It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Voice or speech problems with lyme sufferers?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2003, 09:39 AM   #1
    reminc

reminc HB User
    Question Voice or speech problems with lyme sufferers?

Have any of you suffering from lyme disease experienced problems with your speech or voice? I currently have over 80% of the symptoms on the lyme symptom lists but have not heard any of you talk about speech or voice problems. My voice is very gravelly and I have trouble pronouncing three-plus syllable words? My test results came back negative, but the symptoms have me convinced that lyme is definitly a strong probability. Please help with your specific input. Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2003, 11:00 PM   #2
    beck51

beck51 HB User
    The only difficulties I have had with speech at times has been slurred speech and sometimes problems with syllables. Speaking problems improved with treatment.

Old 02-06-2003, 10:56 AM   #3
    kky

kky HB User
    I also experienced slurred speech. I had two negative Elisa tests for Lyme until I finally found a doctor on the Lyme Disease foundation website by using the physician search. He did a flourescent antigen test that cost $250 and not covered by insurance, but it did test positive for Lyme and also babeosis. It might be worth your time to find a doctor that is willing to do some more accurate (and expensive) testing.

Old 02-12-2003, 03:31 PM   #4
    Reptyle
    Inactive

Reptyle HB User
    This is very common. I couldn't carry on a conversation for the longest time. Lyme is very neural. It infests your nervous system and brain. This is going to cause speech problems along with everything else that may seem crazy.

Old 02-20-2003, 09:18 PM   #5
    live4me

I have not been diagnosed with Lymes D, but I have the same problems: tripping over my tongue, spitting out the words so others can sort them out,, so to speak...not to forget tripping over my feet, bumping into thing, like I were drunk, falling,,, and then we have eye twitching, left side weakness and pain.. bowel issues,, joint pains,,, I'm just tired of body rebellion in need of answers...I could certainly say i have reoccuring of 90% of the symptoms check list...Help!!

Old 03-10-2004, 10:08 PM   #6
    lucky21

lucky21 HB User
    Re: Voice or speech problems with lyme sufferers?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by reminc
    Have any of you suffering from lyme disease experienced problems with your speech or voice? I currently have over 80% of the symptoms on the lyme symptom lists but have not heard any of you talk about speech or voice problems. My voice is very gravelly and I have trouble pronouncing three-plus syllable words? My test results came back negative, but the symptoms have me convinced that lyme is definitly a strong probability. Please help with your specific input. Thanks in advance!

I also have slurred speach, especially when my head hurts really bead-
    I do not pronounce my words anymore, everything is such an eiffort-

Old 03-11-2004, 08:38 AM   #7
    DTemple

DTemple HB User

KKy,

When you found your lyme doctor and finally got the proper diagnosis, what was the treatment and are you better?

Old 03-15-2004, 09:51 AM   #8
    Scotchie

Scotchie HB User
    Exclamation Oh God yes, this disease can notoriously affect the voice

Quote:
    Originally Posted by reminc
    Speech and voice problems with Lyme Disease? You BET! I used to be an aspiring soprano when I was in my early 20's. A few years after getting this horrible horrible disease, my voice, along with all my childhood dreams of singing were lost to me. I became permanently "hoarse" with frequent bouts of total laryngitis. And though my vocal problems tend to wax and wane with treatment, as others have mentioned, I have never sounded the same as I did pre-Lyme. I too also have the stuttering/stammering/inability to pronounce words, or vocalize words sometimes, as a by-product of the neural damage that Lyme can do. Along with making my once razor-sharp mind become dull and almost handicapped at times to where I cannot seem to perform the simplest of tasks. Sometimes, I can't tell my left from right, north from south and feel almost dyslexic.

One of the most terrible things this disease has done to me, besides rob me of my hopes to sing professionally, has been to render me slow/incapable of performing my job. I went from being an A+ academic student with honors and scholarship awards to a woman who often spells her own name backwards.

Please do not feel you are alone...there are so many others out here, fighting and sharing your pain.

God Bless

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Mistakes are the portals of discovery

Last edited by Scotchie; 03-15-2004 at 09:55 AM.

