HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Lyme Disease (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/lyme-disease/)
-   -   Does your LLMD treat Lyme or coinfections first? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/lyme-disease/590255-does-your-llmd-treat-lyme-coinfections-first.html)

tickbattler 03-21-2008 08:54 AM

Does your LLMD treat Lyme or coinfections first?

I always thought that coinfections should be treated first, but I've had a couple of LLMD's say that lyme should be treated first.

What does your LLMD say?

Thanks,

tickbattler

fernee 03-21-2008 10:56 AM

Re: Does your LLMD treat Lyme or coinfections first?

Mine treated for both the entire time so far.

monarog 03-21-2008 11:04 AM

Hi Tickbattler,

My LLMD is treating Lyme for the first couple of months. I, like you, had also read co-infections first. She told me she wanted to attempt to get the Lyme bacteria down some - then would hit co-infections - or possibly simultaneously at that point - like Fernee, not sure.

ticker 03-21-2008 11:06 AM

From what I understand, the majority of Lyme doctors believe the co-infecitons need to be treated first. In most cases, the antibiotics that treat the co-infections may also be effective against Lyme.

In my case, Lyme treatment was not effective until the co-infections were addressed.

brimmy 03-23-2008 09:06 PM

[QUOTE=tickbattler;3496932]I always thought that coinfections should be treated first, but I've had a couple of LLMD's say that lyme should be treated first.

What does your LLMD say?

Thanks,

tickbattler[/QUOTE]

It's my understanding that it is the Bartonella and the Ehrlichia that are the primary culprits in compromising the immune response. My doctor said there were a few different treatment paths, both of which are focused upon strengthening the immune system as soon as possible, so it can be ally in the attack.

One was to focus on the Bart and Ehr first, to lower their counts and thereby (hopefully) allow the immune system to recover. I know my own leukocyte count was very low a year ago. The other was to take a more generalized approach in terms of the antibiotic/antiprotozoan cocktail, and use vitamin/herbal support to encourage the immune recovery. The latter was the regime I chose.

I cant tell you how you might respond to homeopathic treatment, but I've been able to pull my leukocyte count back up into the normal range for the first time in 2 years, using plenty of vitamins and minerals over the last 10 months. A weak immune system is a good predictor of Lyme Disease treatment failure, so it'd be a good idea to support your's with supplements.

tickbattler 03-24-2008 05:27 AM

Thanks brimmy-

My husband's CD57 went from 155 to 240 in a month after treatment of 2000 mg. tetracycline for 30 days. Based on that (and the fact he no longer has joint pain) I think his lyme is fairly under control. Is there another marker of immune system?

I couldn't find the words "leucocyte" count on any test results. Is there another word I should look for?

Thanks,

tickbattler

brimmy 03-24-2008 10:00 PM

[QUOTE=tickbattler;3499698]Thanks brimmy-

My husband's CD57 went from 155 to 240 in a month after treatment of 2000 mg. tetracycline for 30 days. Based on that (and the fact he no longer has joint pain) I think his lyme is fairly under control. Is there another marker of immune system?

I couldn't find the words "leucocyte" count on any test results. Is there another word I should look for?

Thanks,

tickbattler[/QUOTE]

Yes, those are white blood cells. If he is recovering you should hopefully see the white blood cell count begin to rise.

brimmy 03-24-2008 10:27 PM

[QUOTE=tickbattler;3499698]Thanks brimmy-

Thanks,

tickbattler[/QUOTE]

baserockermom 03-27-2008 06:10 AM

New to this board; can someone tell me if there is effective treatment for Lyme's Disease. Is there any point in going to doctors?

baserockermom 03-27-2008 02:56 PM

I've been sick years and diagnosed with fibromyalgia, myofascial pain, and carpal tunnel this year. Prior to this year... intercostal myalgia (rib pain), migraines, cluster headaches, tension headaches, chronic fatigue, tmj, acid reflux, high blood pressure, etc. Main reason why I am concerned is many of my family members also present with similar problems; all of us were exposed to an entire summer of ticks when we cleared the land in our new home. Someone on the fibro board keeps admonishing us to be appropriately tested for Lymes; hence, the questions.

Thanks.