It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Lyme Disease Message Board

• Tick bite question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
    lhtst2
    (male)

lhtst2 HB User
    Tick bite question

I've noticed 5-6 ticks on myself, my dog and my wife over the last two weeks but haven't found any imbedded. My question is, I found a red bump/rash at the hairline of my 2 year old son yesterday and am worrying myself to death. He plays in a sandbox in our backyard all of the time and I'm worried that we missed a tick and inadvertantly broke its body off with the head still in my son's neck while it was feeding.

The bump was about 75% the size of a dime and had a puss scab over it. I picked the scab off when I was looking at it. Is there a chance that the head of a tick is in there? If there was, would I be able to see it? Finally, the area was significantly swollen. Are these signs of a tick bite and should I be worried?

Worried Dad!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User
    Re: Tick bite question

If you didn't see anything when you removed the scab then probably the tick was not in there but I wouldn't know this for sure. I just wanted to say (hopefully reassure you) that not all ticks carry the Lyme spirochete, some are harmless. Do you live in a heavily infected Lyme/tick area?

If you want to further ease your mind you could have your son's blood tested at Igenex Lab. If he should have Lyme treatment needs to begin immediately. In the future, if you notice a tick on you save it and have the tick tested.

I wish you all the best,

Jen

Last edited by jenj770; 05-03-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
    lhtst2
    (male)

lhtst2 HB User

I live in Virginia 3 miles outside of DC. From what I've read, lyme disease isn't a problem in our area, but then again, I'm a huge worry wort.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

Hi again,

I just wouldn't want you not to get Tx for your son if he might have Lyme. Timing is most important. If you can get abx right after a bite the chances are very good of not developing Lyme Disease. The longer you wait, the less likely.

Many of us here can attest to this syndrome - doctors not understanding LD, receiving many wrong diagnoses or inadequate treatment. In the meantime, the months and years go by while the bacterium gets a strong foothold in our bodies.

Do you have an LLMD in your area you could consult?

Again, all the best,

Jen

The Following User Says Thank You to jenj770 For This Useful Post:
    Chenhongxp (07-03-2012)
    Closed Thread