It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Anyone know of a LLMD in Miami area?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2007, 11:04 PM   #1
    TheZim
    (male)

TheZim HB User
    Anyone know of a LLMD in Miami area?

Hello Everyone,

My 5 year old son was just diagnosed by our pediatrician with Lyme Disease...
    He has the classic bullseye on his thigh along with flu like symptoms and general discomfort. He started on a three week cycle of amoxocilan today. I've been doing a lot of research on the web today, and it sounds like finding a LLMD is the next important step...

Does anyone know of a LLMD in the Miami / South Florida area?

Thank you in advance,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #2
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Re: Anyone know of a LLMD in Miami area?

Hi TheZim, welcome to the board!

I am sorry your son has Lyme but it is good he has been diagnosed. How long do you think he has been sick? I think it is great that your son's pediatrician recognized the Lyme rash.

If he still has the rash, it is good to get photos of it. Place something near it, like a coin or ruler, before photographing to give it size definition. Then you have evidence of it if needed later.

From what I understand, an infection caught within two weeks of the bite should be treated with a minimum of six weeks of the proper dose antibiotic. The antibiotics kill the bacteria when they are reproducing, which is estimated at four weeks. Six weeks of treatment will cover one growth cycle. If symptoms are still present, further treatment is warranted. A longer infection needs longer treatment.

It sounds like his infection is early which is good. Early infections are the easiest to cure.

There is only one Lyme pediatrician in the country that I know of: Dr. Charles Ray Jones in New Haven, CT. I suggest calling his office for advice. Maybe he can consult with your son's pediatrician.

Besides Lyme, ticks can also transmit several co-infections including Babesiosis, two types of Ehrlichiosis (HME & HGE), Bartonella, and Mycoplasma. Many people who have Lyme are co-infected. It may affect treatment choice and progress. It is important to be tested for these by a Lyme reputable lab such as IgeneX in Palo Alto, CA.

It is also important to learn as much as possible. I recommend reading Dr. Joseph Burrascano's 2005 Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines For Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses (on-line). I also recommend the book "Everything You Need To Know About Lyme Disease (2nd edition)" by Karen Vanderhoof-Forschner.

It is great that you are researching to help you son. You are a good dad!

Last edited by ticker; 08-25-2007 at 07:42 AM.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
    TheZim
    (male)

TheZim HB User

Thanks Ticker,

I've read several of your posts from the past and was hoping you would reply... you seem very knowlegable on this subject.

I've read about the co-infectious critters that come along with the tick bites and also the possibility of some parasitic bugs... Do the antibiotics used to kill the bb bacteria also kill the other co-infections you mentioned, or do they require the use of something else?

We think my wife contracted this disease at the same time as my son (about three - four weeks ago in Tennesse). She also had a circular rash on her body... thought it was a spider bite, and never went to the doctor... She was in bad shape and in bed for about three days straight... read about some home remedy to put salt on the rash which extracted some small black object from the center of the rash a couple days later... now think that it might have been the ticks head?... So she's going to get started on antibiotics (precautionary) and get tested, as well.

My daughter (4) also got sick on this trip to Tennessee with high fever and headaches... we took her to a doctor in Knoxville and they put her on antibiotics for 8 days to combat what they thought was a UTI? No sign of any rash... which I now know is possible for there not to be one and still contract Lyme.

We were staying in the basement inlaw quarters of my Uncles house... very clean, but they had several dogs... so I'm sure there were ticks around. I was the only one to not get sick!... Do you think we should have my daughter tested, too, or am I being paranoid?

I'm sure with all the postings you've made, that you've discussed the salt / vitamin C treatment... My wife is contemplating trying it on herself... afraid to try it on the kids... what have you "and others" heard about it?

Thanks

Old 08-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #4
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi TheZim. I am sorry so many in your family are dealing with this! I live in TN, and there definitely is Lyme here (Lyme is in every state).

Although only 50% of people who have Lyme ever get a rash, a bulls-eye rash is a definite sign of Lyme. The rash alone merits treatment regardless of test results. If her rash comes back, it is good to get photos of it also.

Below is a Lyme symptom list. You can have any combination of symptoms.

