It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Equivocal Test Results?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
    funnymommy
    (female)

funnymommy HB User
    Equivocal Test Results?

So my PCP ran a blood test for Lyme. Is that the ELISA test? Anyway, they called and told me that was negative along with all of the other labs and specific tests for demylenating disease. So that's good news I guess. But the test for Lyme said it has a normal range of 0-.9. My results cme back .91 which was said to be "equivocal" and athat all equivocal or positive should be checked by Western Blot. I know the tests can be negative and clinically you can be diagnosed and treated by LLMD (which I am trying to get an appt. with) but am I grasping at this .91?

My new symptoms last week were extreme fatigue and a low grade fever of 99.6-100 everyday, worse in the afternoon. Night sweats at night. Almost feeling like the fever "broke". What is weird is almost everyday for the last almost 1.5 years I would take antinflamatory meds- motrin, naproxen, tylenol, voltaren for my neck pain. I suppose if I was having these fevers it could have been hidden because of these meds. Plus, I took myself off of Lexapro because I wanted to get a sense of whether these brain fogs were Lexapro fogs or something else. Interestingly, I still get the fogs

Any feedback?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
    marshrose
    Inactive
    (female)

marshrose HB User
    Re: Equivocal Test Results?

Usually when they run the elisa and get an equivocal, they'll run a western blot after. western blots a more expensive test, so they run the elisa to save on costs (insur co).

Western blot can take 3-5 days to come back, did they say they're running it for you?
    If so I'd get a copy of the test to see what bands come up for you.

You do sound lymie, that's how I was in the beginning too. I would do the follow up with an LLMD, most don't take insurances, and they use better labs that are more speficic for the western blot test.

The western blot test, which is based on YOUR immune response to the lyme bacteria, creates a series of 'bands' that are dark colorations on a 'piece of paper' so to speak.

The labs like Igenix, that LLMDs use, is more specific with this test, so a 'shading' could be negative to a regular lab, whereas Igenix will state +, ++, +++ and so on for the degree of the shade that shows up.

You may learn over time if you are on this route it's a hard disease and best with a educated LLMD. Good luck to you.

If you are going to see a LLMD, Id get copies of all your b/w.

They are going to look at your cbc, differential, sed rate, etc. They're going to do b/w on you anways, but its worth bringing for your intial visit as well as the elisa and western blot test.

Last edited by marshrose; 03-02-2009 at 05:16 PM.

Closed Thread