It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Aspartame and Lyme

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2007, 06:18 PM   #1
    KeyLyme
    Veteran
    (female)

KeyLyme HB User
    Aspartame and Lyme

I had wondered if my recent severe allergy to aspartame is related to Lyme Disease. Anytime I drink or eat aspartame, I break into violent convulsions that last for hours. I'm perfectly conscious and aware the whole time so they ruled out a seizure disorder. Best for all Lymies to stay AWAY from aspartame.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-29-2007 at 09:22 PM. Reason: do not copy from the net, as per the posting policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
    itsmylife
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

itsmylife HB User
    Re: Aspartame and Lyme

Anything with Nutra Sweet used to make my sinuses close and I would feel dizzy and weak.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:35 AM   #3
    Bill S
    Inactive
    (male)

Bill S HB User

Considering that Aspartame breaks down into some pretty nasty chemicals in the body, I'm not suprised.

I used to drink alot of the stuff and started to get tingling in my hands, arms, feet and legs. After many tests, diabetes was ruled out...when I happened to not drink any diet drinks for a few days, the symptoms went away.

I now have to drink some diet stuff because of my dietary restrictions (no soy no dairy no sugar); try existing on nothing but water and tea - super boring.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:35 AM   #4
    bearsfan44
    (female)

bearsfan44 HB User

Hi everyone, what about splenda? Have any of you noticed the same symptoms with that?
    Lisa

Old 07-30-2007, 07:00 AM   #5
    KeyLyme
    Veteran
    (female)

KeyLyme HB User

In a nutshell, the article said Aspartame can cause Lyme disease and the Lyme treponema can cause the same hyperautoimmunicity and resultant hyperautoimmunity destructions that aspartame does. Also, aspartame can activate Lyme Disease in people who have the infection but are generally healthy. This particular doctor also said that Lyme can be transmitted sexually.

The article was REALLY long and involved. He gives proof of his findings from studies that were completed.

So, I'd say Lymies need to stay away from Aspartame. The only sweetner I don't have convulsions with is Saccharin and regular sugar. I have the same effects of aspartame disease if I injest nutrasweet and splenda. And thinking back, my Lyme didn't get really bad until the convulsions started.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
    IL_gal
    (female)

IL_gal HB User

Is Stevia and Z sweet okay? They are supposed to be all natural.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:18 AM   #7
    KeyLyme
    Veteran
    (female)

KeyLyme HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rachel38 View Post
    Is Stevia and Z sweet okay? They are supposed to be all natural.
    Yeah, Stevia is fine. I haven't had a reaction with it. I haven't tried z sweet yet.

Closed Thread