Unexplained fevers, sweats, chills, or flushing
    Unexplained weight change--loss or gain
    Fatigue, tiredness, poor stamina
    Unexplained hair loss
    Swollen glands
    Sore throat
    Testicular pain/pelvic pain
    Unexplained menstrual irregularity
    Unexplained milk production: breast pain
    Irritable bladder or bladder dysfunction
    Sexual dysfunction or loss of libido
    Upset stomach
    Change in bowel function-constipation, diarrhea
    Chest pain or rib soreness
    Shortness of breath, cough
    Heart palpitations, pulse skips, heart block
    Any history of a heart murmur or valve prolapse?
    Joint pain or swelling
    Stiffness of the joints, neck, or back
    Muscle pain or cramps
    Twitching of the face or other muscles
    Headache
    Neck creeks and cracks, neck stiffness, neck pain
    Tingling, numbness, burning or stabbing sensations, shooting pains
    Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
    Eyes/Vision: double, blurry, increased floaters, light sensitivity
    Ears/Hearing: buzzing, ringing, ear pain, sound sensitivity
    lncreased motion sickness, vertigo, poor balance
    Lightheadedness, wooziness
    Tremor
    Confusion, difficulty in thinking
    Difficulty with concentration, reading
    Forgetfulness, poor short term memory
    Disorientation: getting lost, going to wrong places
    Difficulty with speech or writing
    Mood swings, irritability, depression
    Disturbed sleep-too much, too little, early awakening
    Exaggerated symptoms or worse hangover from alcohol

It is important that everyone is treated aggressively enough. Lyme needs more aggressive treatment than many other infections. I know of a Lyme doctor in Temple Terrace, FL (near Tampa). If you would like his name, let me know. You may want to check out any state support groups to see if there is a closer doctor who is knowledgeable.

No Lyme test is completely reliable, and results can vary by lab. It is my understanding that the ELISA or titer test is the least reliable test and the one most doctors run first. Having a bulls-eye rash merits treatment.

Many doctors do not understand these diseases and under-treat them. Sometimes people can keep the infection at bay for some time until their immune system becomes stressed (illness, accident, divorce, etc.). Then symptoms emerge. When the disease becomes disseminated, it is much harder to eradicate.

I cannot stress enough how important it is to receive proper treatment as early in the infection as possible. It is hard to imagine how serious and debilitating these diseases can be when untreated or under-treated. Early infections are the easiest to cure.

Yes, I think it would be a good idea for your daughter to be evaluated also. If your children's pediatrician is willing, maybe he/she could consult with Dr. Jones.

I am not familiar with the Vitamin C protocol, others may be. I would recommend using antibiotics in a new infection.

The co-infections may or may not be affected by Lyme treatment. Often Doxycyline is the first prescribed because it may be effective against Lyme and it is the best antibiotic for the Ehrlichiosis co-infections. It can also treat Mycoplama.

The co-infection Babesiosis is similar to malaria and needs to be treated with an anti-malarial (often Mepron) in conjunction with an antibiotic (Zithromax, Biaxin, Ketek). These antibiotics may also be effective for Lyme. I say they may be because each case is different. What works for one person may not work for another.

The co-infeciton Bartonella is usually treated with Levaquin or Rifampin. I do not think these are prescribed for Lyme disease.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
    TheZim
    (male)

TheZim HB User

Hello again Ticker,

You are a disk drive of information!

I will try to contact the Doctor you recommended on Monday. I noticed from reading another of your posts, that it takes about 3 weeks to get the results back from igenex. My son had his blood taken Friday... and I'm pretty sure it wasn't sent to igenex, and I doubt it will be tested for co-infection. Hopefully, I can intercept the samples and have them redirected on Monday.

You mention a regimen of 6 weeks of antibiotics to fully rid the body of this bacteria...

Any idea what impact those prolonged levels of treatment have on small children?... worries me a bit. I'm looking into some supplements such as acidopholus, antioxidants, etc. to help ease the burden on there little bodies.

Again... thank you very much for your input.

You may notice that I've started another post to find other parents with this same dilema... feel free to say hello there, as well!

Old 08-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi TheZim. I believe your concerns are valid; however, as someone who was not diagnosed right away I believe that any possible side effects of antibiotics pale in comparison to untreated tick-borne illnesses. I suggest calling the Lyme pediatrician's office to ask about possible ramifications. If I had a child who had a Lyme rash, there is no way I would not have him treated.

Taking acidophilus can be very beneficial, but make sure it is taken at least two hours apart from the antibiotics.

Let us know what the doctor says. Good luck!

Old 08-25-2007, 09:54 PM   #7
    TheZim
    (male)

TheZim HB User

Thanks Ticker,

you're the best... will let you know

Z

Closed Thread