It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Rocephin (pic-line or central line?)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-08-2003, 03:15 PM   #1
    ACO#3

ACO#3 HB User
    Question Rocephin (pic-line or central line?)

After 2 years of oral antibiotics my doctor has approved the use of IV Rocephin. Apparently I have a choice of a pic-line or a central line. I know the central line requires a surgeon to put it in your upper chest area. Does anyone have any experience with either one of these. And is one better than the other. I'm not real fond of having any thing placed under my skin. It's covered under workers comp and I will be able to stay at home while being treated. The Doc said anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. Does that sound about right. Thanks for any info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2003, 05:36 PM   #2
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Hi ACO#3. Have you been tested for the co-infections that ticks can transmit--Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis HME & HGE, and Bartonella? This is very important because many people who have Lyme have one or more of the co-infections. Many Lyme doctors believe the co-infections need to be treated first for the Lyme treatment to be effective. Also, two to four weeks is not long IV treatment for Lyme, especially if you have been sick for over two years. Do you think your doctor is knowledgeable?

A PICC line is usually inserted near the inside elbow crease or several inches above this area. The insertion does not take very long. You can ask for a numbing cream called EMLA to put on the site to make it less painful (I did not think it was too bad). You need to cover the area with a PICC cover or saran wrap when taking a shower because it cannot get wet.

A port cath is inserted under the skin slightly below the collarbone. A needle stays in the site for people who need to infuse daily. Every week this needle needs to be changed by a nurse. You can put EMLA on the site one hour before the nurse comes. There is discomfort when the needle is changed. If the nurse is qualified, it is not too extreme but if the nurse is not qualified, it can be very painful. This area needs to be covered with a special plastic bandage when showering so the site does not get wet.

It is not difficult administering the IV medications, though it may seem overwhelming in the beginning. The most important thing for either kind of line, is to always keep the site clean and dry. An infection can be deadly. A nurse will usually show you how to infuse for a few days until you are comfortable doing it on your own.

[This message has been edited by ticker (edited 06-08-2003).]

Old 06-08-2003, 06:54 PM   #3
    ACO#3

ACO#3 HB User
    Yes I have been tested for co-infections. My Dr. has treated other Lyme patients. He is about a 3 hour drive from my home, but they sent me to him due to his experience. We thought we had it beat about 4 months ago, stopped the antibiotics, only to have it return this month with a fury! I did continue taking the antibiotics long after feeling well, but probably not long enough. This time along with the fatigue and all my other symptoms I have excruciating muscle cramps. Calves, Arms, Neck and Uppper Back. The worst is under the shoulder blades of the upper back. Its funny how it switches from side to side. Any ways when this happens I can hardly move. The knots seem to be pinching off nerves. I am now missing more work, so its time to get a little more tougher and try the Rocephin. And I'll be honest I'm not a big fan of needles. So it sounds like the PICC line is the way to go. If their is any other less invasive (painless) way to go, please let me know. So how long are most folks (with positve results) being left on IV Rocephin for? Thanks for the info.

Old 06-17-2003, 11:38 AM   #4
    craz8

craz8 HB User
    i have also had lyme for some time i had the pic line put in it is very bloody going in but does not hurt i whould go that way it worked very well for me i had it in for 35 days good luck let me no how you make out

Old 06-17-2003, 05:17 PM   #5
    ACO#3

ACO#3 HB User
    Craz8 I had the picc-line put in last week. Your right, bloody but not bad as far as pain. Did you get better after the picc-line? Did they have you on Rocephin? Did you continue orals afterwards? How are you feeling today?

Old 07-16-2003, 06:13 PM   #6
    harley

harley HB User
    I've had my Picc Line a couple of months.
    I was so nervous when I went to get it put in.
    I was worried for nothing it took a couple of minutes to put in and I did'nt feel it.
    They numb your arm first and they will take a chest x ray to see it's in the right place.

Old 07-23-2003, 10:26 AM   #7
    ticktock

ticktock HB User
    My son had a picc line and it was scary at first. We had no trouble with the line. He needed this for 7 weeks and it was fine!

Closed Thread