It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• ringing in ears? zithro?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
    ktinbk
    (female)

ktinbk HB User
    ringing in ears? zithro?

hi all,

i'm back from my business trip. the flying totally aggravated my symptoms, and i realized i'm in no condition to be traveling right now. and i'm actually considered to be "doing pretty well"! i can't imagine how tough it would be for someone who wasn't doing well at all.

question - ever since i got back, i've had this weird sound in my ears. almost like the high pitch sound a TV makes when it's on mute or turned down but you can still hear the electricity. does that make sense? my zithro pamphlet says to tell my dr. immediately if i have ringing in my ears, but i'm not sure if that's what it is or not. my ears were literally killing me on the flights, so at first i thought it could be a result of that. i've also had a terrible cold ever since getting back, so i don't know if that's related.

i feel like i'm driving Dr. R's office crazy with all my questions about medication. but frankly this isn't easy. i hate pills and i'm scared to death of taking more than one at a time so i never know if i can take an Advil Cold and Sinus with the benadril and abx i'm already on or if i need to space it out or what. i've lost a ton of weight on the candida diet (i'm under 100 pounds now) so i feel like i'm super sensitive to everything. i just want to feel better.

also, Dr. R never tested my CD-57 or even mentioned it. did you have to ask your drs to test for it or is this something some of them volunteered to do. there's such a high opinion of him on this board, that i have to believe i'm in good hands, but a lot of the tests i'm getting done (MRI, Spinal Tap) are things he never even mentioned.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
    Kelly5907
    (female)

Kelly5907 HB User
    Re: ringing in ears? zithro?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktinbk View Post
    hi all,

i'm back from my business trip. the flying totally aggravated my symptoms, and i realized i'm in no condition to be traveling right now. and i'm actually considered to be "doing pretty well"! i can't imagine how tough it would be for someone who wasn't doing well at all.

question - ever since i got back, i've had this weird sound in my ears. almost like the high pitch sound a TV makes when it's on mute or turned down but you can still hear the electricity. does that make sense? my zithro pamphlet says to tell my dr. immediately if i have ringing in my ears, but i'm not sure if that's what it is or not. my ears were literally killing me on the flights, so at first i thought it could be a result of that. i've also had a terrible cold ever since getting back, so i don't know if that's related.

i feel like i'm driving Dr. R's office crazy with all my questions about medication. but frankly this isn't easy. i hate pills and i'm scared to death of taking more than one at a time so i never know if i can take an Advil Cold and Sinus with the benadril and abx i'm already on or if i need to space it out or what. i've lost a ton of weight on the candida diet (i'm under 100 pounds now) so i feel like i'm super sensitive to everything. i just want to feel better.

also, Dr. R never tested my CD-57 or even mentioned it. did you have to ask your drs to test for it or is this something some of them volunteered to do. there's such a high opinion of him on this board, that i have to believe i'm in good hands, but a lot of the tests i'm getting done (MRI, Spinal Tap) are things he never even mentioned.
    Ktinbk....

Sorry your not feeling well.. I dont think I would take Advil cold and sinus at the same time as Benadryl.. Also, Dr. R doesnt rely on the CD-57 test so much anymore, that is probably why he didnt mention it.. Also, many LLMD's wont recommend spinal taps.. Same thing as MRI's.. I know they will rely on a SPECT scan but iam not to sure about the MRI.. Dr. R is great and your in good hands.. If there was a test he thought you needed he would order it.. If you want to get tested for certian things.. then just ask him and he will do it for you.. I asked to be tested for the craziest things and he was very willing to do it.. Never feel like your being a pest calling the office, its your body and you need to feel comftable with what your doing.. I hope you start feeling better soon..

Kelly

Old 03-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi ktinbk. I believe one possible side effect of Zithromax can be ringing in the ears. You should let your doctor know.

Not all Lyme doctors run the CD-57 test.

Why do you want to have a spinal tap done? From what I understand, spinal taps show Lyme disease in less than 5% of cases. Because of this, I don't believe that Lyme doctors usually order this to test for Lyme.

Hang in there okay?

Old 03-23-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
    ktinbk
    (female)

ktinbk HB User

I emailed Dr. R's office, and they called in Biaxin for me, so I'm going to make the switch later today. I've been on it before and I was either herxing terribly or having an allergic reaction, so I'm hoping all goes well this time. This is the 3rd switch we've made.

I'm not looking forward to the spinal tap at all, but the neurologist and GP i've been seeing at the hospital insist i need it. i find out on Wednesday what day they want me to do it. they're also having me do a colonoscopy since i've had digestive problems for 10 years now and we're pretty certain it's from the lyme. i developed corn and soy allergies as a teenager. not looking forward to that too.

thanks for all the encouragement and words of advice. it really helps get through this thing.

best wishes,

kt

Old 03-23-2008, 07:22 AM   #5
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Good luck with the med switch ktinbk.

I have never had a spinal tap, but I believe it is very important to lay flat for several hours afterward or you can get a severe headache. I suggest researching this ahead of time. Maybe if others here have had one, they can post.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
    J0J0
    Inactive

J0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB User

Hi, I had a spinal tap. IF you don't have to have it then I wouldn't. I begged my doctor that was treating me for lyme to order me one. Beings we couldn't get a CDC positive. And I had no idea at that time that it just doesn't matter if you are CDC positive or not. IF you know you have lyme then I would suggest passing on it.

TIcker is correct, they say to lie down after you have it done. Well you do have to get up and walk out to your car then the drive home then getting in the house ect....IT threw me for a loop! Knocked me down for a couple of days. And of course it showed nothing.

But then like every thing else...Everyone reacts differently to things...

I found even having the colonoscopy and other things that invaded my body would make me worse than I already was. I had nooooo idea that with the proper treatment majority of these physical problems get better as you go along.

I wish you lots of luck in your treatment.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
    J0J0
    Inactive

J0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB UserJ0J0 HB User

I have ringing in the ears, real bad....I do feel after 8 years of treatment it is something that I get to live with. I was hoping it was from med's also. Still have it....

Old 03-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #8
    ktinbk
    (female)

ktinbk HB User

hi jojo,

I saw the neurologist again today for the spinal MRI results, and everything looked good so she's going to talk to Dr. R before proceeding with the spinal tap. i'm hoping Dr. R tells her not to do it. I've been avoiding the colonoscopy too. I had one a couple years ago, and it was even worse than my surgery for endometriosis as far as how i felt afterwards. i feel like i was improving on the zithro, and now i'm on Biaxin which seems pretty strong so i want to wait that out before i go searching for answers. i think my GP is trying to do the best job in treating me but isn't well versed in lyme issues.

Speaking of Biaxin, my pharmacist told me i can't take diflucan with it, so i have to talk to Dr. R about that too. i definitely have a hardcore case of thrush going on right now, and i want to stop it asap. i think i've actually had this off and on for years now.

thanks for all the tips. i hope we're all improving and taking a step towards better every single day.

kt

Closed Thread