It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Whats the point of testing band 41 if its not "important"?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
    jennynj
    (female)

jennynj HB User
    Whats the point of testing band 41 if its not "important"?

I've been posting a lot lately....sorry for that. I am just trying to make sense of these tests. I always come up reactive for band 41 but EVERY DOCTOR has told me..."that band means nothing." Ok, but what's the point of testing for it if it doesn't mean anything?

Does anyone know what the importance (or lack of importance) this has on a diagnosis?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
    trigal
    (female)

trigal HB User
    Re: Whats the point of testing band 41 if its not "important"?

Hey There... I could be wrong but if my memory serves me correct...I too was/am very very high on the 41 band and was told that in people who have had the dreaded lyme vaccination years ago typically test high positive on the 41 band. I also thought that band coorelated to autoimmune issues. Again, I am going on memory here so I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that is what my LLMD told me about my high high 41 band.

But a very good question..if it is not important then why test that one?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

My understanding is that 41 is one of the key bands for Lyme.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
    trigal
    (female)

trigal HB User

That is interesting...I am going to look back at my old file/notes because I alway stayed high on band 41 but thought it was due to vaccination...Now you have me wondering...Hope others chime in on this question!

Old 05-28-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

This is from my notes:

Band 41: flagellin protein of all spirochetes; this is usually the first to appear after a Bb infection and is specific for all Borrellia

Jen

PS: I have information on all the bands (what they mean). I'm not sure, however, if I can post that info. here.

Last edited by jenj770; 05-28-2009 at 12:07 PM.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
    jennynj
    (female)

jennynj HB User

Yes...I read the same info. It seems that while its an important band...that alone will not get you a dx. I have been on antibiotics like 2-3 times this year for a sinus infection and my brother in law (who has Lyme) says that that alone, could make other bands negative. I am so frustrated because if I had just one more...I could be treated.

You know, I can't afford to go to these Dr.'s who don't accept insurance. What's the deal with that? Don't most Dr.'s take some insurance. The 4 dr.s I called in my area DO NOT take any- so weird. Any way, with +41 band, the lesion in my head and my vertigo, ear ringing, panic attacks, heart palps, floaters, etc... you would think someone would take it seriously - arg! Sorry for that

Old 05-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

And ... you really don't need to have any bands positive to have Lyme. A great many people go by symptomology since the bands are not always a reliable indicator.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
    22dreams
    (female)

22dreams HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennynj View Post

You know, I can't afford to go to these Dr.'s who don't accept insurance. What's the deal with that? Don't most Dr.'s take some insurance. The 4 dr.s I called in my area DO NOT take any- so weird. for that
    Because I have cognitive dysfunction from neuro-lyme, I'll let others address this question. See their (anonymous) quotes below. Hope it's kosher & makes sense to you. Essentially, some doctors feel the need to be off the radar and they aren't off-base:

" Why don't doctors admit to working with Lyme disease?
    Because they'll become targets for insurance companies who will challenge their medical licensing with the state. How do insurance companies do that? They assert that the physicians are prescribing treatment which exceeds the IDSA standards of three to four weeks of oral antibiotics. "

"Doctors who prescribe longer courses of antibiotic treatment, or take
    other aggressive measures required for cure, may be
    subject to the same treatment as (NY doctor), (NC/SC Doctor),
    (CT doctor), and 50 other physicians who have been investigated
    or sanctioned by state medical boards.

Ironically, long courses of doxycycline, the most commonly used
    antibiotic in Lyme treatment, are routinely prescribed
    for acne."

" what we'd like to point out is that the dispute over Lyme treatment seems to be impacted by financial concerns driven by the insurance industry, the consequence of which is that Lyme patients do not get diagnosed or treated."

"(A doctor in NC)had his medical license suspended for one year based on his treatment of Lyme patients (the suspension was stayed, and he moved his practice to South Carolina).

The suspension allowed Blue Cross to sue him for up to $100 million for treating patients who were insured by them. As you can imagine, this put him out of business in North Carolina, and threw him and his practice into bankruptcy. "

This same doctor : "Dr. J is a nationally known authority on both HIV/AIDS and Lyme Borreliosis Complex (LBC), having participated in numerous regional and national/international conferences concerned with these topics.

For well over two decades, Dr. J was acknowledged as the region’s leading care provider in HIV/AIDS. In early 1983, Dr. J diagnosed the first case of HIV/AIDS in his state. This seminal event foreshadowed Dr. J’s first clinical trial in HIV/AIDS research in 1989, a trial which involved AZT, the first drug approved for use in HIV/AIDS treatment.

This date in 1989 marked the beginning of an uninterrupted 16-year legacy in which Dr. J and his research staff were at the forefront of FDA-approved clinical trials for new drugs for HIV/AIDS treatment.

For 23 years, Dr. J and his staff provided innovative and ground breaking medical care for the largest population of HIV/AIDS patients served by the private health sector in the Carolinas, until his practice was involuntarily halted in the spring of 2006 by the actions against him by the North Carolina Medical Board (NCMB) and Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina (BCBSNC). " -- for treatment of lyme disease.

Last edited by 22dreams; 05-28-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
    jennynj
    (female)

jennynj HB User

Actually my brother in law addressed this with me earlier (he has Lyme). He had to pay A LOT of money to finally get a diagnosis - so I am glad that he (and others) get their treatment BUT....some of the Dr.'s in my area charge $500 for the visit! Never mind the meds and follow ups... I mean that is ridiculous. Really, there should be some kind of sliding scale for some people that fit a financial need criteria because to have all these people get more sick as the days pass is just wrong. I totally understand the problem with insurance companies, though. Its just so frustrating!

Closed Thread