It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• tooth pain....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
    3love
    Veteran
    (female)

3love HB User
    tooth pain....

Hi~ Do any of you have tooth pain that is connected to lyme disease?
    I have been having weird tooth/jaw pain, feels like it is throbbing/zapping. The weird thing is it's in the area that I had a root canal.. I went to the dentist and he said that the tooth looks fine. A couple of times when I opened my mouth wide I got this electic like zapp in my jaw!

What gives?

Julia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
    MichiganLymie
    (female)

MichiganLymie HB User
    Re: tooth pain....

Dear Julie,
    Lyme Disease gave me severe TMJ and along with that terrible pain in my teeth. It is all on my left side and moves around. Some days it is so bad I can hardly stand it. I go to a chiropractor who works the muscles in my jaws (from the inside) which really helps. These muscles can refer pain to the teeth. Read "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies, NCTMB. It does a great job of illustrating what location certain muscles can refer pain to. I find that heat, motrin and the chiropractor help. I also wear a night bite splint which helps as well. Good luck and you are not alone!

Old 08-04-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
    sarah92202
    Veteran
    (female)

sarah92202 HB User

I had the same pain that you are describing, and when I would tilt my head to the right (right-side tooth) it would send a zapping pain through my gums and jaw. My dentist insisted that was impossible because I had a root canal, he said there were no roots that were living to cause pain. Eventually I just had him pull the tooth out and I no longer have the zapping pain. As for the Jaw pain, it never goes away. My ins. does not pay for TMJ treatments or night guards, but my sons does and he has a night guard and it has helped his neck and jaw pain tremendously. You can also massage the TMJ area yourself and put hot packs on the area. Good Luck, Sarah

Old 08-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
    adamace1
    Veteran
    (male)

adamace1 HB User

Sorry to ask a question in your post.

MichiganLymie Do you have a good ID doctor? If so i would like to get a new one to see what they say.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
    3love
    Veteran
    (female)

3love HB User

Sarah, it's funny you mentioned that your tooth pain was in the one that had the root canal...mine too! The throbbing pain is coming exactly from the root canaled tooth. I wonder why, if I no longer have any roots there, why am I getting pain? I took motrin and took some of the pain away but still can feel it!
    I hope this goes away soon, it is sure painful, I don't want to have to pull the tooth out after enduring 2 hours with my mouth cranked open

J

Old 08-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #6
    sarah92202
    Veteran
    (female)

sarah92202 HB User

I know what you mean, I dealt with the pain for weeks, and it was just to much to deal with, so I said just pull it out. he kept insisting that I couldn't possibly feel pain there, but I was for sure. I have had no problems with that area since. I had a porcelain tooth made for the area, I got a new dentist a few years ago that did a panaramic view x-ray after looking at my teeth and was surprised to find that the tooth didn't show up on the xray, he didn't even realize it was fake. Plus having a tooth pulled is so much less painful than having a root canal. But the fake teeth are not cheap. Mine finally fell out and I lost it, OOPS, can't afford to replace it. Luckily it was a molar and not a front tooth, LOL. I hope that your pain goes away, I can definately feel for you!! Sarah

Old 08-05-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
    lymesgal
    (female)

lymesgal HB User

Hello! I sympathize with you all and know exactly what you are going thru. I, myself, have had 8 root canals in the last 5 years, and one going bad so I had to extract it and get a post and porcelain tooth. My teeth just kept getting infected and the only thing we could do is give it a root canal. I have another one that we have been watching because it shows infection too but doesn't flair up all the time. And my tooth I had pulled still hurts sometimes and there is nothing there! I read somewhere that the lyme likes to get into your mouth and causes infections in your teeth and gums. This article said that there were alot of unecessary root canals because of it, but that is the only way to get rid of the pain and infection. What else can you do?? I have always taken care of my teeth, never had to wear braces, etc. and then when I got lyme my teeth just started wasting away! It has been soooo expensive! The pain gets so bad that not even viacodin's can take the pain away. One time I went to the emergency room it hurt so bad, blew my blood pressure way up and I was a mess. Knock on wood, its been about 6 months and nothing has gone wrong with my teeth lately...I so need a break from it all... I should do more research on lyme/dental problems, but I couldn't seem to find alot on it before??? Anyways, just make sure you have a good dentist....I have the best, we are such good friends now....we see each other too often, it's ridiculous! I wish you all healthy teeth!

Closed Thread