It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Does MRI show lesions?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
    isk8
    (female)

isk8 HB User
    Does MRI show lesions?

I am having an MRI (brain) on Monday and my neuro said that it would show lesions if I had Lyme? I am interested in what he meant, never can think of all the questions I have to ask when at the appointment. Hate that darn tube of an MRI machine...thank goodness for sedatives. Big prayers needed here. Anyone know anything about this?
    J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
    datgrlstef
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

datgrlstef HB User
    Re: Does MRI show lesions?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by isk8 View Post
    I am having an MRI (brain) on Monday and my neuro said that it would show lesions if I had Lyme? I am interested in what he meant, never can think of all the questions I have to ask when at the appointment. Hate that darn tube of an MRI machine...thank goodness for sedatives. Big prayers needed here. Anyone know anything about this?
    J
    Personally, I don't know if I give much credence to MRI's for either Lyme or MS. I had two MRI's last year- brain, c-spine and lower back. One just to see if anything weird would show up (along with various other tests), after I started seeing my Neurologist. The second one was done 6 months later, after the entire left side of my body went numb. Neither showed lesions, although they did show other anomalies. I do have Lyme, and ... no lesions. It's not that lesions will be there if you have it.. but they can be there if you have it. Even with MS, you won't necessarily have lesions. My understanding is that they can disappear, and return.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
    tickbattler
    (female)

tickbattler HB User
    Re: Does MRI show lesions?

I would do the spect scan instead or in addition to the MRI. Apparently the spect is much better at showing a lyme infection. My husband's MRI was completely normal and he has lyme, bart and babs. His spect was not normal.

Good luck,

tickbattler

Closed Thread