It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Went to see Dr. Horowitz on monday...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
    Lateralus112358
    (male)

Lateralus112358 HB User
    Went to see Dr. Horowitz on monday...

My appointment with Dr. Horowitz has come and gone; I never saw the man himself, but I had a consultation with a Nurse Practitioner named John Fallon, who was very friendly and super informative. He was very helpful, listened to story and answered all of my questions.

He prescribed 400mg (200mg 2x day) of Doxycycline, and put me on 200mg of plaquinil. He also prompted me with a computer print-out that has the outline for the low yeast low sugar diet and a bunch of other helpful stuff.

I am now convinced: if you live in upstate new york, Dr. Horowitz' office is the place to go if you have Chronic Lyme. It was the first time ANYONE in the medical field listened to my symptoms/story and didn't talk down to me, or treat me like a hypochondriac. I welcomed with open arms, was not met with any skepticism, and (most importantly) got the drugs I need to get well....hopefully. Hudson Valley Healing Arts Center, Dr. Horowitz -- think of him first before you go anywhere else.

PS - one question, what the heck is plaquinil and how does it work?

I hate doctors.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2008, 12:33 AM   #2
    ryebeach
    (female)

ryebeach HB User
    Re: Went to see Dr. Horowitz on monday...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lateralus112358 View Post
    My appointment with Dr. Horowitz has come and gone; I never saw the man himself, but I had a consultation with a Nurse Practitioner named John Fallon, who was very friendly and super informative. He was very helpful, listened to story and answered all of my questions.

He prescribed 400mg (200mg 2x day) of Doxycycline, and put me on 200mg of plaquinil. He also prompted me with a computer print-out that has the outline for the low yeast low sugar diet and a bunch of other helpful stuff.

I am now convinced: if you live in upstate new york, Dr. Horowitz' office is the place to go if you have Chronic Lyme. It was the first time ANYONE in the medical field listened to my symptoms/story and didn't talk down to me, or treat me like a hypochondriac. I welcomed with open arms, was not met with any skepticism, and (most importantly) got the drugs I need to get well....hopefully. Hudson Valley Healing Arts Center, Dr. Horowitz -- think of him first before you go anywhere else.

PS - one question, what the heck is plaquinil and how does it work?
    Hi Laterulis
    Plaquenil is a quinine based antinflamatory drug but is also used to treat malaria which is in the same catagory as Babesis one of the co-infections that comes along with lyme . It worked well for me but had to stop it when I started on Mepron for the babesis while I was also on the rocephin IV therapy but it worked really great on the joint swelling for me .
    Stick with some supplements whatever they suggested and a good probiotic for your intestinal tract which the good flora can be effected by antibiotic treatment so make sure to do the probiotics
    I hope you can finally start to improve
    Take care
    Ryebeach

Old 03-06-2008, 02:49 AM   #3
    Lateralus112358
    (male)

Lateralus112358 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryebeach View Post
    Hi Laterulis
    Plaquenil is a quinine based antinflamatory drug but is also used to treat malaria which is in the same catagory as Babesis one of the co-infections that comes along with lyme . It worked well for me but had to stop it when I started on Mepron for the babesis while I was also on the rocephin IV therapy but it worked really great on the joint swelling for me .
    Stick with some supplements whatever they suggested and a good probiotic for your intestinal tract which the good flora can be effected by antibiotic treatment so make sure to do the probiotics
    I hope you can finally start to improve
    Take care
    Ryebeach
    I read on a handful of websites that Plaquenil is used to treat the cystic form of Lyme, the only kind that cannot be fought with Doxy. The spirochetal form and the "L-form" (whatever that is) of the B. Burgdorferi bug can be wiped out with Doxy, but something else is needed to get rid of the cysts (which seem to be a defense mechanism in response to the doxy), otherwise the patient is prone to relapse after they are taken off the abx.

This aggravates me, because it means that a stupid spiral shaped blob of protein and nucleic acid that does not even have the beginnings of a brain can somehow outsmart powerful abx and the educated people who administer them to us. I hate Lyme. Die Lyme, die.

