It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Q's about Flagyl

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
    datgrlstef
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

datgrlstef HB User
    Q's about Flagyl

I was on Doxy/Levaquin for a month, but after lots of muscle pain (which could have been tendon pains?), the LLMD took me off it and now I'm on Doxy/Flagyl. I have read some people say this is a great combo, but then I've also read some not-so-pleasant things about Flagyl's possible side effects. (Of course all meds have possible side effects- which is why I get so anxious before taking something new).

Can anybody tell me their experiences with this med, and/or with this combo? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
    fernee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

fernee HB Userfernee HB User
    Re: Q's about Flagyl

I do not know about the combo of doxy/flagyl but I am on the combo of zithro/flagyl and IV rocephin. Have not had any side effects that I have noticed except for weird taste in mouth now that stays around the clock. Other than that, seems fine.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
    datgrlstef
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

datgrlstef HB User

I've read that Flagyl tastes hideous and to down it as quick as you can? LOL I remember Biaxin was horrible tasting, too.. and the taste came and went a few times a day. Bleck!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #4
    fernee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I literally drop it down my throat.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi datgrlstef. Some people have intense herxes on Flagyl. It treats the cyst form of Lyme. I never took Flagyl, I took Tinidazole with another antibiotic. It also treats the cyst form and is supposed to be easier to tolerate. What doses of each are you taking?

Some people say coating the pill in olive oil before swallowing helps. When on Flagyl, do not have alcohol of any kind (including mouthwash etc.) or it can make you very sick.

Good luck!

Old 02-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
    datgrlstef
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

datgrlstef HB User

I read that you can't even use hand sanitizers because of the alcohol in it? Or use rubbing alcohol on the skin? I'm going to really have to be careful, because with my two young kids, we use the hand sanitizer a lot.

I'm on 300mg/day of Doxy, and 750 mg/day of Flagyl.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
    fernee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by datgrlstef View Post
    I read that you can't even use hand sanitizers because of the alcohol in it? Or use rubbing alcohol on the skin? I'm going to really have to be careful, because with my two young kids, we use the hand sanitizer a lot.

I'm on 300mg/day of Doxy, and 750 mg/day of Flagyl.
    This I was not aware of and I have been using hand santizer a lot especially this past month since being on the picc. So far, I have been ok though but I have eliminated the mouth wash and even had some type of toothpaste that I thought may have alcohol in so I stopped using that brand.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:11 AM   #8
    gebe
    (female)

gebe HB User

Hi,
    My son (18y) has been on doxy+flagyl for almost 3 months now. He's on 300mg doxy every day, and 3x400mg Flagyl 3 days per week. These Flagyl periods have an extra effect, I'm sure. During the first 2-3 runs he had more headaches and some strange sensations in the head, difficult for me to describe. In general he was feeling more miserable from day 2 on Flagyl and until one day after. Some times he gets this dark urine in connection to taking Flagyl, but not every time. Less now that in the beginning of this treatment. Flagyl is know to cause this in some cases. In total, what is side effects and what is herxes you will never know for sure, I guess??

BW
    Gebe

Old 02-23-2008, 08:05 AM   #9
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Gebe! It is good to see you posting. How are you?

It can be difficult to tell what is a side effect and what is from herxing. It is always good to get a print-out of possible side effects of meds that are being taken. Babesiosis can also cause dark urine.

I hope your son continues improving!

Old 02-23-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi datrlstef. I suggest calling the pharmacist regarding the sanitizers.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:24 AM   #11
    KeyLyme
    Veteran
    (female)

KeyLyme HB User

Quote:
    I was on Doxy/Levaquin for a month, but after lots of muscle pain (which could have been tendon pains?), the LLMD took me off it and now I'm on Doxy/Flagyl. I have read some people say this is a great combo, but then I've also read some not-so-pleasant things about Flagyl's possible side effects. (Of course all meds have possible side effects- which is why I get so anxious before taking something new).

Can anybody tell me their experiences with this med, and/or with this combo? Thanks!
    I had a very strong herx while taking Flagyl. My LLMD won't put me on it right now b/c of my severe herx that I had. My herx included not being able to talk right and getting lost in familiar places.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #12
    datgrlstef
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

datgrlstef HB User

For those who herxed, about how long after taking it did that happen? I've read elsewhere that a couple people herxed w/in 4 hours of taking it. Of course I - lke many of you- have to wonder if it was an actual "herx", or merely a side effect or negative reaction to the abx?

My prescription print-out said not using any products containing alcohol- it lists things like cough & cold syrups, aftershave, etc.. . So I would have to assume if aftershave is bad, so would be hand sanitizer, etc.. today I found myself an alcohol-free deodorant LOL. Better safe than sorry.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:33 PM   #13
    KeyLyme
    Veteran
    (female)

KeyLyme HB User

Quote:
    For those who herxed, about how long after taking it did that happen? I've read elsewhere that a couple people herxed w/in 4 hours of taking it. Of course I - lke many of you- have to wonder if it was an actual "herx", or merely a side effect or negative reaction to the abx?

My prescription print-out said not using any products containing alcohol- it lists things like cough & cold syrups, aftershave, etc.. . So I would have to assume if aftershave is bad, so would be hand sanitizer, etc.. today I found myself an alcohol-free deodorant LOL. Better safe than sorry.
    I started herxing w/in a day of taking the Flagyl.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:03 AM   #14
    Bill S
    Inactive
    (male)

Bill S HB User

I had very good results on Tindamax 500mg/day, combined with Cefzil 500mg/day and Benicar. I had bad side effects from a previous regimen of Flagyl.

Closed Thread