It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Mepron - side effects?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
    ktinbk
    (female)

ktinbk HB User
    Mepron - side effects?

hi - so Dr. R's started me on Mepron with my Ketek as the next phase of kicking the lyme's butt. i've been making really big strides, but i'm afraid i'm setting myself back b/c i haven't gotten off to a good start with the mepron. i got it last Tuesday... worked up the nerve to start it on Friday. ate it with a super big fatty breakfast like they recommended and all went well. but at dinner that night, i broke out in a rash across my leg 45 minutes after i ate it and felt really really weird. i stopped it so i could talk to Dr. R about the allergic reaction. he said try it mixed in with yogurt and empty a half capsule of benadryl in with it. i just made the concotion, but it's slow going... i'm scared to down it all and get a worse allergic reaction. anyone have good/bad experiences with mepron? did it help? this is an expensive medicine so i want to get my money's worth but i'm very paranoid of ANY adverse reactions from meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
    6Blues
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

6Blues HB User6Blues HB User6Blues HB User
    Re: Mepron - side effects?

Hi ktinbk.

Glad to hear you're making strides. I remember how long it took me to feel even the tiniest improvement (well over a full year), even while pumping loads of drugs into my body.

Feels good to have a glimmer of hope, doesn't it?

I've tried many abx: Omnicef, Ceftin, Doxy, Rocephin, Zithromax, Tindamax, Ketek, Levaquin, Bicillin and a few others I can't remember.

Whenever I was put on a new antibiotic, I would be so excited to see if this was the "one" that help me!

Most of the antibiotics I was on did nothing for me. The one that helped the most was Levaquin and holy smokes was it expensive. Cha-*****.

The one that gave me the worst reaction was Tindamax: I vomitted constantly. I hate throwing up! blech! eeeeew! I gave it the 'ol college try but I stopped it. The puking was too much for me to live with.

None of the drugs I tried gave me any immediate reaction. Any improvement was excrutiatingly slow.

Either it's a good drug for you and it's killing those stupid spirochetes, or you had an allergic reaction.

Best folks to ask is your LLMD and your pharmacist.

Did the rash look like hives or a Lyme-related rash?

I always felt pleased when a drug I was on caused a rash on me. It was proof positive that the bacteria were dying. Mwuh-ha-ha-ha!!

But if it makes you nervous or anxious - call your doc or the pharmacy or both.

Good luck with the Mepron. I've never tried it.

Let us know how you're doing.

Peace and health to you,
    Mickie

Old 09-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
    ktinbk
    (female)

ktinbk HB User

Thanks Mickie! Always good to hear from you, and I'm sorry so many of the drugs you were on were so ineffective. I've had a lucky run so far. I just started taking the Mepron regularly. Dr. R has me mixing it with yogurt and benadryl, and it seems to be working. I'm starting on 1 time a day and working up to 2. So far I haven't gotten any rashes again, but in general I've been itchy all over. It's usually worse hours after the meds, so I don't know if it's the Lyme or just the meds or both. But I'm hoping I see some improvement. Too early to tell, though I'm in a good spot right now and I definitely see a light at the end of the tunnel. Let's hope I don't take any wrong turns as I've done before. Trying to stay positive and remind myself I've pulled through all these other drugs before.

Hope you're getting better as well! Thanks for chiming in! Keep us posted, too. It's good to see familiar names around here.

kt

Old 09-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
    Aimiloo
    (female)

Aimiloo HB User

Mepron was my most successful medicine. I was on 2 rounds of it (paired with another medication...UGH why can't I remember?) and it really helped me.

I wonder if I can search and see if I had any reactions. I don't think I had bad reactions or herxes...it just got me to feeling 99% better.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
    ktinbk
    (female)

ktinbk HB User

oh wow, that's really great to know. i'm glad you're feeling so much better and i guess i'm going to keep pushing through and hoping it makes me that much better, too! maybe i'm herxing or fighting something else... something seems to be going around here in NYC. I was just thinking maybe i should quit it for a couple days, but now i think i might try to push through.

thanks, Aimiloo! I'm glad you're feeling so much better!

Old 09-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
    Aimiloo
    (female)

Aimiloo HB User

I hated the taste of it, but indeed it helped!!!!! If it is a herx, they are generally a good thing.

Right now I'm doing a pulse of 400 mg doxy and 200 mg diflucan to see if there's anything left. I was VERY lucky...I've had it for over 10 years now (WOW) but my symptoms weren't horrible throughout. In fact, a year of treatment has brought up ones I never knew existed!

Just keep on with it, and if there is an issue talk to your Dr.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
    ktinbk
    (female)

ktinbk HB User

thanks, Aimiloo. i hope that your new drugs kill anything that's left. i've had it for about 10 years too... it didn't get really bad until the last 5 years and then really bad in the past 3. but they say i'm making quick progress. here's hoping this mepron does the trick.

have a good weekend

Old 10-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
    CJFT
    (female)

CJFT HB User

I am in new york and think I just started seeing same doc as you. New to this board is there anyway we can chat privately????

Old 10-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #9
    ktinbk
    (female)

ktinbk HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CJFT View Post
    I am in new york and think I just started seeing same doc as you. New to this board is there anyway we can chat privately????
    Hi CJFT... against board rules to chat privately, but if you start a new thread you'll find a lot of us here who are seeing the same doc and who can answer any questions you have.

best,

kt

Closed Thread