It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Is Lyme Sexually Transmitted?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-28-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
    IL_gal
    (female)

IL_gal HB User
    Is Lyme Sexually Transmitted?

I was bit June 2nd and started doxy on June 12th. My symptoms started after the first week. However my boyfriend is just starting to get sick now...fever, sore throat, fatique, agitation, memory issues, unrelenting muscle twitching... He took a test in June but it was negative. He was with me when I got bit by the tick at the deer farm but he never had the telltale rash like me. Could he have contracted it sexually?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2007, 05:30 AM   #2
    Bill S
    Inactive
    (male)

Bill S HB User
    Re: Is Lyme Sexually Transmitted?

Lyme apparently has been found in all body fluids. My wife was recently tested (I have had Lymes for 3 years) and we found one positive band and a couple indeterminate bands. She's been exposed but so far seems to be fighting it off. She shows no symptoms YET.

We have an appt with my Lyme doc shortly to see how he wants to treat her. Complicating matters is that we just found out a few days ago that she's pregnant...

The CDC says no, you can't get it from another person, but realistically, it's going to be very hard to do a study like that. I can't see them getting a couple together, one person who has Lymes, one who doesn't. Test the one person to make sure there are NO lyme antibodies, put them in a plastic room for a few months (to make sure they don't get bit by a tick in the meantime, skewing the results), have some of them kiss only, some of them only have unprotected sex only - no kissing (risking pregnancy), and a control group doing neither). Never happen, yet it's about the only way to prove the matter one way or the other.

There's lots of people who anecdotally say that their spouse got it from them, and you can now add me to the list.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Rachel. From what I understand, some Lyme doctors believe Lyme can be sexually transmitted but it has not been proven. Some believe multiple family members are infected because they are together where the infected ticks are. Lyme can be passed through pregnancy and breastfeeding.

I would advise practicing safe sex.

Your boyfriend should be evaluated by a Lyme doctor.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:09 AM   #4
    fernee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

fernee HB Userfernee HB User

Hi Rachel,

Me again, Dr. Singleton was the first to tell me that it is believed to be sexually transmitted. That scares the hell out of me because you just never know. My husband does have a lot of the same symptoms as me and has for a long time. Sometimes we try and go back and see who had what symptoms and when but too hard plus my brain does not work like that at the moment. He was tested through the standard lyme western blot and it came back negative. Dr. Singleton said once we get situated and my treatment is rolling he can test my husband without seeing him and if it comes back positive then he would have to see him for treatment.

I am also going to have my daughter retested. She has many of the symptoms plus has Juvenile Diabetes and was diagnosed with Rheumatory arthritis almost 2 years ago. He is going to test her once we get back. I guess that will help in a way of figuring out if it is sexually for us. If she is positive then I know it is just because we lived in a heavily tick infested area. My dog also has it. Otherwise the guilt will be with me forever.

We also practice safe sex now. A little on the weird side since we have been together for 18 years and starting it over but whatever it takes.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:33 AM   #5
    3love
    Veteran
    (female)

3love HB User

Just wanted to add that my husband has had symptoms for maybe 12 years (thinks it's normal) and now I have many of the symptoms he has. When I say I have such and such symptoms, he says to me, oh that's normal I have that too. He has been suffering terrible headaches for years, so I literally forced him to get an mri which came back normal. He told me that his mri was normal so you see nothing is wrong with me! He is soooo stubborn.
    He has many of the symptoms including extreme sensitivity to chemicals. He put down weed control and after he was so sick. He refuses to go see a LLMD! I told him if he won't I will, if I do have it, I will not stop nagging him until he gets checked out! What scares me now is my 7 year old complains of some neuro stuff and my 3 year old complains of stomache aches and eye pain. Thinking back, four years ago I started having terrible stomach pains, knee problems, pain in my left rib, tinggling etc nothing ever really alarming until 7 months ago when I suddenly had this explosive diahrea (sorry) and I was bed ridden with no energy. since then I have had one neuro symptom after the other!

J

Old 07-29-2007, 09:32 AM   #6
    sarah92202
    Veteran
    (female)

sarah92202 HB User

Rachel, my husband and I are going through this debate right now. I contracted Lyme 10 years ago, but was not diag. until last Oct. I have only been married to my current husband for 2 1/2 years. When we went to see my LLMD in January (DR. Phillips) my husband asked him if it was sexually transmitted and DR. P said yes. My husband also asked Dr. Jones and he said yes. Well yes I understand the problem with proving this. My new husband just tested positive for Lyme last Friday. But my new husband and I were not in the same area that I contracted Lyme, and he has not been to that area. I moved here a year after I contracted it. By his pos. bands one doctor has concluded that he has had it at least a year. So did I give it to him? He believes that I did. My ex husband also has many symptoms of Lyme (but refuses to be tested), and he had the menengitis when he was 13. We got married at 18. So did I actually contracted it from him and not from a tick? I thought it a very weird coincidence that being married we would both get menengitis 12 years apart. We live in S. Texas but my current husband is from CT, has he actually had it longer than the doc thinks, his sister in CT has Lyme. Did he get it while visiting family 4 years ago. I had never been to CT until last Oct. for my first LLMD appt. So I know I didn't get it from my current husband or CT. Who really knows! It is so frustrating. I don't know if anyone will ever figure it out. But I do know that it is found in blood, semen, saliva and breat milk, so how can it not be sexually transmitted. Dr. Jones said that he was treating a baby with Lyme that had been passed on to by the mother who has Lyme. The father was negative, but then he decided to drink her breast milk and is now positive for Lyme. And the confusion goes on!!! In the Aug. Public Health alert a doctor has said that you can keep passing it back and forth between each other and not get well if both partners have Lyme and one is not being treated. that may explain why my son( we are receiving the same meds, same doeses) has improved so much with treatment and I have not. My husband has Lyme and hasn't been treated, so has he been repeatedly reinfecting me? That is a good possibility. Good luck with this one, let's just assume that it can and try to be safe!! Please if you think that you have Lyme don't donate BLOOD, Sarah

Old 07-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
    IL_gal
    (female)

IL_gal HB User

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. We have been practicing safe sex since I started on the Doxy and will continue to do so until we've both been tested, treated, and cured. Do you think we should stop kissing as well?

