that I had a thyroid problem and I was repeatedly told my tests were normal. Finally a docor ran the antibody tests, and they were extremely elevated. Some people who have Hashimoto's have normal tests but have elevated antibodies. Treatment is warranted when antibodies are present.

Thyroid disorders can also cause many symtpoms. I recommend that people who have Lyme get thyroid testing done. Tests to request are the Free T3, Free T4, and thyroid antibodies. They are not usually done but are necessary for a comprehensive view. Lyme can affect the hormones.
    Ticker, would you say you have a high quality of life back?

Closed Thread

Tags
    biaxin, ceftin, cipro, flagyl, minocycline, omnicef, requip