I hate doctors.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:59 AM   #4
    ryebeach
    (female)

ryebeach HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lateralus112358 View Post
    I read on a handful of websites that Plaquenil is used to treat the cystic form of Lyme, the only kind that cannot be fought with Doxy. The spirochetal form and the "L-form" (whatever that is) of the B. Burgdorferi bug can be wiped out with Doxy, but something else is needed to get rid of the cysts (which seem to be a defense mechanism in response to the doxy), otherwise the patient is prone to relapse after they are taken off the abx.

This aggravates me, because it means that a stupid spiral shaped blob of protein and nucleic acid that does not even have the beginnings of a brain can somehow outsmart powerful abx and the educated people who administer them to us. I hate Lyme. Die Lyme, die.
    Hi Lateriulus
    I just learned something new about plaquenil. I knew it was for the malarial part of co-infections but no idea about the cyst form being combated with it . Sounds like we are in the war zone . Mepron and malarone are another two medicines that also go after the cyst form . This is why it is so hard to erradicate this bacteria because it goes into all these forms . We all know how you feel but keep up the battle and we will win this one .
    Take care
    Ryebeach

Old 03-06-2008, 05:29 AM   #5
    Lateralus112358
    (male)

Lateralus112358 HB User

Thank you, you're sweet. I wish you luck as well.

I hate doctors.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:22 AM   #6
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi Lateralus. I am so glad you went to Dr. H's office and liked them. It sounds like you have a good plan of action.

Although Plaquenil is classified as an anti-malarial, I do not believe most Lyme doctors prescribe it for Babesiosis. I am not a doctor, but I also believe there are better choices to treat the cyst form (meds such as Tinidazole or Flagyl). From what I understand, Plaquenil is also an anti-inflammatory and it can help certain antibiotics work more effectively. I believe many Lyme doctors prescribe it for this reason.

There are a few important tips about taking Doxy. Do not have any dairy, magnesium or iron products two hours before or after taking it or it will not be absorbed properly. If it makes you nauseous, eat something substantial and non-dairy before taking it. What helped me most was having some kind of sandwich with protein. Avoid the sun. You can get a severe burn in minutes even when wearing sunscreen. Do not lay down for at least an hour after taking it or you can ulcerate your esophagus. This is very painful! Drink a full glass of water when you take it for the same reason.

Whenever you take any antibiotics, make sure you take high-quality acidophilus capsules. They replace the good bacteria in the body and help to prevent yeast overgrowth. The best ones to get are refrigerated. Most healthfood stores have them. Wait at least two hours before or after taking the antibiotics to take the acidophilus.

Be aware of the Jarisch-Herxheimer Reaction (herx). Often, when people who have Lyme take antibiotics, their symptoms become worse or they get new ones. When the antibiotics kill the bacteria, toxins are released making them feel sicker. It can be very scary when it happens, but it is a good sign the antibiotics are working. Although it can vary individually, many people experience this at the beginning of treatment and every three to four weeks.

During treatment, it is a good idea to document your symptoms daily. One way to do this is to list the three main symptoms you have each day and a numerical rating of their severity, from 1-10. Over time when you review this, you can see when your herxes occur and how you are responding to the meds.

Good luck with your protocol!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
    Nyxie63
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

Lateralus,
    I just had my first appt in that office on Tuesday. I saw Lauren, who is a PA. Dr H came in towards the end of the appt and we talked for about 15 minutes.

I too am pleased with their compassion, knowledge, and thoroughness. And finally, after all this time, I finally have an official dx! Yay!?!?! Not thrilled to have lyme but at least now I know what the problem is, as well as having a treatment plan in place. What a relief!

They started me on doxy, palanquil, nystantin, and full Cowden protocol, as well as a whole lot of other things. Get more test results next month. They want to confirm babs and bart and are testing for all kinds of virusy stuff. I think 12 tubes of blood is a new personal record.

I was also very pleased that they looked at non-lyme things too like my thyroid and adrenals and nutritional deficiencies. They also look at things like your emotional well-being. Being treated as a whole, real live person is a wonderul and priceless experience.

I have to honestly say that I'm extremely satisfied with how they run things there. Having lyme may not be so great, but thank goodness for doctors offices like this one.

Closed Thread