Old 07-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Lyme disease cannot be transmitted through kissing.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #9
    KeyLyme
    Veteran
    (female)

KeyLyme HB User

This is a very interesting topic. I've wondered too if Lyme can be sexually transmitted. I always thought that could since Lyme bacteria are found in every area of the human body.

I'm going to start treatment in a couple of weeks. I think my husband and I will play it safe and use a barrier method. I don't want to get reinfected.

I'm also going to ask my husband to get tested w/ Igenex. Luckily, he's healthy as a horse. If he does infact carry Lyme as well, then we both need to be treated otherwise, we'll keep reinfecting each other.

Just my two cents...

Old 07-29-2007, 04:29 PM   #10
    Bill S
    Inactive
    (male)

Bill S HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ticker View Post
    Lyme disease cannot be transmitted through kissing.
    Considering that the spirochete has been found in saliva, I have to wonder...

Any documentation you have seen that states no you can't transmit it via saliva?

Old 07-29-2007, 06:07 PM   #11
    KeyLyme
    Veteran
    (female)

KeyLyme HB User

Well, they say that people can't contract HIV through kissing so I wonder if the same would be true for Lyme? I remember reading awhile ago that it's easier for a man to transmit HIV to a woman then vice-versa. There were some men who had intercourse w/ HIV positive women but the men never contracted it. I wonder if the same is true for Lyme.

Who knows...I agree that it would be very difficult to do a study on this b/c there are so many variables and environmental factors. All we can do is analyze our own situations.

Here's something I read about the subject:

The destruction arising from leaving undetected Lyme Disease untreated may be immediately evident or may occur in the near or distant future as is also true of its close cousin syphilis. Yes, Lyme Disease can be spread venereally and in several other ways. So a "bite" may never have occurred and the classic "erythema migrans" rash may never be observed.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:35 PM   #12
    IL_gal
    (female)

IL_gal HB User

Just got my boyfriend's test results today. His western blot is positive. So Yes, I seriously think Lyme is sexually transmitted!

Old 08-21-2007, 09:36 PM   #13
    TINUVIEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TINUVIEL HB User

Hi,

This is one of those areas which would be really difficult to research. According to the CDC, there has never been a "proven" case of sexual transmission in humans.

In other words, an un-infected spouse may become infected but unless they can prove that there is absolutely zero chance of a tick bite they are going to say it is not "proven" sexual transmission.

And how would one go about absolutely proving that there was no tick bite and that sexual transmission was the only possiblilty? Quarantine someone in a sterile lab for several months while their infected spouse visits them?

An experiment was performed with a group of mice, infected males and uninfected females. At the conclusion of the study, the females had given birth to infected baby mice. So figure that one out.

I have known of quite a few cases in which one spouse had it and then the other had it. But I also have heard of people being infected and their spouse never got it or at least never had symptoms. So it's really hard to say. It is a spirochete as is syphilis, it has been found in every body fluid, so I'm inclined to think it best to err on the side of caution.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:41 AM   #14
    fernee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

fernee HB Userfernee HB User

Rachel,

Sorry to hear that your boyfriend is positive also. That is what I am afraid about with my husband and even though it does not matter, I am the type that will have guilt forever if I am the cause.

My daughter is still having some strange issues so she is going in Tuesday for another western blot to see how it turns out. I hope it comes back ok.

We are a recent report on the news here about how one county close by is having a lot of new cases and they are now calling it a "growing epidemic". Maybe people are really starting to take it seriously. Weird thing is I stopped in to see one of my old co-workers and she said her 4 year old tested positive for it and was treated right away when she had the rash. And her boyfriend had it. I told her the sexually tranmitted debate and she was shocked. I said you never know and now after being together for 18 years my husband & I are practicing safe sex so that should say something.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:59 AM   #15
    sarah92202
    Veteran
    (female)

sarah92202 HB User

My husband and I are going through the same ?'s. I have had it for 10 years, not diagnosed until last OCT. He has been feeling really bad for 8 months and experiencing Lyme symptoms, I finally talked him inot taking the IGeneX WB and he is IGM pos. CDC and IgeneX, which is proof of an earlier infection. Dr. Harris aid, probably a little over a year. Did he get it from me? Or from his job which requires him to work outside? Can't prove which is which, but, here is the kicker, both my son and I started treatment at the same time, same ABX"s, same doses. My son is 85% better, while I am worse than in Oct. And for the past 8 months or so when my husband and I have sex, I get red and inflammed (sorry) we have been together for 4 years and this didn't start happening until he started feeling bad. Coincidence? Maybe I haven't gotten better because he reinfects me when we have sex, because he wasn't being treated for Lyme. there are so many "what if's" you could drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out. who really knows. My husband has repeatedly in the last several years came home with bug bites and he did have a circular bite on his stomach last year, but he said it was a bruise from banging into a pipe, not a bite. It's all a BIG mystery, our wonderful disease!! I would just suggest that everyones spouse get tested if they have Lyme, just to make sure. Sarah

Closed Thread