It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Does your LLMD treat Lyme or coinfections first?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
    tickbattler
    (female)

tickbattler HB User
    Does your LLMD treat Lyme or coinfections first?

I always thought that coinfections should be treated first, but I've had a couple of LLMD's say that lyme should be treated first.

What does your LLMD say?

Thanks,

tickbattler

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
    fernee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

fernee HB Userfernee HB User
    Re: Does your LLMD treat Lyme or coinfections first?

Mine treated for both the entire time so far.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
    monarog
    (female)

monarog HB User

Hi Tickbattler,

My LLMD is treating Lyme for the first couple of months. I, like you, had also read co-infections first. She told me she wanted to attempt to get the Lyme bacteria down some - then would hit co-infections - or possibly simultaneously at that point - like Fernee, not sure.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

From what I understand, the majority of Lyme doctors believe the co-infecitons need to be treated first. In most cases, the antibiotics that treat the co-infections may also be effective against Lyme.

In my case, Lyme treatment was not effective until the co-infections were addressed.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
    brimmy
    (male)

brimmy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tickbattler View Post
    I always thought that coinfections should be treated first, but I've had a couple of LLMD's say that lyme should be treated first.

What does your LLMD say?

Thanks,

tickbattler
    It's my understanding that it is the Bartonella and the Ehrlichia that are the primary culprits in compromising the immune response. My doctor said there were a few different treatment paths, both of which are focused upon strengthening the immune system as soon as possible, so it can be ally in the attack.

One was to focus on the Bart and Ehr first, to lower their counts and thereby (hopefully) allow the immune system to recover. I know my own leukocyte count was very low a year ago. The other was to take a more generalized approach in terms of the antibiotic/antiprotozoan cocktail, and use vitamin/herbal support to encourage the immune recovery. The latter was the regime I chose.

I cant tell you how you might respond to homeopathic treatment, but I've been able to pull my leukocyte count back up into the normal range for the first time in 2 years, using plenty of vitamins and minerals over the last 10 months. A weak immune system is a good predictor of Lyme Disease treatment failure, so it'd be a good idea to support your's with supplements.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:27 AM   #6
    tickbattler
    (female)

tickbattler HB User

Thanks brimmy-

My husband's CD57 went from 155 to 240 in a month after treatment of 2000 mg. tetracycline for 30 days. Based on that (and the fact he no longer has joint pain) I think his lyme is fairly under control. Is there another marker of immune system?

I couldn't find the words "leucocyte" count on any test results. Is there another word I should look for?

Thanks,

tickbattler

Old 03-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
    brimmy
    (male)

brimmy HB User

Quote:
    Thanks brimmy-

My husband's CD57 went from 155 to 240 in a month after treatment of 2000 mg. tetracycline for 30 days. Based on that (and the fact he no longer has joint pain) I think his lyme is fairly under control. Is there another marker of immune system?

I couldn't find the words "leucocyte" count on any test results. Is there another word I should look for?

Thanks,

tickbattler
    Yes, those are white blood cells. If he is recovering you should hopefully see the white blood cell count begin to rise.

Last edited by brimmy; 03-24-2008 at 10:33 PM.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:27 PM   #8
    brimmy
    (male)

brimmy HB User

Quote:
    Thanks brimmy-

Thanks,

tickbattler

Last edited by brimmy; 03-24-2008 at 10:32 PM. Reason: repost

Old 03-27-2008, 06:10 AM   #9
    baserockermom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

baserockermom HB User

New to this board; can someone tell me if there is effective treatment for Lyme's Disease. Is there any point in going to doctors?

Old 03-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #10
    baserockermom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

baserockermom HB User

I've been sick years and diagnosed with fibromyalgia, myofascial pain, and carpal tunnel this year. Prior to this year... intercostal myalgia (rib pain), migraines, cluster headaches, tension headaches, chronic fatigue, tmj, acid reflux, high blood pressure, etc. Main reason why I am concerned is many of my family members also present with similar problems; all of us were exposed to an entire summer of ticks when we cleared the land in our new home. Someone on the fibro board keeps admonishing us to be appropriately tested for Lymes; hence, the questions.

Thanks.

Closed Thread