It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• How long before symptoms become more permanent?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
    jerseyjunkie
    (male)

jerseyjunkie HB User
    How long before symptoms become more permanent?

Briefly, here is the situation: I was bitten by a tick last August (7 mos. ago). I got the bullseye, and had severe symptoms. I've had Lyme before, and knew what was going on immediately. My doctor prescribed antibiotics, and I went on them immediately.

My worst symptoms (massive headache, chills) disapppeared within four days. Ignorant, and assuming that absence of symptoms meant that the problem had been cured, I stopped taking the antibiotics after about a week.

Four months later, I started to get tingling sensations in my feet. A month after that, I started to get arthritis in knees. When the arthritis also attacked my elbows, a lightbulb went on, and I knew that I still had Lyme. Went back to the doc, and he prescribed Doxy again, and told me to to stop taking until they were all gone this time! (blood test confirmed diagnosis).

Here's the question: I know that generally doctors think that if antibiotics are started soon (within 2 weeks?) of the tick bite, a full recovery is possible. So what about if the antibiotic regimen is started (again) six, seven months after the initial cause?? Have I permanently screwed myself up? Reading this board is a bit depressing! Is there a chance I will be cured with this round of Doxy?

Any help would be much appreciated! My name, JerseyJunkie, refers to the fact that I am both a tennis and windsurfing junkie, neither of which I can do with arthritis!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 02:48 AM   #2
    Bill S
    Inactive
    (male)

Bill S HB User
    Re: How long before symptoms become more permanent?

I wasn't diagnosed for 3 months, and not treated effectively (ie, more than the usual 3 weeks Doxycycline) for 2 more years (Nov '06). After 8 months combination antibiotic therapy, we think I'm cured.

What dose Doxycycline are you on, and are you on some other abx to kill the cyst form (if you aren't, Lyme will come back out of hiding and reinfect you)?

Old 01-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
    darion4

darion4 HB User

I can't answer your question, but it's been 12 years since I received the bite and the rash and had the start of my symptoms, and I was just diagnosed with Lyme Disease this month. The doctor I'm seeing seems to be confident that the antibiotics will help me even at this late stage of the game. I guess I'll find out soon enough. Anyway, best of luck!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
    jerseyjunkie
    (male)

jerseyjunkie HB User

What dose Doxycycline are you on, and are you on some other abx to kill the cyst form (if you aren't, Lyme will come back out of hiding and reinfect you)?[/QUOTE]

Bill, what is cyst form? Should I be asking my MD about this? I am not on another antibiotic... Are there differences of opinion? Why would my MD not have me taking the right things?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, M

Closed Thread