It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Lyme Misdiagnosed as TMJ

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2009, 05:02 AM   #1
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
    Lyme Misdiagnosed as TMJ

There is a growing amount of scientific and medical literature addressing TMJ symptoms and jaw and facial pain associated with Lyme. I have come across the following gov link that may be of interest to those of you with TMJ symptoms that don't respond to "traditional" treatment.

[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2812630[/url]

PS Although Lyme arthritis is commonly reported in the peripheral joints (knees, for example), I've read that TMJ is the fourth most commonly affected joint affected by patients with Lyme...this according to a medical journal article.

Last edited by bethsheba; 02-20-2009 at 06:34 AM. Reason: added ps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User
    Re: Lyme Misdiagnosed as TMJ

Thanks for the info. I will read up on this. I've been having TMJ for years. I have to wear a splint every night or I will grind my teeth so bad, my jaw gets stuck and shakes while I'm sleeping.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:15 AM   #3
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

FYI another cause of grinding one's teeth (bruxism) can be medications, anti depressants in particular. Sometimes reducing the dosage will alleviate the bruxism.

That's not to say Lyme can't cause bruxism, I am simply alerting posters to another cause as many people take anti depressants and/or other meds.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

I don't take any of those. I do have symptoms of Lyme and I've been having them for a few years now. Just went see a LLMD Wednesday and am awaiting results. He does think I have it though and wants me to start treatment.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #5
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chantel2003 View Post
    ...Just went see a LLMD Wednesday and am awaiting results. ....
    That's good news. It sounds like you are taking the necessary steps needed to address your symptoms.

I didn't mean to imply that meds caused your bruxism...so my apologies if it came across that way, .

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Oh no, I didn't take that in a bad way. It's good to be educated. I love learning new things and I thank you for supplying the information.

When were you diagnosed with Lyme? You mind telling your story?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
    Renae610
    (female)

Renae610 HB User

Chantel, it could be that TMJ is a symptom of Lyme, if you have lots of inflammation.

My chronically ill daughter was diagnosed with TMJ, and she was treated (several office visits) using an oral appliance that pulled her lower jaw forward, allowing better breathing. She had to have the brace built up due to grinding her teeth. She was not on any meds, as she doesn't tolerate them.

Near the end of TMJ treatments, we went to an LLMD who immediately diagnosed her with 6 months new onset Fibromyalgia. (TMJ problems can be a symptom of Fibro.)
    Blood tests were taken, and the LLMD diagnosed her with CFIDS, Stage 3 Lyme with coinfections, etc. The LLMD said when you kill off Lyme, Fibromyalgia will go away.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Hi Renae Everything I've been having for years seems to be coming together as the Lyme culprit. I recently took some antibiotics and started having all these weird symptoms. The muscle and joint pain got worse and I still feel like I'm herxing after 2 weeks of being off of the antibiotics. I took a high dose of vitamin c yesterday and it seems like everything went back downhill again. Depression, anxiety, and panic have kicked in real bad. I don't even feel like myself anymore. I feel scared of everything and that's not me. Noises bother me and I'm real jumpy. This sad feeling is somethng I've never felt before. My doctor says it's toxins that do that but when will it go away? This is very scary.

Sorry to dump this on you. I'm having a bad day today.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:44 AM   #9
    Renae610
    (female)

Renae610 HB User

Chantel, sorry I haven't come to the board here til now.
    I strongly recommend for chronic lyme, to get on a natural protocol. I am hearing from very sick people, that they are much improved! I am going to send you a PM with more info. ((hugs))

Closed Thread