It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Describe your issues with yeast overgrowth...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
    chris0007
    (male)

chris0007 HB Userchris0007 HB User
    Describe your issues with yeast overgrowth...

Hi all,

I'm just trying to prepare myself for any potential side effects of abx treatment. How did everyone know they had yeast issues? I know that in the mouth and vaginal areas, it would be relatively easy to tell, but how do you know you are having issues in the GI tract, especially when the GI issues could be from the abx treatment?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2008, 05:20 AM   #2
    Bill S
    Inactive
    (male)

Bill S HB User
    Re: Describe your issues with yeast overgrowth...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chris0007 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm just trying to prepare myself for any potential side effects of abx treatment. How did everyone know they had yeast issues? I know that in the mouth and vaginal areas, it would be relatively easy to tell, but how do you know you are having issues in the GI tract, especially when the GI issues could be from the abx treatment?

Thanks for any help!
    My doc did periodic stool testing, which among other things, showed that despite acidophilus supplementation and herbal assistance (a product called Fungal Defense), I still had abundant Yeast overgrowth. We also determined that I had antibodies to soy and dairy indicating that those were getting into my bloodstream through a damaged small intestine and causing allergic reactions (dairy gives me a brain high similar to morphine - some researchers note that casein protein attaches itself to the brain's morphine receptors, making you high. I could literally drink a glass of milk and stay high for 2 weeks until it dissipated. AWFUL).

Prior to the onset of Lyme's, I could eat those foods with impunity, but not now. I seem able to eat small amounts of soy so far with no ill effects (used to get a rash on chest and arms), but am afraid to try dairy again due to it's severe effects on me.

I also had sigificant intestinal inflammation and so he put me on L-Glutamine and immunoglobulins to help my gut heal.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
    chris0007
    (male)

Thanks Bill.

So the biggest effect of yeast overgrowth in your GI tract was increased sensitivity to milk and soy? Was your doc a holistic doc or a conventional doc? I find most conventional docs don't believe in yeast overgrowth in the GI tract and shy away from fecal tests for this condition.

Thanks always being there with helpful information!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
    Bill S
    Inactive
    (male)

Bill S HB User

Quote:
    Thanks Bill.

So the biggest effect of yeast overgrowth in your GI tract was increased sensitivity to milk and soy? Was your doc a holistic doc or a conventional doc? I find most conventional docs don't believe in yeast overgrowth in the GI tract and shy away from fecal tests for this condition.

Thanks always being there with helpful information!
    My doc is an internist, Rhuematologist and he does herbs/supplements as well as conventional antibiotics. He's open-minded about treatment options, as long as it isn't too woo-woo. He's also on the cutting edge on a bunch of stuff Lyme-related.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
    chris0007
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
    My doc is an internist, Rhuematologist and he does herbs/supplements as well as conventional antibiotics. He's open-minded about treatment options, as long as it isn't too woo-woo. He's also on the cutting edge on a bunch of stuff Lyme-related.

I need to move to your state Bill! What state are you located in again?
    I found a list of abx with additional info on each abx from a PA lyme website and Biaxin seemed to be a great abx choice for lyme...which I believe you said this doctor gave you and you said worked well for you. This guy really seems to know his stuff.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
    Bill S
    Inactive
    (male)

Bill S HB User

Quote:
    I need to move to your state Bill! What state are you located in again?
    I found a list of abx with additional info on each abx from a PA lyme website and Biaxin seemed to be a great abx choice for lyme...which I believe you said this doctor gave you and you said worked well for you. This guy really seems to know his stuff.
    I live in southern-Central PA state, but the doc is in Rockville MD, near Washington DC.

I was on minocycline initially (had to stop), moved on to Cefzil and Tindamax.

Closed Thread