Old 03-20-2004, 11:04 AM   #9
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

reminc, Lyme can cause many neurological symptoms including difficulty swallowing and speaking, hoarseness, and a deep or weak voice.

No Lyme test is completley reliable. Have you been evaluated by a Lyme knowledgeable doctor? Where do you live?

Old 04-02-2004, 10:14 AM   #10
    JANETD53

JANETD53 HB User

In 10/02 I became "ill" after a 6 day (first ever) dose of Prednisone. About day 3 after I stopped taking it, I thought I was having a stroke......my speech was slurred and I couldn't finish a sentence.......it's come and gone since then.....but I have a brain lesion, also from Lyme, and I think that's what makes that happen to me. There are MANY different neuro issues you can have from Lyme.....and I've got a boatload of them!! Mine is more neuro than arthritic. A year o f IV antibiotic therapy has not helped me.

I am going to visit a Neurologist (again) in May. I undoubtedly will be told, once again, that I have MS.

Good luck!!

Janet

Old 04-05-2004, 03:36 PM   #11
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Janet, have you seen a knowledgable Lyme doctor? Have you been tested for the co-infections that ticks can transmit? Where do you live?

Old 01-13-2005, 12:22 PM   #12
    JANETD53

JANETD53 HB User

I Too Suffer From Slurred Speech And Difficulty Putting Sentences Together Since I Became Ill With This Crazy Disease. My Recurs Unfortunately, But I Also Have A Brain Lesion From This, So I Imagine There's A Correlation. Seeing A Neuro In 2 Weeks. I Have Endured 2 Years Of Iv Rocephin And Many Different Oral Antibiotics, And I Only Get Better For Small Periods Of Time, And Then Crash Again. Hope You Fare Better Than Me.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:26 PM   #13
    JANETD53

JANETD53 HB User
    Talking Re: Voice or speech problems with lyme sufferers?

Wow Ticker, I just now read your reply to me from a year ago!! I have not been on this board in a LONG time!! I have a wonderful Lyme doc, in Tampa. I live a little north of Orlando......but, if you see my latest response to another, I am not better......and now have lesions in alot of different spots....I am sure the neuro is going to talk MS again, even though it's a different neuro, and an LLMD. We'll see.....I will keep you guys posted....

Janet

Old 01-13-2005, 12:49 PM   #14
    SpreadItAround

SpreadItAround HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JANETD53
    Wow Ticker, I just now read your reply to me from a year ago!! I have not been on this board in a LONG time!! I have a wonderful Lyme doc, in Tampa. I live a little north of Orlando......but, if you see my latest response to another, I am not better......and now have lesions in alot of different spots....I am sure the neuro is going to talk MS again, even though it's a different neuro, and an LLMD. We'll see.....I will keep you guys posted....

Janet
    Janet,

Ask your neurologist to order an EMG. It's a nerve conduction test. I just took one, it's unpleasant (electrical impulses, needles, etc.) but the neurologist was able to look me straight in the eye and say "You do not have ALS or MS", which is a big boost to me psychologically and narrows the field to Lyme even further...

Old 01-13-2005, 01:20 PM   #15
    JANETD53

JANETD53 HB User

Dear Spread,

Thanks for the advice, and I will do so......had one years ago for carpal tunnel, and yeah, they're no fun!! lol.......only problem is, I have so many burning, numb spots on me, I am thinking they'd had to EMG my whole body!! All radiologists that read my brain MRI diagnose MS, with Lyme as a differential, and that's only because my infectious disease doctor asks them to!!!

It was discovered on an MRI of my hips, that I have a large lesion in the iliosopsas (sp) muscle in left hip, and a lesion on sacrum......I am waiting to get a copy of the lumbar spine MRI now.....if there are lesions there too, I can almost guarantee they will "brand" me with MS......and maybe it is......but my infectious disease doc has always been leary of that, and I am totally aware of the almost exact symptoms correlation.

I will let you know what the "new" neuro says....

thanks,

Janet

Closed Thread