It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Anyone take artemisinin or Mepron?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
    fernee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

fernee HB Userfernee HB User
    Anyone take artemisinin or Mepron?

Went to the LLMD today. He wants to continue to IV rocephin for additional 4 weeks (possibly 8) since I am feeling some improvement. He is concerned though that I may have babesia so now he wants me to do the zithromax 4 times a day and now included Mepron and then the other 3 days I will do the flagyl and artemisinin. Will continue the 2 grams of rocephin daily.

Anyone have this combo? Any side effects I should be worried about?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Re: Anyone take artemisinin or Mepron?

Hi fernee. Do you mean take Zithromax four times a day or four times a week?

It is my understanding that Mepron needs to be taken with Zithromax, Biaxin, or Ketek to work effectively. I have never heard of these meds being pulsed four times a week.

Mepron and Zithromax can be very effective against Babesiosis. It seems for many the minimum treatment time is four months or re-treatment is necessary. Longer treatment is not unusual. Make sure you eat something fatty when you take the Mepron or it will not be absorbed properly.

I had a severe case of Babesiosis, and this combo worked for me. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
    fernee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ticker,

Yes, I meant 4 times a week (once a day).

I hope to not need to be on it for that many months. Hopefully the rocephin will continue to help. I do feel a lot better. Enough to actually feel tired and blah at times. I get before I must of felt like that all the time because now I can tell the difference.

I have even started doing some excerising which is making me feel better. Determined to get better.

The doctor said today that my complexion looks really good too so guess that is changing some. Thank god, I feel as though lyme aged me so much.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
    Tom1900
    (male)

Tom1900 HB User

I was on Mepron and Azithro for my babesiosis for 3 weeks, then a month of malarone, then another 3 weeks mepron/azithro-- but just by itself. I had no side effects from the mepron/azithro-- in fact, it was the first thing that started to help me to feel a little better-- except for the Malarone. That stuff made me feel like hell.
    Glad to hear that you've made some improvement. Hang in there.

Last edited by Tom1900; 02-26-2008 at 11:05 AM. Reason: edit

Old 02-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi fernee. I have never heard of taking Mepron this way. I thought it needed to be taken continuously. Some doctors prescribe it in cycles of three weeks on, one week off and some prescribe it continuously. I took it continuously.

I suggest researching to see if it would be effective this way. Also it is usually prescribed two to three times daily. Which doctor are you seeing (initials okay)?

Old 02-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
    fernee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dr. S in Towson, MD.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #7
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi fernee. I recommend doing some research on how Mepron is usually prescribed. I have never heard of it being prescribed this way, but of course I am not a doctor. Dr. S. comes highly recommended from what I understand.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
    fernee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ticker,

I did mess up though. Just picked up the prescrition and it says take it twice a day (when I am taking it). So that seems to make a little more sense. Dr. S said that between that and then the fact that I will take the flagyl on the off days with the artemisinin that they are geared towards the babesia and then I will have one or the other every day of the week.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:58 AM   #9
    ryebeach
    (female)

ryebeach HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fernee View Post
    Ticker,

I did mess up though. Just picked up the prescrition and it says take it twice a day (when I am taking it). So that seems to make a little more sense. Dr. S said that between that and then the fact that I will take the flagyl on the off days with the artemisinin that they are geared towards the babesia and then I will have one or the other every day of the week.
    Hi Fernee
    I do not have the same regimine but I do take IV zithromax daily and mepron 2 X a day I was on rocephin for a year started out 4 days on 3 days off then went to every day but it became ineffective and was swithched to the Zithro instead
    The only real side effect I had was it took away my taste buds for awhile intemitenly . I would just make sure to brush my tongue well after taking it and this has helped . It does a really good job on the basesia and really helps with the night and day sweats that I have had for so long .
    Allof these treatments can take quite some time to do their job so be patient and if you have any questions jot them down and speak with doctor . Alos there are many helpful people on this board .
    Take care and good luck with your progress

Closed Thread