It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Picc line questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-15-2007, 11:40 AM   #1
    bigstan
    Inactive
    (male)

bigstan HB User
    Picc line questions

Hi everyone, I have a question about my picc line. I'm in my third week and starting to have a funny feeling in the arm. My pick is in my left arm. When I stretch, or now lift my arm 3/4 of the way up, I have to stop. I feel a pulling sensation or an irritation pain. It's kind of hard to explain. Like the picc line is to short and not allowing my arm to do certain movements. I feel this weird feeling in the underneath part of the arm. Or armpit area. I get a few stabbing sensations here and there in the arm also. This line was put in under fluoroscopy (xray), I assume it was done correctly. I just worry about a blood clot forming. Anybody ever have this feeling or can explain what a blood clot would feel like?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
    Tony64
    (male)

Tony64 HB User
    Re: Picc line questions

BigStan. To be on the safe side, I would go back to the doctor who inserted the PICC and have him/her check out the site. PICC lines are not to mess with, an infection can be detrimental. Be safe, let the doc. look at it and ask what to look for signs of infection and/or clots. I assume you're having a professional change dressing and look for those warnings signs weekly. Good luck.

The following user gives a hug of support to Tony64:
    K_Lana (03-05-2011)
    Old 08-15-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Stan. I totally agree with Tony. If there is ever any question about the line or site, call your doctor or nurse immediately.

Let us know what the doctor says okay?

Old 08-15-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
    bigstan
    Inactive
    (male)

bigstan HB User

Thank's Tony64 and Ticker,
    I called the hospital where it was put in and they want to look at it tomorrow. The nurse dosen't think it is a blood clot because she said I should have a constant throbbing pain. Also I can infuse with no problem. I only feel the weird pain sensation when I lift my arm past the half way point. The Picc is 49 cm or around 19 1/2 inches long. The nurse said this is plenty long enough, but it could be affecting a nerve in some way. So will see tomorrow and I'll let you know.

Last edited by bigstan; 08-15-2007 at 04:18 PM.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:04 PM   #5
    agm08001
    (male)

agm08001 HB User

Hi Stan - I had an odd feeling in the second week of having my PICC line in (left arm). It was a sore sensation in my left foreaarm. The nurses in charge of changing my dressing said it was nothing. Four days later it was worse and they told me to go to the emergency room. Turns out I had blood clots in my arm. They switched it to my right arm. I just had it taken out yesterday after almost 2 months. I had to take Coumadin because of the clots and my INR (blood) levels were all over the place. 6.1 at one point (and they are supposed to be in the 2-3 range). A very dangerous level (and I hadn't even taken it in over a week when it was drawn!). So, the line was taken out.

I still feel crappy. Don't know what to do next. I also got a letter from my old LLMD saying he is shutting down the practice in October to spend more time with his family. Geez, MA is a Lyme hot spot and there is no one for us to go see?!?!? Talk about discouraging (and I didn't think I could get more discouraged....)

Take care and God bless all,

Andy

Old 08-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
    bigstan
    Inactive
    (male)

bigstan HB User

Thank's Andy I remember reading your post of your blood clot. I am curious if the Rocephin has worked for you. Is that why you had the picc removed? Did you start orals?

Hope recovery is soon.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
    agm08001
    (male)

agm08001 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigstan View Post
    Thank's Andy I remember reading your post of your blood clot. I am curious if the Rocephin has worked for you. Is that why you had the picc removed? Did you start orals?

Hope recovery is soon.
    Hi Stan -

Unfortunately, it was my PCP who prescribed the IV abx and I don't think the dosage was very strong (I think it was 1 gram and most people I have seen had 4 grams/per). So, I haven't noticed anything so far. I have to figure out what to do next. My PCP isn't going to do any more abx and the LLMD I did see is closing his practice in October. So, I have to figure out what to do next. Next week I see a Neurologist at MGH (Mass General). Hopefully something will come of that but from what I have heard, it probably won't. I may see another LLMD, who knows. Have to see how badly I feel or if I can manage work again. Financially we are screwed....

Hope you PICC works wonders for you! As always, you all are in my prayers.

Take care and God bless, Andy

Old 08-16-2007, 09:12 AM   #8
    mctassi
    (female)

mctassi HB User

8001- who's your llmd in MA. I may have to go back to Ma. in search of a a llmd. Is it Dr. Sam Donta? Thanks for any info. mc

Closed Thread